Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i've tried searching this for a while now, but can't find an answer, i know people have put the optima's in the xBs, but everyone says you have to bend the positive connector to make it fit.....has anyone tried just running a new power wire without that red box thats on our positive cable? or is there some importance to that?? i've seen toybox dave run a distibution block (which i would love to do), but does that red box have to stay on there???

thanks!

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I made an extension for mine.

The xB is at home, and I'll try and get a pic this weekend.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so neither of ya'll have actually removed the red box? and do either of you know what it is? in my old civic, i had actually removed the positive cable (no red box) and just ran a 4 gauge wire to the battery...wanna try to do the same with the box, just scared of that red box!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
master fuse eh? hmmm...wonder if i can just run an inline fuse and hide that.....hmmmmmm..........i guess i'll try to find out the hard way :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had an optima in my b, and all you have to do is make an extension and tuck that red box out of the way. I now have a Stinger1700 battery down in there.. not a fun fit, but i wouldn't have it any other way

·
Scion 100,000 mile club
3,481 Posts
Ok guys and gals i need so help i installed my yellow top optima batt last night and i ended up bending the positive connector so it would fit. I really don't like the way its on there and would like to know how i could make an extension i was reading how some of you made the extensions to make them fit any pics or instructions??

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a Tsunami X151700 battery in my xB. the battery posts have to be screwed down, but the red box connector will fit under the battery terminal. all you have to do is flatten out the metal piece that the red fuse box is attached to.
the optimas however don't have that luxury of removable battery terminals.
and there are 3 fuses in the red fuse box. I was going to remove the red box but I didn't want to put 3 fuse holders under the hood, it would look to cluttered.

·
Registered
284 Posts
i would like to know how to install multiple optima battery's

·
Registered
32 Posts
there are a couple different ways:
1) you would just connect the (+) positive of each battery together and the (-) negitive of each battery together. If the second battery is in the back you can ground the (-) negitive of the back battery somewhere in the back as long as it's a good grounding point like a bolt in the frame. I ran the (-) of the front battery to the back and grounded both batteries at the same place. Make sure you run the correct gauge wire (for positive and ground) and fuse the power wire. Also you want to make sure both batteries are the same model and roughly the same age. This could be debated but better safe then sorry.

The advantage of this way is there isn't any extra parts to buy and you can play your stereo with the key off longer.

The disadvantage is you create more load on the alternator and you have to worry about how long you play the system because since both batteries will be drained.

2) you can use a dual battery isolator. (this is the way I went). Basicly an isolator is 2 huge diodes preventing the two batteries from draining off one another. the isolator has 3 posts, one for the alternator wire(the center post), one for the front battery, and one for the back battery. the alternator will charge both batteries however because of the diodes the batteries cannot draw off each other.

The advantages of this way is as long as the stereo wiring is off the back battery the front battery will stay charged so even if you kill the back battery the front one will still start the car.

the disadvantages are since the isolators have diodes there will be a voltage drop, usually .7 volts. so if the alternator is putting out 14v the batteries will see 13.3v. also the alternators in the Scions have a wire that need to see what voltage the battery is at. well since the isolator prevents the alternator from seeing this voltage you have to run a wire to either batteries (+) positive terminal. the problem with that is if the front battery is fully charged the back one may need more charging but the alternator thinks it's fully charged.

3) use a high amperage relay. Basicly it's a really big relay that can handle alot of amperage. the way this one works is you have 4 connections(2 small terminals and 2 big terminals); one small terminal goes to ground, the other small terminal goes to the ignition wire (so it knows when you turn the key on and off), one large terminal goes to the front battery (+) positive terminal, and the other large terminal goes to the back batteries (+) positive terminal.

The advantages of this is when the key is off the relay disconnects the connection of the front and back batteries, preventing you from running the front battery dead. once the car is started the relay connects the two batteries together so to charge them both.

The disadvantges are you are putting more load on the alternator.

so you can see there are pros and cons to every way. I'm sure I missed some other points but you get the idea. just go with which way you are comfortable with, all 3 will do the job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.