Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my wife's 2006 Camo xB, the dealership offered me the lifetime warranty rustproofing and also the Paint Sealer/Sealant + ScotchGuard for the interior.

I managed to get the rustproofing thrown into the deal :p but was wondering if anyone has gotten the Paint Sealer/Sealant applied or if it is even needed.

This xB is being driven in the frigid environment of Toronto, Ontario, Canada so the rustproofing was a given.

Anyone got the Paint Sealer/Sealant done? Wondering if its needed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Scotchgard is a good idea, but you can do that yourself. The rust proofing is a waste of money and the paint sealer is a joke. If you want that paint sealer you can find it for sale on ebay sometimes. But it really doesn't do anything. You're better off with a good wax.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input.

Like I said, the rustproofing I got for free but really didn't know anything about the paint sealer. Wax it is!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Wow, there seems to be a rash of bad Scion dealers lately.

First, nothing should ever be "thrown in" on a Scion deal. Any dealer doing that should be shot, but only in the foot so they learn for next time. That's 100% against the Scion Covenant.

Second, they apparently didn't explain their environmental protection system well enough.

Ours is by a company called Auto Armor and is three parts. The paint protection on the outside which is actually a semi-permanant Teflon (R) coating on all painted surfaces, the rustproofing and undercoating which is a spray on material that covers both the underside of the car and the interior of all metal body panels below the belt line and the interior protection which makes Scotch Guard look rediculously feeble. The interior package covers all seats, carpet, and dash/console pieces with a chemical that locks the fibers against stains.

The only reason these products aren't on my car are because of my modifications. Vinyl doesn't stick to the Teflon and I bolt too many things to the underside of my car to coat it. I have the interior protection.

Hopefully that helps you guys. I see these products benefiting people every day if they are done correctly. They are not for everyone, but they do add value and protection to your car. They should be carefully considered for your car and not dismissed out of hand.

-Alex

·
Registered
103 Posts
Teflon in wax does nothing. To coat something in teflon requires heat. I worked in a dealership and used to apply rustproofing, what a joke.
If Scion wanted to be really different they'd have a way of purchasing a car direct, the whole process of going to the dealer makes my skin crawl. The dealership I went to made me sign a form when I didn't purchase the $3,000 worth of add-ons they tried to sell me. Its like they're trying to make you feel like you're doing something wrong for not purchasing it what amounts to nothing more than snake oil. Plus where on Scions web site does it say that they recommend that stuff anyway.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Drewspeed_xB said:
Thanks for the input.

Like I said, the rustproofing I got for free but really didn't know anything about the paint sealer. Wax it is!!!! :)
Did they actually take your box after you wanted the rustproofing? Because rustproofing would take some time to do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was done prior to me taking delivery of the vehicle.

I do realize most of these "dealer" supplied options are more of a smokescreen if anything but when its free does it really matter?

But again, thanks for the input regarding the paint sealant.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Trek777 said:
Teflon in wax does nothing. To coat something in teflon requires heat. I worked in a dealership and used to apply rustproofing, what a joke.

JSYK, we do use heat to apply the Teflon so it does bond to the paint. Otherwise you're right, it doesn't bond and doesn't protect.

-Alex

·
Registered
176 Posts
grizzly_choppers said:
JSYK, we do use heat to apply the Teflon so it does bond to the paint. Otherwise you're right, it doesn't bond and doesn't protect.

-Alex
I used to spray cars and this is new to me. Was the teflon bonded in an oven or just a hot paint booth?
Also my .02 cents...
I never get rustproofing or anything like that. if I did want it I could buy at wholesale prices and do it myself and save alot of money... As far as scotchgard goes... I would have gotten it, stains just look unprofessional.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
My guys use a buffer of sorts to apply the teflon. Apparently the friction of the buffer creates enough heat to bond the teflon to the paint.

Now, before anybody says that there's no way this would create enough heat let me say that it DOES work. After we apply this stuff things just don't stick to the paint for years afterward. Several of our dealership staff have this system on their cars and it actually does work. Tree sap and road salt are the true tests out here in Iowa and on the protected vehicles they do NO damage.

-Alex

·
Registered
78 Posts
actually your right a buffer with the right pad can generate an assload of heat. i paint cars on the side and when you buff a car for too long it can get hot enough to burn your skin, also you can burn through the clear and have to repaint it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Funny when I worked at a dealer we had a customer come in who had gotten exterior house paint on his car. He had paid for the paint sealant and thought that it should have protected the car. It didn't of course and other than suggesting using a little WD40 to remove the paint there was nothing we could do for him. Its been a while since I've seen the box the paint sealant comes in but I don't recall it saying to apply burn it on with a buffer. As I recall you just apply it like you would a wax.
Yes a buffer in the wrong hands can burn through the paint. Which makes it even more implausible that you would use a buffer to generate enough heat to bake the paint sealant on.
The Teflon does in the sealant does nothing its just a gimmick to get people to purchase this overpriced and unneeded product.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.