Scion xB Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Recently acquired 2008 xB 155K on the odo, oil level showed LOW when purchased and smelled burnt. Threw in 2 qts and a splash of marvel mystery to get it to halfway mark. Ran alot smoother and less buzzy. Ran it for a around 50 miles. Just changed oil this sunday with Mobile 1 syn and new oil filter (jeez the old oil filter looked like the ORIGINAL?!?) Outgoing oil looked pitch black. Question to you seafoam guys, what amt did you add to motor oil? Gonna change my oil in the next 500 mile mark and see what it looks like.

Recently acquired 2008 xB 155K on the odo, oil level showed LOW when purchased and smelled burnt. Threw in 2 qts and a splash of marvel mystery to get it to halfway mark. Ran alot smoother and less buzzy. Ran it for a around 50 miles. Just changed oil this sunday with Mobile 1 syn and new oil filter (jeez the old oil filter looked like the ORIGINAL?!?) Outgoing oil looked pitch black. Question to you seafoam guys, what amt did you add to motor oil? Gonna change my oil in the next 500 mile mark and see what it looks like.
Is it really burning oil? I think it's common for them to leak.My 2008 loses about 3/4 quart a month (as demonstrated by the oil on my garage floor). Asked our mechanic about replacing the gasket and he said it wasn't worth the cost.

Hello, I have a couple of 1st Gen XBs that I absolutely love, my Scion guy(he has about 20 of them lol) tells me to stay away from 2nd Gens because they boat anchor the motor often due to oil consumption problems, he says he has changed about a dozen motors in 2nd gens over past few years(he buys and sells XBs) But I have found a 2010 XB Release Series 7.0 that I have fallen in love with, and it seems to be a fair price, it is really clean and has 112k miles, current owner says he has had the oil changed every 5000-7000 miles at Toyota and has never known oil usage to be an issue. I have searched around here and found a little info spread out over the years but not enough to inform me one way or the other, I mean not every 2nd Gen drinks oil surely, Im going to test drive it later today and know Ill probably want to buy it(because I need more cars lol).

Please share any experiences or info if you can and Thanks

One of my 1st gens because I love showing it off
View attachment 79536
My understanding is that early 2nd Generation (“Toyota Motors) in xBs‘ had “weak or yucky” piston rings. [sheesh]. That said: Be religious with your Oil and changes, keep xB- in Tune, and do not Beat the motor and it should last Long ~ along with Toyota Tradition.!!🚘

Is it really burning oil? I think it's common for them to leak.My 2008 loses about 3/4 quart a month (as demonstrated by the oil on my garage floor). Asked our mechanic about replacing the gasket and he said it wasn't worth the cost.
That's a different issue than than the oil consumption. You have an actual leak that needs fixing.

I wanted to write to thank everyone here on this forum that posted about oil consumption issues with any Scion or Toyota that has a 2AZ engine. My 2014 xB just had an oil change and within 2 days the check engine light turned on. We took it back to get the oil level checked and it was 1 quart low. The engine was re-filled with the correct amount of oil. The next day the oil light came on and then the engine lost power and we rolled to a stop. Engine would not re-start. Got the xB towed to the Toyota dealer and they diagnosed it saying "[Other]: found vehicle not starting but turning over, removed valve cover found no oil on top cam, checked timing found engine jumped timing due to running out of oil needs new engine." I sent the dealer a copy of the Toyota Warranty Enhancement Program ZE7 and they responded "...the warranty extension does not apply to your vehicle nor the concern..." I called Toyota national Toyota Customer Experience Center phone number listed on the last page of the Toyota Warranty Enhancement Program ZE7 document and after some discussion and review of the document they called the Toyota dealer to inform them my engine replacement should be covered under Warranty.

Without the posts here I would have been out of pocket over $7000 for the new engine and car rental costs while my car got fixed. Thank you!

Also here is a link to the official Toyota Warranty Enhancement Program ZE7 document from the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website.

I bought a 2009 back in Otober and almost immediately found out why the guy was selling it. I burned a quart every 300 miles. Here’s what I did about it: Update to oil-guzzling Scion xB
Also picked up a used 2008 xB, 150K on the clock, and it basically had no oil level when i got it home. I've changed the oil out twice in the last 1K using 0w-20 full synth and also half bottle Marvel Myst. Haven't seen drastic oil levels drop but will trying your process soon. Sidenote, any possible way to check if the piston ring fix was performed? Take the VIN to stealership and see what they have on record or would that be wasting my time?

Toyota had to issue an extended warranty to avoid a class action lawsuit due to whole production of the 2AZ-FE engines having issues with oil consumption, not just in the xB. The warranty currently is limited to 10 years or 150, 000 miles from original purchase date. The fix for it is to replace the pistons and rings with redesigned units but since you are out of warranty and it's expensive to fix your best bet is to just keep an eye on the oil level and keep refilling. I was losing a quart every 1500 miles before I was able to get them to do the repairs on mine. Been great since.
GregS
Do u have more info on the extend warranty? N how u went about getting urs covered?
I called my local Toyota dealership and they said it was no longer covered under the recall bc I had to have it serviced between 2016-2018. Seems strange to have a stop date when some haven't hit their mileage mark for these issues to show up.
I'm the one and only owner of my 2008 Scion xb n I have not been sent any recall notices nor have I moved since my last recall notice I received. I'm under the 150k miles and have regular oil changes at 3k miles and nothing during all of those oil changes did I ever get informed of a recall when the vin was pulled
(not at a dealership) at a oil change type place.
If u do have ur Scion xb still there is a recall on the break kit btw for anyone seeing this, since Toyota seems not to inform owners in ample time for recalls.
Any help is much appreciated!

