Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is something I normally wouldn't be asking on a forum, because I have changed oil in a lot of vehicle. But, I'm asking. I went to change the oil today for the first time (dealer did the first two). And went with Mobile One, with the Toyota filter. I didn't have a filter wrench small enough, so I went out and bought one that would fit. Jacked the box up and WTF, I had a hard time manuvering that band style filter wrench to get the filter off. It finally came off, an 1/8" at a time, but there has got to be a faster way. I looked at the socket style wrenches, but the smallest one Orieleys had was sloppy. What do you all use? I got everything done in about 20 minutes, but the freakin filter took me 15 of it. I just want it to be a little faster next time taking the filter off. And my worry now is that the filter is tight enough. Its hand tight plus about a quarter of a turn. I'm half tempted to just install an oil cooler, so it will lower the filter down another 3/4" or so with the sandwich adapter and all.

·
Project Cop Box
540 Posts
i use a socket-style filter wrench i got at walmart and it works just fine.

·
Scion 100,000 mile club
3,481 Posts
i haven't changed the oil on my xb myself but my mom has a corolla and i use the socket-style as well, and use the the other type on my hondas

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at the socket ones at the auto parts store and they are way to sloppy on this small filter. I called Toyota, they sell them for 6.95, that fits the Toyota filter. I will be getting one for the next change, but for now I gotta go back under and tighten it some more. A fellow co worker said hand tight plus 3/4 of a turn. I went 1/4 of a turn tight. Shittiest part of having a lowered box, have to drive up on a 2X4 to get a low profile jack under it to change the freaking oil, oh well. Thanks for the information!

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I barrowed my neigbors, his look like a big pair of Channel-Locks.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
You need my jack too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
or you can use the screw drive through the middle, make a big mess, method.

Not recommended.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I use a 6"5"x275 lb, 17 year old. his hand fits around the filter, and I mean around the filter. he only crushed 1.

also use him as a jack, he lifted the 50 plymouth right rear up to get a cat off the tire.

·
Registered
368 Posts
What are you feeding him?
:D anything he wants !

he works Security for the BTW, he's bigger than most of the wrestlers and still growing :eek: Doc says he still has 5 to 6 inches of growth plate on his bones ! The Plymouth project is his when he graduates HS the end of the month, was the only car he liked and could fit into.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I use my hands. When I install the new filter I only tighten it to just beyond snug. No leaks and I can get if off without using any tools. I've done this with all my rides.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My hubby does mine and for over 20 years as a auto tech he hand tightens oil filters. He has some darn strong fore arms though. No need to over tighten it, just make sure there are no leaks. same thing with oil drain plugs. Overtighty mean strippy.

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
You guys are all weak..... I use my Arm-strong wrench and the lift at my buddies shop....... Its nice to still have friends in the industry....

·
Registered
570 Posts
The dealer s mechanics always put em on with an impact (so it seems) Once it is off I too use the TAZ method just a little beyond snug. The next time you do an oil change it will be much easier. The FRAM high perf. filters have grip around the bottom of the filter so using the hand method work good.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
I'm lazy. I spend the money at a shop to change my oil. Gives me time to um....Post on clubxb. :D

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The dealer s mechanics always put em on with an impact (so it seems) Once it is off I too use the TAZ method just a little beyond snug. The next time you do an oil change it will be much easier. The FRAM high perf. filters have grip around the bottom of the filter so using the hand method work good.
NOOOOO no Fram. Did you miss the old threads on how crappy they are?

Just don't over tighten. The instructions say once touching only spin 1/4 turn. This is still a little loose for me, but I can take it off with no problem.

·
Registered
140 Posts
To help the filter come off easy next time, use a thick silicone (kinda looks like rubber cement, but dont use that!) instead of the oil on the gasket

·
Registered
84 Posts
Chaning my own oil while my xB is still under warranty won't mess with my warranty at all will it? My dad has a jetta and they are really strict about not getting your oil changed through vw...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.