Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a couple of 1st Gen XBs that I absolutely love, my Scion guy(he has about 20 of them lol) tells me to stay away from 2nd Gens because they boat anchor the motor often due to oil consumption problems, he says he has changed about a dozen motors in 2nd gens over past few years(he buys and sells XBs) But I have found a 2010 XB Release Series 7.0 that I have fallen in love with, and it seems to be a fair price, it is really clean and has 112k miles, current owner says he has had the oil changed every 5000-7000 miles at Toyota and has never known oil usage to be an issue. I have searched around here and found a little info spread out over the years but not enough to inform me one way or the other, I mean not every 2nd Gen drinks oil surely, Im going to test drive it later today and know Ill probably want to buy it(because I need more cars lol).

Please share any experiences or info if you can and Thanks

One of my 1st gens because I love showing it off

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2008 scion xb w/ toyota rumion rear conversion. I changed my oil every 3,500 miles and mine does burn almost 1 quartz every oil change. Does it bother me? Not really. Am i concern about it? A lil bit but hey as long as it does not burn 1 quartz every 1k im good with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 08 as well it burns about a quart an oil change just keep check on it you will be fine if you dont get it let me know

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an '09 xb with 40k & it doesn't burn a drop of oil!
my only complaint is that had a larger gas tank 2-3 gallons

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was so in love with the XB that I ended up buying it, I did pull the stick before I paid him and it was barely in the oil and he changed the oil about 1600 miles ago according to the Toyota Service sticker on the windshield, I ended up putting about a quart and a half in it, so I fear she does drink some oil, I'll just check the oil every other gas fill-up until it falls to lower mark on stick and see how much I have lost

2 Posts
Hello, I have a couple of 1st Gen XBs that I absolutely love, my Scion guy(he has about 20 of them lol) tells me to stay away from 2nd Gens because they boat anchor the motor often due to oil consumption problems, he says he has changed about a dozen motors in 2nd gens over past few years(he buys and sells XBs) But I have found a 2010 XB Release Series 7.0 that I have fallen in love with, and it seems to be a fair price, it is really clean and has 112k miles, current owner says he has had the oil changed every 5000-7000 miles at Toyota and has never known oil usage to be an issue. I have searched around here and found a little info spread out over the years but not enough to inform me one way or the other, I mean not every 2nd Gen drinks oil surely, Im going to test drive it later today and know Ill probably want to buy it(because I need more cars lol).

View attachment 79536
There was actually a recall on a bunch of Gen 2 xBs for oil consumption. It seems the factory installed the wrong size oil rings. Not all were affected, you can check your VIN, yours may not have been. Or the recall may have already been done. A friend of mine had one, and as long as you keep up with the oil it wasn’t an issue.

2 Posts
BTW, BEAUTIFUL RS! The recall has long since passed, but at this point it is purely a maintenance issue. Check the oil everytime you get fuel for a little while and you will figure out your oil consumption pattern. You may need to check/add every other fill up, maybe every third. My friend’s was never that bad really...

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,589 Posts
Toyota had to issue an extended warranty to avoid a class action lawsuit due to whole production of the 2AZ-FE engines having issues with oil consumption, not just in the xB. The warranty currently is limited to 10 years or 150, 000 miles from original purchase date. The fix for it is to replace the pistons and rings with redesigned units but since you are out of warranty and it's expensive to fix your best bet is to just keep an eye on the oil level and keep refilling. I was losing a quart every 1500 miles before I was able to get them to do the repairs on mine. Been great since.

·
Registered
5 Posts

View attachment 79536
Well.....
Let me tell ya somethin'

I may not be the top rated expert but can tell you for 100% certainty that the 2nd Gen Xb's DID in fact have an oil consumption issue. If I recall it was the "ZE7" recall. My Fleet had around a couple of dozen Gen II's and TMC replaced lower ends in 4 or 5 of them. I had one grenade before recall was announced and that was also covered. But at this point if a 2010 had an issue it would have shown up by now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Totally unrelated note but I would like to throttle whomever decided the fuse block location on this car lol, I filled up for second time today and got 27mpg, not as good as my 1st Gen but okay I guess, its just the range is so low, my TDI goes 800 miles on a tank and has me spoiled :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 xB base. I only put 600 miles on it since purchase at 71k miles. I been checking oil and no noticeable loss of oil yet. Toyota website gave a green thumbs up when I searched vin number. I hope I don’t have an oil drinker. Love car so far.

·
TRDxB2
51 Posts
I bought a 2009 new, still have it, 66k miles. Yes there was a recall with respect to oil consumption. I never had a problem or added a drop of oil between oil changes every 5k miles. Yes I like to accelerate too

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,589 Posts
I have a 2009 xB base. I only put 600 miles on it since purchase at 71k miles. I been checking oil and no noticeable loss of oil yet. Toyota website gave a green thumbs up when I searched vin number. I hope I don’t have an oil drinker. Love car so far.
I bought a 2009 new, still have it, 66k miles. Yes there was a recall with respect to oil consumption. I never had a problem or added a drop of oil between oil changes every 5k miles. Yes I like to accelerate too
For both of you I'd be interested to see what your oil levels are like in the next 20-30k miles. The oil consumption issue doesn't start to appear until around the 80k mile mark.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts