Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone painted the black inside part of the TYC tail lights? Is it possible?

I photoshopped this, but you get the point.

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry for the small photo above, couldn't edit? So repost as attachment.

Attachments

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I don't know if I like it, atleast not with them lights.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
I think the Mazoria (Maziora).....Torched Penny looks good like that because it's such a dark color.

I'd have to see a better photoshop of the TCM before I'd say go for it, but it's definitely an excellent idea none the less!

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I'm not too good at photoshop yet, sorry. Just seeing how possible it is. I've never takin apart tails or painted them before, so what do you think the difficulty rating on this is?

Hey Bowlofrice, I got the sticker off of ebay.

·
3,453 Posts
I would imagine that it'd be a few days project. Make sure you have a backup set of taillights so you don't have to rush the project.

Someone else on here, TG I believe, opened up headlamps and then cleaned the 'glue' that holds them together and used silicone.....I'm too lazy to search for the thread.

Anyways, as for the difficulty, you'd have to cook them, which, if left in too long, or too hot, can warp the tails. Then, pulling them apart, having enough colormatched paint to cota it well, clearcoat, and then putting them back together.

I'd say, probably intermediate level.

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
you dont have to bake the tails they arent glued they have a o-ring gasket at least the stock ones the tycs might be the same ;)
Dude thanks for the tip! Butter knives are awsome. Look mom, it's the new No Bake taillights!!!!

Thought I'd post some pictures of the process. The thin butter knives slide right between the clear lense tabs and the grey plastic housing. They are tight enough to hold the knives as you work your way around it, so you should be find with just two hands!

Well it took me about 15 minutes to do both. And for all the newbies like me, my toe is showing you which one is apart! To bad its midnight, gotta go to bed. Thanks again for the info!

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
no edit button sucks

these are the pics they didnt copy i had to host them and we can no longer edit our posts WTF

see the whole thread search diy clearing taillights

·
3,453 Posts
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude, that rocks!

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does anyone by chance know if the TYC's are the same? I'd hate to buy them and have to bake 'em, I'm not betty crocker.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'd love to know that myself. I've seen TYC's w/ blue dots and w/ amber lenses. I don't know if people are making these lenses or what but when you go to the TYC website they don't even list a Scion so I'm thourougly cornfused.
I bought a set used and one of the has what looks to be separtation between the clear and the housing around the edge causing the black to look like cracked enamel. I'd like to take them apart and color match them to my BOP same as my fiancee's RS 4.0 is done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've tried opening up my TYC's to install blue dots. In not so many words, I found it impossible to remove the lens without damaging it. The black applique seperated from the lens. It now looks like poop. So, even if I were successful in removing the lens completely, it would look horrible after re-assembly IMHO. Hope this helps.

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've tried opening up my TYC's to install blue dots. In not so many words, I found it impossible to remove the lens without damaging it. The black applique seperated from the lens. It now looks like poop. So, even if I were successful in removing the lens completely, it would look horrible after re-assembly IMHO. Hope this helps.
I would want to paint it after opening. Paint all the black parts TCM (color of my box) that should fix the poop look, right?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey! I also have a TCM and the TYC taillights! I went to a place called star body and paint in Azusa about a year ago to have this done... Thought I was the only one. hahaha but unfortunately they couldnt do it because aftar they broke the seal they couldnt rebake it plus when they did they said the paint started crackin so they gave me my money back. : ( I hope this helps you. I hope ya dont waste your time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.