Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After you buy an Optima battery for your Scion, the positive cable doesn't reach anymore so here's the DIY to fix that problem:

--------------------------------------
MATERIALS NEEDED:
1"x2" strip of aluminum 1/8"thick (this can be found at a hardware store)
(1) 8mm x 1.25 x 20mm bolt
(1) 8mm x 1.25 nut
(2) 8mm or 5/16 flat washers
(1) 8mm or 5/16 lock washer
Red locktite
tape measure
metal saw/die grinder/snips
drill with 5/16 bit or Unibit (my favorite)
marker
--------------------------------------
Let's begin now:

First I measured out the piece of aluminum to mark.

I made a 2" line for cutting. (I never said I could do a straight line)

It should look like this now.

Now it's time for the marks for the holes. I measured 1/2" from the out side edge on each side and put a dot dead center in the aluminum. (hint: the aluminum has lines running thru it so that you can know that you have it on the correct mark. In this picture they run horizontal.)

Drill a 5/16 hole at each mark. You can check this with your bolt to see if you are done. Using the unibit will give you a better look.
Here's after the holes are drilled.

I cleaned up the edges a little on a grinder and sander but that's your preference.

Here's the finished product installed:

If anyone doesn't want to make them but wants one I'll do it for $10 to cover the cost of materials and shipping. I do this as a hobby. Thank you and I hope it helps.

Jason

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Very nice work Jason. This is gonna help a lotta peeps.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I dont know why I did mine the way I did. I should of done it your way. I made my stock one fit somehow without any extension... maybe its because I have a blue optima?

Peace

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just trying to help. I get bored a lot at work...who wants to do what their supposed to anyway.
Lol, I think your mod is a good one. Someone else told me that there might be kits that do just that and extend the battery terminal but I never found one that fit. So your mod is helpful, the only prob is to mod a plastic cover so it still covers, and mine barely covers the terminal correctly.

Peace

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Now just have them anodized to finish the look, nice work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
the blue top is for marine purposes, its the best one for the job if you have alot of electrical devices that require a lot of power, its a deep cycle battery, im getting ready to get one for mine once im running my 2 2000 watt amps and 4 5000 watt kicker subs...

·
Registered
99 Posts
here's the break down for optima batteries

red top - dry cel non-deep cycle battery (just like a regular battery but you can mount it in any posisition)

yellow top - dry cel deep cycle battery (good for cars w/ upgraded electronics)

blue top - marine dry cel deep cycle battery (best all around)

only bad note bout these bout these batteries is that they die quick if your car isn't a daily driver. then again if your car isn't a daily driver you should unplug your battery anyway.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Are these still available?

And can anyone tell me what size Optima I should buy for the xB?

·
Registered
152 Posts
My stereo's nothing great--50x4 head unit and 325w amp with 1 10" sub--but soon I'll be hooking up an Xbox in my car. This will be running off a 400w inverter and going to my in-dash DVD player. When I go camping I might also plug in a 13" TV. Obviously the stock battery will take a beating from this. Which Optima would be the best for my setup?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.