Scion xB Forum banner
1741 - 1760 of 1763 Posts

·
@HFDane on Instagram
6,304 Posts
Wow that sucks about Rusty. Maybe Mike Burroughs will rebuild him, hell he's done it twice already.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,892 Posts

·
Team Scion Eyed
25 Posts
:( I was oogling at some mk1 vws with rusted hoods and i got the idea to do my xb hood like that. I asked some friend if theyd ever seen it on anything other than rods sleds or euros and they all said no. I posed the idea hoping they liked it but wouldnt imitate it and here i found out its been hatched, played out, died, ressurected and alive in the scion community for the past couple of years. Curiosity will forever kill me.

PS. Im still gonna do it. :p

·
Banned
15 Posts
It depends on what look you are going for. Rusted hoods look good on older cars lime Cressida and vw's ect... Scions that have the "greaser" "rat rod" style it looks good, if you go for the stances look don't do it, you will be out of place!

·
chop top
8,825 Posts
naw..you can pull it off..but youll need to do the right things..and rust may not be the way..hot rod flats, vintage car part, so on...youll get looks...i had a 1950s hood ornament on my xb..people loved it....

·
Registered
16,741 Posts
:( I was oogling at some mk1 vws with rusted hoods and i got the idea to do my xb hood like that. I asked some friend if theyd ever seen it on anything other than rods sleds or euros and they all said no. I posed the idea hoping they liked it but wouldnt imitate it and here i found out its been hatched, played out, died, ressurected and alive in the scion community for the past couple of years. Curiosity will forever kill me.

PS. Im still gonna do it. :p
Awesome! you do what you want. who cares if it has been "played out?"

what the heck does that really mean, anyway? If you love it, do it. haters gonna hate anyway.

and you will have what you love.:)

·
Registered
213 Posts
i may actually be doing a boser hood and having no more rust

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hood Ride?? Hey Adam show em your piss hood..hehe.

So to get the rust to look like this we rub it down with motor oil instead of the hydrogen peroxide/vinegar mix? Do we leave the oil on there or clean it off and let it rust? How long does it take to rust? Once it gets to the desired rusetedness, yeah thats a word, can we clear coat over it to keep it like that? Im a little late to the rusted scene but really want to do my hood and trying to get it just right.

·
SUSPNJNKY
5,599 Posts
you should never mix oxidizers with reducers . . .plus rust is a form of oxidation so either use H2O2 or NaOCl. rubbing the oxidized surface with oil will keep it from not rusting further.

The basics of painting state that you need to have a clean, debris-free surface in which rust is debris and paint will not stick well or for very long where the oil comes in to play since it doesn't wash off easily with just water.

·
SUSPNJNKY
5,599 Posts
yea, thats what it looks like but it also looks like he used new oil, if you use used oil it will come out darker.

1741 - 1760 of 1763 Posts