Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has everyone already seen this?

is so, well... it good enough to see again.

looks like Christmas break might be busy.

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
A lot of work there. Filling all the little dash dimples to paint the entire thing. That photo is a bit fuzzy but I hope the paint looks better in person. The execution doesn't look so good from this picture. If you are going to go to all the trouble to completely remove the entire dash fro this treatment...make dam sure the craftsmanship is on par with the effort to get there. Think also about the reflection from all that shiny black dash area (and the fact that the fillers etc used to fill in the dash grain may not last very well??), could be annoying while driving. Doing the detail pieces guage surround, radio surround etc in gloss is certainly no biggie...but I am not sure that if you are going to paint the rest of the dash as well that maybe it should be semi-gloss to semi-flat.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what a buzz kill.

I think it looks great. he had just installed it and it was dusty. he kicked butt and did the job right - it's on par.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Didnt mean to be that way. I assume that the photo and conditions don't show the full effect of the work. "That photo is a bit fuzzy but I hope the paint looks better in person." (Perhaps the word assume instead of hope would have been more what I meant.) My concerns about full gloss on the entire dash come from the fact that I have a full painted dash car.

It's dash area that is painted is relatively small and can still be annoying now and then. The xB has such a monster expanse of plastic that I would advise anyone considering gloss painting the entire thing to make sure that is what they want. Trying to be helpfull not mean. The effect if done well can be jaw dropping, and what you have posted may be. Just beware of the pitfalls that come along with such a mod:)

·
scikotics
1,005 Posts
Looks good. I seen a plastic paintable dash that installs over your dash so it can be removed and repainted or if trading it in looks cool. I just don't remember who was selling it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear ya. thanks for bringing up the glare issue, cause it's an item that can be missed - especially w/ the lighter colors.

that dash pic you attached... jaw dropping! that's a beauty.

Didnt mean to be that way. I assume that the photo and conditions don't show the full effect of the work. "That photo is a bit fuzzy but I hope the paint looks better in person." (Perhaps the word assume instead of hope would have been more what I meant.) My concerns about full gloss on the entire dash come from the fact that I have a full painted dash car.

It's dash area that is painted is relatively small and can still be annoying now and then. The xB has such a monster expanse of plastic that I would advise anyone considering gloss painting the entire thing to make sure that is what they want. Trying to be helpfull not mean. The effect if done well can be jaw dropping, and what you have posted may be. Just beware of the pitfalls that come along with such a mod:)

·
Tha KrackaBox
328 Posts
Yes I plan on doing the dash white. I am aware of the issues and don't mind them at all. It's gonna look awesome when I can find a way to get it done.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't have any pics on hand, but i've had my dash painted black for over 6 months now, and have had no problems with glare. The worse thing that has ever happened in sense of glare has been nighttime driving on the interstate, the street lights reflect off of the dash to the windshield, but thats it. The prep work that went into it was quite extensive to get it right though. ;)

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Lots of work, doing the stuff I did took a lot of prep sanding, primering, sanding primering and finally spray the color wet sanding and clear coat.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Easiest thing to do is sand the dimples off, I did the tops of my doors. They came out slicker than the exterior paint with no buffing.

Attachments

·
Dori Dori
360 Posts
a friend of mine did his dash white in his Civic... it was a nice paintjob and all just that the glare was retarded. Before you even do it put like pieces of paper on ur dash and go drive around. U will c what im talking about. The glare is overwhelming.

Im actually thinking of doing a full suede dash. Once its done ill post pics. They will also be available for to buy once i start making them.

So far most of the Boxes interior is suede. Just a matter of time before the seats and everything else is done. Just no time to do it right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts