Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good code reader that shows the more than the error?
Has anyone's overheating light (flashing) just turned off but the other 3 lights of death stayed on?
I changed my thermostat a month ago.
This was the first time overheating since I changed the thermostat.
Details:
I was driving my 2006.5 and the over heating light turned on, flashing. The 3 lights turned on before I could pull over. I added some water, waited then took off for home. The 3 lights stayed on on the way home, when I was around the corner from the house and the lights overheating light turned on again. Before I got home the 3 lights of hell stayed on but then the overheating light turned off. Thoughts?

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,499 Posts
If it overheated a second time there is a very good possibility that you have a blown head gasket and quite possibly have warped the head.

As for an OBD2 reader most of them just give you the code and then you can look up the problem online. If you have an Android you can even get an OBD2 to Bluetooth adapter and scan the codes with the Torque App.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today all the lights are off. I'm new to car mechanics and this is a pain, I just don't know enough and can't google fast enough.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
The 3 stooges lights, as some people call them, are a indicator that you have a problem. Go to AutoZone or Advance Auto and they will scan your vehicle for free. They will Not reset the codes. Once they tell you the codes, you can start troubleshooting from there.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Flashing check engine is normally associated with catalytic converter issue isn't it? IIRC that's what it means on my Tacoma. If cat is clogged I can imagine it causing engine to strain and possibly overheat.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Check out elm327 bluetooth on ebay for $10 and then torque app for andriod or car scanner app on apple to read and clear codes and also use fon for additional gauges

·
Registered
386 Posts
Says can be misfires or cat issue but says ignition is most common. I can see misfire causing light and engine running like crap but overheating sounds more like cat issue. Either way don't drive it until seeing what is causing it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Also found that timing could have jumped, egr issue, vvti or cam sensor. The overheating tho........

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Fill it up and run it just sitting and give it some revs, look under your Box to see where the leak is coming from. Also check your oil to see if it look milky. A cracked head usually will have antifreeze seeping into your oil.

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,499 Posts
Flashing check engine is normally associated with catalytic converter issue isn't it? IIRC that's what it means on my Tacoma. If cat is clogged I can imagine it causing engine to strain and possibly overheat.
Flashing check engine light is associated with going "oh ****" It means there is something seriously wrong and the car needs to stop being used until it is fixed so it isn't screwed up more. Also the car will usually go into limp mode to try and prevent more damage,

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm making plans to get a code reader, literally 10 bucks is too much for this week with rent due. I'll be working on my box asap. Thank you all for the advice

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well if I wasn't 1500 miles away I'd just pop over, plug mine in and see whatcha got......With what's going on, driving it somwhere that'd read it for free wouldn't probably be good idea either. Hope it ends up being easy fix

1 - 12 of 12 Posts