Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,bare with me here.I am picky about my cars and wash the box several times a week.One issue that is driving me nuts is how much water the mirror holds.I use compressed air to blow out all the spots that fill up(door handles,emblems etc)after I wash the box.The mirrors never seem to empty and I get the "water spot" splash when I drive it later.There IS a drain hole on the bottom of the mirror but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick.Anybody else have this problem?I think I may pull the mirrors and take a look at places I can safely drill additional drain holes.
BTW....the drivers side seems to be worse than the passenger side.
Thanks

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
no drain, and yes it is annoying.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Especially on your dark colored Xb's. That seriously sux when you spend 20-25 bucks to detail your ride and you get home and you have 3 foot sprays from the mirrors draining water. Also, water collects behind the fog light covers.:( I usually go straight home and re-wet the doors and clean it again.

·
Registered
485 Posts
you know what works for me? Use those compressed air cans they have for computers and use those. About 20 seconds to do each mirror and it should get all the water out. Ive been doing it for about 5 months now and it has worked perfectly... i havent had any spots since.

The most efficient technique is to spray the top of the mirror crevace and work your way to the bottom. If you spray in a random fashion your gonna get spots still. It works very well actually

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I think he might be talking about the water spots down the side of his car from the mirror, even after using the compressed air. This is one of my major pet peeves too. The drivers side does appear to be the worst offender. Why is that, I wonder??

My other peeve is the water spotting that occurs on the bumper after you close the hatch, even after it's been thoroughly hand dried.

I'm always cleaning up after all those damn spots. I shouldn't have gotten a bleepin' black car.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
boxd_up said:
The drivers side does appear to be the worst offender. Why is that, I wonder??

If I remember right, the drivers mirror is a little different than the passenger. It is at a different angle or something, the base of it is shaped a little different. Think that might be the reason for the drivers being worse.

I am now running down stairs to check!

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Padanky said:
If I remember right, the drivers mirror is a little different than the passenger. It is at a different angle or something, the base of it is shaped a little different. Think that might be the reason for the drivers being worse.

I am now running down stairs to check!
Nevermind, they are the same. I guess I was thinking of my old 03' Protege5, they were different. Sorry:eek:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
boxd_up said:
I'm always cleaning up after all those damn spots. I shouldn't have gotten a bleepin' black car.
Amen :(

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
boxd_up said:
I think he might be talking about the water spots down the side of his car from the mirror, even after using the compressed air. This is one of my major pet peeves too. The drivers side does appear to be the worst offender. Why is that, I wonder??

My other peeve is the water spotting that occurs on the bumper after you close the hatch, even after it's been thoroughly hand dried.

Oh :cool:

·
Registered
501 Posts
I am so glad to see that I am not the only person that is tortured by this.

It's worse on my driver side door, too. I'm always having to go rewet the door and wipe it back down. It's probably worse cause I have a BOP. And I've never been anal about any car, but I am about this one.

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
I am very annoyed by this too:mad:
As for the cure: drive on the freeway for couple of miles and then clean up your doors and glass with damp towel. Water seems to come out of everywhere: bumpers, sideskirts etc and using compressed air after wash doesnt seem to help much. Higher speed driving seems to blow everything out though.

·
Registered
206 Posts
^^^^ same here!! i drive around the block after i wash my xb and it usually does the trick...

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I think every car does this, UNLESS you leave the car parked in the sun for a few hours. But a small 1/8" hold would do, and be ready to get questioned at the next show.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.