Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am about to pick up a 2012 xb and found out about this oil consumption problem. I do not know if this car has this issue or not, but if it does and not covered under warranty anymore, how bad is it to not fix this problem and just keep topping off? some posts I read, people recommend to not rev about 4,000 rpm, I probably won't do this often but just knowing that I would have to baby the car would kind of make me think twice about this purchase. if it still performs just as well but needs a little bit of top off here and there, I'm fine with it; but if the revving not recommended thing is true, I'm not so sure.
thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Scion xB Automatic
177 Posts
AFAIK, this problem was limited to the 2008 line only...? But I'm a Gen1 guy, so don't know for 100% sure. But in my head, anything 2010 or newer wouldn't have that issue...?

I'd say search on here a little bit, there are several threads about the issue.

I've never heard of the revving issue, that doesn't make sense to me. Toyota is quite familiar with designing higher revving Japanese engines, as long as you don't get too close to the redline it should be fine...? My 2 cents, I'm no engineer. Just a huge Toyota and Scion fan. :)

·
Super Moderator
2006 Scion xB Automatic
177 Posts
Oh, wow. Ok, well I stand corrected. That's a bit scary... Hmmmm. Maybe ask them for the VIN and check it via VehicleHistory (free but not as detailed) or CarFax to see if the issue has already been addressed/resolved?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts