Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how many of you have changed to the optima battaries?
I have a Red Top on my solara.

But I took a look at model #34 red top and the battery looks a little big to fit.
What model # are you guys using???

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Yellow tops are a deep cycle battery. They like to charge a bit differently then a standard car battery. I did a system in a buddys boat. Ran 4 blue tops in series. Worked very well, but had to put them all on seperate chargers to get them ready to go again. Not sure that a yellow top is ideal. Please tell me if Im missing something here.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
A yellow top will work fine, for a while. They do not charge like a regular car battery and will therefore have a much shorter lifespan. Expect to get only about 2 years out of one if you do not trickle charge it occasionally.

I'm running a 34 series (if I'm remembering right) on mine. It's sitting on a spacer and actually is too low. It could sit another half inch higher ideally. Also know that you will need to bend the positive terminal if you use that battery. It does not sit near enough the edge to simply bolt on.

I've been running it since about March I think and all has been well.

Damn things are expensive though...

-Alex

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
the yellow top is superior for big stereo . yes you have to trickle charge it occassionally. not sure how often tho. but a red top is just eh. I want to be able to run my stereo with the car off for as long as possible. cause letting a car idle all day is horrible for it's internal parts way too much wear. so i'd love to have a yellow top to be able to play for a long while. red tops are decent at that but a yellow top will play longer.

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
hmm. my system is pounding but i love teh reserve capacity of the yellow top. wonder what the reserve cap is on a red top

I only have about 2,000 watt total system so not too crazy...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I am not running a high powered system. I have a 5 channel PPI amp that is 850 watts total RMS. I don't bump it that much. I am also only running 1 10" sub and my components front and rear off the amp.

My car isn't a show car. Its a daily driver so I need something that is better then stock just to hold out something basic. I've never had problems with the red top which is why I opt to go with the same thing. I also have grounds installed along with a Suns Voltage stablizer just to equla things out and not get spikes.

So model #34 works but is just a little short correct? Also need to bend the battery terminal a little??

I can deal with that..
Some please confirm before I make my purchase.
Kenny

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Optima Batteries WEB SITE SAYS

DUAL PURPOSE (STARTING & DEEP CYCLE) BATTERIES
MODEL NUMBER YT S 5.5 YT S 4.2 YT U 4.2 YT R 3.7 YT S 2.7 & 2.7 J
YT R 2.7 & 2.7 J
PERFORMANCE
Voltage (V) 12 12 12 12 12
Cold Cranking Amps @ -18°C (A) 975 765 765 660 510
Cranking Amps @ 0°C (A) 1125 870 870 810 625
Reserve Capacity (Minutes) 155 120 120 98 70
Capacity (C/20 Rate) (Ah) 75 55 55 48 41
Internal Resistance (ohms) 0,0025 .0028 .0028 .0030 .0046
PHYSICAL SPECS
Length (mm) 325 254 254 237 237
Width (mm) 165 175 175 172 129
Height (mm) 238 200 200 197 227
Mimimum Weight (kg) 26,5 19,5 19,9 16,6 11,6
Type Post/Terminal 3/8" Stainless SAE SAE & GM SAE SAE & Thin Japanese terminal
BCI Group 31A 34 34/78 35 51 & 51R

Product Spec Sheets

Charging Info

The following charging methods are recommended to insure a long battery life (Always use a voltage regulated charger, with voltage limits set as described below):

All OPTIMA® YellowTop Batteries
These batteries are dual purpose. They are designed for engine start and cyclic applications and for use in vehicles with large accessory loads.

Recommended charging information:

Alternator:
13.65 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.

Battery charger:
13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum, 6-12 hours approximate.

Cyclic Applications:
14.7 volts, no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 50°C (125°F). When current falls below 1 amp, finish with 3 amp constant current for 1 hour for YT S 5,5.and 2 amp constant current for 1 hour for all other types.

Rapid Recharge:
Maximum voltage 15.6 volts (regulated).
Maximum current: No limit as long as temperature <50°C (125°F).
Maximum recharge time: Charge until current drops below 1 amp.

Float charge:
13.2 to 13.8 volts, 1 amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).

All limits must be strictly adhered to.

Safety Information:

Always wear safety glasses when working with batteries.

Always use a voltage regulated battery charger with limits set to the above ratings. Overcharging can cause the safety valves to open and battery gasses to escape, resulting in premature failure. These gasses are flammable! You cannot replace water in sealed batteries that have been overcharged. Any battery that becomes very hot or makes a hissing sound while recharging should be disconnected immediately.

Failure to fully charge a battery can result in poor performance and a reduction in capacity

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.