Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed my OBX Header today. Had one problem though. The support bracket that connects at the the bottom of the motor to the header/exhaust wouldnt line up. It wasnt even close enough that we could bend the bracket to line up the holes.

It was late so we decided to just remove the bracket altogother so it wouldnt bang against header/exhaust. The header felt firm with the engine and didnt move much when I gave it some gas. I drove the whole way home trying to listen if I had any rattling when I accelerated or when I hit bumps. Didnt hear anything unusual.

Im going to fab up some sort of bracket with my dad this weekend so we can attach the support bracket to the header but my question is:

should I be worried driving the car around without the bracket?

anyone else with this header have some sort of solution to this porblem?

like I said before, the header felt like it was firmly attached and I didnt hear any rattling at all. just not sure if its safe driving the car around like this.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well after reading up on it a bit more, I learned that neither the DC Sport nor the Strup header even have a mounting hole for the bracket. They just omit that part altogether. Cant be that bad if some dont even include it?.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
When I installed my friends OBX I noticed the same thing, and that you would need to use a torch and some heavy hitting power to change it.

We ended up just leaving it be, since it seemed in our eyes that it was strong enough.

No need to be concerned.

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
mine fit

with some thinking :)

i had the same problem probably due to being designed for Bb originally with left hand drive the exhaust would be close to steering so i figured they moved the pipes a little.

this is what i came up with pretty easy.
1. the bracket mounts to the side of the block with two bolts and on the header with one.
2. when i was under the xb cursing and muttering cuz it wouldn't fit it came to me just remove the top bolt on the block, leave the bottom one loose and it will pivot (swing) sideways to meet up with the header hole.
3 after starting both bolts snug down the one on the block so there's no slop but will move in an arc now tighten the one on the header till it snugs up then finish cinching them both up
this has worked on both my xB's the same header came off the SRP and went on the RS4

·
Registered
140 Posts
good luck with the install. Get back to us regarding hp gains and maybe gas mileage? Im thinking about getting a header for mine.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a 05 xB with over 50K miles what kind of problems am I looking at with removing the stock header?Has anybody had problems with rusted or stuck bolts breaking?

Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.