GregS
Do u have more info on the extend warranty? N how u went about getting urs covered?
I called my local Toyota dealership and they said it was no longer covered under the recall bc I had to have it serviced between 2016-2018. Seems strange to have a stop date when some haven't hit their mileage mark for these issues to show up.
I'm the one and only owner of my 2008 Scion xb n I have not been sent any recall notices nor have I moved since my last recall notice I received. I'm under the 150k miles and have regular oil changes at 3k miles and nothing during all of those oil changes did I ever get informed of a recall when the vin was pulled
(not at a dealership) at a oil change type place.
If u do have ur Scion xb still there is a recall on the break kit btw for anyone seeing this, since Toyota seems not to inform owners in ample time for recalls.
Any help is much appreciated!
It wasn’t a recall, it was a voluntary service campaign. Had to be done 10 years from date of first service or 150k miles.

It wasn’t a recall, it was a voluntary service campaign. Had to be done 10 years from date of first service or 150k miles.
Do you know if they will still honor this "campaign" ? I'm sitting at 147k miles and guessing my first service was at 3k miles I'll have to look for that exact receipt of service.
I have owned it for nearly 15 years though so am I SOL?

Do you know if they will still honor this "campaign" ? I'm sitting at 147k miles and guessing my first service was at 3k miles I'll have to look for that exact receipt of service.
I have owned it for nearly 15 years though so am I SOL?
Sorry, after 10 years no bueno unless maybe you could talk their service manager into honoring it anyway. How good are you at begging?

I know this is an old post, but the information needs to be spread. The 2008-2011 and some 2012's had the oil consumption issues. The piston rings were too small and oil leaked through. Toyota did a massive recall to fix the issue, but now as of 2024, Toyota is done with it because Scion is defunct ( obviously) you can contact Toyota in Japan but I doubt even they would do anything, you could ask. Secondly, depending on how you drive (and some people are nuts) depends on how much oil leaks through. Typically a quart every 1500 miles. I have a 2012 9.0 RS which was built in September 2012 and is almost considered a 2013. No oil consumption issues for me Thank God. Late model 2012 - 2015 Scion xB are just fine, no oil consumption issues... There's the skinny on the 2nd Gen and the oil consumption talk. More stylish, imo way more power, more features and safety. 2nd Gen for me. To each his own. (Although a first Gen stick is way fun too) lol Enjoy.

My 2009 had 145,000 miles when I bought it and was burning over a quart every 300 miles. Now it will go a full oil change interval without having to add any. I pulled the spark plugs and soaked the pistons with Berryman’s B12 fuel system cleaner and it cleaned the varnish off the oil control rings.

None of these engines were severe oil burners when they left the factory. The problems only started after time when the rings and piston drain holes started clogging up. A strong solvent soak can reverse that if you catch it before it scuffs the cylinder walls.

My 2009 had 145,000 miles when I bought it and was burning over a quart every 300 miles. Now it will go a full oil change interval without having to add any. I pulled the spark plugs and soaked the pistons with Berryman’s B12 fuel system cleaner and it cleaned the varnish off the oil control rings.

None of these engines were severe oil burners when they left the factory. The problems only started after time when the rings and piston drain holes started clogging up. A strong solvent soak can reverse that if you catch it before it scuffs the cylinder walls.
I've heard of Berryman's B12 it's great stuff! Thanks for the information- anybody with concern can look up what we posted.

I was so in love with the XB that I ended up buying it, I did pull the stick before I paid him and it was barely in the oil and he changed the oil about 1600 miles ago according to the Toyota Service sticker on the windshield, I ended up putting about a quart and a half in it, so I fear she does drink some oil, I'll just check the oil every other gas fill-up until it falls to lower mark on stick and see how much I have lost
View attachment 79541
I have a 2011xB Release Series with 113K miles. It started burning oil after 100K miles. It was burning about 3 quarts between oil changes. I talked to a Toyota tech and he told me this usually starts to happen after 100K miles. He recommended I switch to 5w 30 oil which I did. Still burning 2 quarts between oil changes. Another problem is the oil low dummy light never comes on. I guess I’ll have that checked.

I have a 2011xB Release Series with 113K miles. It started burning oil after 100K miles. It was burning about 3 quarts between oil changes. I talked to a Toyota tech and he told me this usually starts to happen after 100K miles. He recommended I switch to 5w 30 oil which I did. Still burning 2 quarts between oil changes. Another problem is the oil low dummy light never comes on. I guess I’ll have that checked.
Do the Berryman treatment before it gets worse

Another problem is the oil low dummy light never comes on. I guess I’ll have that checked.
The light doesn’t tell you if your oil VOLUME is low. It only comes on when your oil PRESSURE is low. Low oil pressure is almost always caused by one of three things: a broken oil pump, a burst filter, or the oil volume is so low it’s below the level of the pickup tube in the crankcase. All three of these things are extremely bad.

By the time the light comes on your engine has probably already suffered damage.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you want to use thicker oil so the number in front of the W goes up. Thinking 10W 30 if this is a Gen 1. My understanding is you get leaks at the valves and lighter oil slips by easier.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you want to use thicker oil so the number in front of the W goes up. Thinking 10W 30 if this is a Gen 1. My understanding is you get leaks at the valves and lighter oil slips by easier.
That maybe the case, but still you want to fix it. That Berryman B12 treatment is worth doing imo.

The oil light doesn't come on until you are down to about 1/2 qt. It has to get low enough that the pressure drops below the threshold that sensor needs to see. I figured this out when my mechanic and I made sure the car would fail the oil consumption test so they would replace my pistons and rings.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts