Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys and gals, I need some help. A few weeks ago I was painting my door handles and engine cover. I wasn't paying attention to where the excess paint(you know the paint that floats off into space) went. So instead of it floating off into space if floated in my box...the inside isn't a big deal, its on the dash a little, but not noticeable. But the ptoblem is on the hatch, rear bumper, the passenger quarter panel, and the little window on the passenger side. The only place you can see it is the window, it looks like its dusty. Oh and a little bit on the quarter panel too, but only if you look from the right angle in the sunlight. Its sliver paint on a TCM, so not an eyesore. I didn't notice it until i was drying it after a wash, it felt rough, then i saw it on the window.

Now that you know how it happened, heres the question: How can i remove spray paint from the window, and the body without damaging the paintjob. I think i might try superclean.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
For the paint just get yourself some detailers clay and some spray. You won't believe how well it works. You can use a razor blade on the windows if you use a light touch. I always park my Box around the corner when I'm painting, the neighbors are on their own! :eek:

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Ill second the clay bar and spray detailer. Pick up some at pepboys or Autozone. Usually have a kit. The trick is to just keep the area you are working well lubed with the spray detailer so your clay bar doesnt stick to the paint. I wish a little over spray was my problem. I removed the badging from the box this last weekend and you can still see where it was. Not always but in the right light. So now I get to get out the bottle of compound and polish the entire deck lid. :rolleyes:

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Clay bar. You would be suprised how dirty your paint is, even before the over-spray.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hummmm...

Now we know why Padankys' ride is sooo shiny! .......thought it was all the layers of fresh paint!

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
BoXBoy said:
Now we know why Padankys' ride is sooo shiny! .......thought it was all the layers of fresh paint!
It needs to be Clay bar'd again, Badly.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
^^^ goto your local auto parts store, It's a bar of clay used with a spray wax. Rubb the clay with a light coat of spray wax across the surface of the paint, the clay bar picks up contaminants off the paint, over-spray, etc. Wax keeps the clay from scratching the paint. There are a few makers selling the kit (Clay bar & Wax)

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
The Kit I used had a white clay bar, I did half the hood and turned the bar gold almost brown. Working at a body shop there is a lot of crap floating in the air, bondo dust, metal shavings, dirt, primers, etc. All you do is stretch and and fold the clay untill it looks clean again, then keep moving.

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
Clay Bar - The OC/LA drivers best friend..... It will take all the crap off your paint and make it SHINE...... I clay mine everytime I wax after I'm done its smooth as glass.....It works wonders on glass Too.....

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
EticketXb said:
Clay Bar - The OC/LA drivers best friend..... It will take all the crap off your paint and make it SHINE...... I clay mine everytime I wax after I'm done its smooth as glass.....It works wonders on glass Too.....
I was wondering if it would work on glass. I'll have to give that a try.

·
Sciko
157 Posts
clay bar works. but if you dont want to spend the time on that just to get the paint of, Meguiar`s Paint Cleaner works really good. I use nothing but Meguiar`s on my car. I just love how Great and Clean it leaves my xB

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I was wondering if it would work on glass. I'll have to give that a try.
^what he said.
For the life of me, I can't get this tree sap off my moonroof. I was getting ready to try a razor, but I'll give the bar a shot first. (I usually clay my hood and bumper every 3rd wash or so. I use the Mothers brand.)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Clay bar the glass? Should work...I've been know to use rubbing compound on the glass to remove stubborn water deposits.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Padanky said:
Clay bar. You would be suprised how dirty your paint is, even before the over-spray.
So a clay bar will remove rattle can paint? I guess i'll have to get one on the way home...Hmmmm whats more important, the Box or the GT...my wife wants me to wash it...i can do both....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Do what I do, Tell her you want to "test', it on your car first, to make sure it works ok, then do her car last, lol

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Big_Kokujin said:
So a clay bar will remove rattle can paint? I guess i'll have to get one on the way home...Hmmmm whats more important, the Box or the GT...my wife wants me to wash it...i can do both....
Should get most of it, might need to spend a little extra time on the thick spots.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.