Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your honest opinions on hand laid FG kits. most of the kits coming outta Japan are hand laid, correct?

I understand that it's all about the quality and the finish. if the connection points are strong and OEM, the fasteners are good, the finish isn't wavy, etc... what's your honest opinion?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Here's my opinion of japanese built kits.

all the body lines are straight. Only thing I dislike is the fact my matching grill doesn't fit well. Like DaJap, my left sideskirt was a little shorter than right side. So it cracked when I put it on. No biggie. But all the mounts lined up with the OEM screw mounts and all. You get what you pay for otherwise.

·
Registered
212 Posts
however i can see dajap's kit fit a thousand times better then any american made "chopper gun" kit and was a lot more consistant with the thickness of fiberglass and the lines matched up quite nicely

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Any company with a good track record and has laid many kits for that specific vehicle should be alright. Ask to see some of their work. Check body lines and fitment. If you can test the durability and quality of the kit before your purchase, that should give you a better idea.

Keep in mind that although a majority of the JDM parts are typically of higher quality, certain kits may require extensive re-working for perfect fitment. Some kits were designed for the 1st gen bB, and I believe we have the 2nd gen.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Boombox, that only an issue for lip kits in term of reworking for fitment. (since USDM and JDM bumper are diff lengths). Full bumpers, you just rip the front and rear crash bars off.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yeah, fiberglass...if only there wasn't all this SNOW!

Everything said so far is good advice.

I'm just a little disappointed that Boom and Scott didn't give the Midwest view though. Fiberglass just doesn't play out here in the cold and snow. You'll be good maybe through one winter, but it won't look like it did when you first put it on. After the second winter you better plan on buying another kit.

I've seen a lot of expensive kits out here flapping in the breeze. Hell, I even broke my URETHANE lip on the back by touching some snow. I can glue it, but it's still frustrating to have all this damn weather...

Oh well!

-Alex

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hear ya - the pics speak for themselves. that's one beautiful kit.

Here's my opinion of japanese built kits.

all the body lines are straight. Only thing I dislike is the fact my matching grill doesn't fit well. Like DaJap, my left sideskirt was a little shorter than right side. So it cracked when I put it on. No biggie. But all the mounts lined up with the OEM screw mounts and all. You get what you pay for otherwise.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Thanks for the headsup Alex. It completely slipped my mind. After a bit of googling, the humidity in the air alone can cause warping issues on a thinly laid kit during the summer months.

I can see the opposite happening in the winter, with the kit freezing and becoming brittle. It's probably why most car companies choose ABS plastic because of it's ability to endure all climates.

Sucks to hear you have to do a bit of re-working to the kit! That sucks!

So does this weather! We don't have any snow, right NOW, but it sure is DAMN cold.

GL peterbilt, may the kit you choose guide your path wisely!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks, BoomBox.

see, that's why I like this site so much - good straight up info.. stuff you might not have thought of on your own.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Ive heard a lot of bad stuff, but mine has held like a champ. The worst part is driving 1" from the ground right after winter with tons of rock trucks, and having it look like its sandblasted. Mine current kit was a TC sportline kit that hit a parking block, and I repaired it and smoothed it for that extra custom touch. No cracking or breaking yet. (knock on wood). Ive scraped this current kit more than you can imagine, and no splits yet. Its hit snow and ice, no problems yet. The TC Sportline is built rock hard, so I cant testify to other kits. Mines been good though. If it ever does break, Ive gotten good at fiberglass and can continue to fix it and respray I guess. (that and Im saving for a rare JDM kit LOL)

scotty

·
Registered
212 Posts
lol, I know the feeling, i ordered my kit about 2 months ago from japan, but the company is infamous for taking their time on making stuff they don't have...but it'll be worth it, no one here has the kit, and if their kits are anything like anything else they sell, then the quality side should hold up as well :D

·
Registered
453 Posts
lol, I know the feeling, i ordered my kit about 2 months ago from japan, but the company is infamous for taking their time on making stuff they don't have...but it'll be worth it, no one here has the kit, and if their kits are anything like anything else they sell, then the quality side should hold up as well :D

When is that thing coming in???? I can't wait to get your ________ kit put on man!!!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Im anxious to see this kit too. Its gonna be BADARSE! AFAIK, youll still be the only one with it. :) I thought about it, but will be going a tad different.

scotty

·
Registered
212 Posts
no gialla kit ;)

and i don't know chris, i'll give a call on it today when i get off work....trust me, i'm a thousand times more anxious for it at this point then you are :p :mad:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.