Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Saturday i went to the local hobbyshop and picked up a few things...A can of Krylon Outdoor something, silver with a metallic finish. This was some good stuff when i was checking the position of the nozzle i sprayed it and you could see it sparkle while it was in the air. And some blie stain glass tint.

First i sprayed the clear plastic cover for the speedo. The tint starts off foggy and clears up nice. i did the outside at first, and noticed the inside looked better, so i cleaned it before it dried and then spreayed the inside. In the pic you'll notice the bubble spots and barely the spot where i hit the black pare before it was completley dry. So i took the pic and then tried to fix it...disaster...now the places where i tried to fix it are foggy. I will have to remove it and try again.



I sprayed the rear strut cover and the rear grilles that come off, and the rear door haldle i guess. First i hit it with the silver, because i wanted blue to shine a little, but all they had was the chrome blue, and i didn't want that. The sliver looked good. Let it dry(or so i thought) then hit it with the stain glass tint. That was for the grilles and the strut covers. I'll redo them silver too. Then i started with the door handles, they were a total disaster...so i will redo them in just the silver.

 

·
TheOtherGuys
Joined
·
7,988 Posts
I like the gauge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Point_Oh said:
do you have a pic of it at night?
No, because i messed up the painting of the other clear part behing the gauge itself...so the lighting isn't that great. and as a matter of fact, i take off the clear/blue part at night. I have pic i'll put it up tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,923 Posts
Nice. I'm excited to see how that speedo looks at night. I was toying with the idea and I'm glad someone else did it first. Nice to not be the guinea pig!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heres the speedo at night, without the cover. if the cover was on, it would be a little darker.


And heres the reason it didn't come out so hot...but i will fix it this weekend. Friday was rushing and i used the little bucket of paint to do it, the ones at the top of the pic. I will try and clean it to use the spray can. The brush method didn't work good, because i didn't even it out(rushing)...I also did the piece behind the a/c controls and the bulbs. I will have to redo those too, because its too dark.


So you'll probably get it right Taz, because you take you time the first time. and i take my time like the second or third.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,923 Posts
Big_Kokujin said:
Heres the speedo at night, without the cover. if the cover was on, it would be a little darker.


And heres the reason it didn't come out so hot...but i will fix it this weekend. Friday was rushing and i used the little bucket of paint to do it, the ones at the top of the pic. I will try and clean it to use the spray can. The brush method didn't work good, because i didn't even it out(rushing)...I also did the piece behind the a/c controls and the bulbs. I will have to redo those too, because its too dark.


So you'll probably get it right Taz, because you take you time the first time. and i take my time like the second or third.

It ain't perfect but it's a great idea! I'm gonna try this myself. Spray stained glass paint...it's what I've been looking for! Nice work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
im not sure if it will work but im pretty sure you can use the spray tint they use for tails and head lights, thats what im gonna use on mine maybe today or tomorrow, ill let you guys know how that goes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found it at the local hobbyshop. the thing that sucks(pretty bad too) is that i only found it in 3oz cans...and they were $4 each, i went through 2 of them. Oh, i forgot, I also tried to do the dome light cover and that came out worse than the door handles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,923 Posts
BigWill184 said:
im not sure if it will work but im pretty sure you can use the spray tint they use for tails and head lights, thats what im gonna use on mine maybe today or tomorrow, ill let you guys know how that goes...
Do they make it in blue?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
Hey guys... There's a better way to do change the lights to blue (or whateber color you want)

in both the a/c controls, as well as the spedometer, there are LEDs.
You can either a:

Take off the cap (if there is one) that makes it amber, and replace it with a colored cap of your choice (found at most automotive stores)

or

If you soldier, you can just replace the Led's with any color you'd like

or

You can go the cheap route and use a color sharpie to paint the Leds (not permantent, it will fade, but a cool effect for temporary use)

or

The route I chose: Get a gelpack for spotlights. You can get them at most places that sell DJ equiptment.

They look like this:


You can cut out some, and tape it over the leds, OR if you want the whole spedometer to be the secected color, you can just cut them to fit.

Side note: They come in a plethora of colors, not just the colors shown.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
we knew about the 1st 2nd and 3rd way, but thats just it everybody knows...the way i did it is different, I think...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
It works nice cause it'll never fade, it's cheap, easy to install, and easily reversable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,923 Posts
DJArchngl said:
It works nice cause it'll never fade, it's cheap, easy to install, and easily reversable.
Does look like a cool way to do it. I've got the LED's but I'm not that good at soldering little tiny things yet and my bro-in-law who is just had surgery. Always good to have more than one way to do things!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its gonna be a b, trying to clean the clear part behind the speedo....damn, i wish i would have planned it better. But when/if i do get it straight, i will leave it clear since the cover will be blue...

that is a good idea...what about using the colored Saran Wrap? That might work too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
surfcitylocal said:
Do they make it in blue?
im not sure if they do, picked up the orange at super autobacs they did have alot of colors but I never checked to see if there was a blue....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
DJArchngl said:
Hey guys... There's a better way to do change the lights to blue (or whateber color you want)

in both the a/c controls, as well as the spedometer, there are LEDs.
You can either a:

Take off the cap (if there is one) that makes it amber, and replace it with a colored cap of your choice (found at most automotive stores)
if you replace the cap with blue caps, you get more of a light blue/aqua color not really blue....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
Big_Kokujin said:
that is a good idea...what about using the colored Saran Wrap? That might work too.

Nope.

Too thin, not dark enough. Keep in mind that those lights are hella bright.

Just like BigWill184 said.. even the caps wich are thick plastic come out aqua.

So saran wrap will come out clear... won't even show a color.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top