Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I use an ELM327 bluetooth obdii connected to torque app on my fon that sits horizontal in a holder that just sits on the dash to left of speedo......does all the fault reading and clearing. 5 different dashboards of whatever info you want displayed in txt, analog or digital gauges. Also does realtime drive cycle info for inspection readiness. Less than $10 for the reader and $5 for full feature app.

How much does that thing run?

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Steering part

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My goal is to get a permanent device to closely monitor coolant Temp.

And sound an alarm if an abnormal temp happens.

Even if the car had a temp gauge, a water pump leak could Kill

the engine before one may notice the temp change.

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,689 Posts
Most people are fans of the Scangauge unit but this tech is so simple to do anymore that the one you have pictured should work fine. Like 04_toaster above I run the Torque app and an ELM 327 blurtooth adapter. I like that added advantage of being able to clear codes when testing fixes.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Scion xB Automatic
171 Posts
How much does that thing run?
About $60, which seems reasonable to me. I might order one.

Here in AZ, leaving your phone on the dash is a no-way-Jose scenario. Too insanely hot. Although who knows whether or not that will cause this device to not function...? Might have to find out soon.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
It doesn't stay there.....and where would you mount this where it is convenient to see and out of the sun?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had OBD readers. Used them mostly to monitor MPG in motor home and full sized van. Now my car has that display. They were helpful identifying reason for check engine light, and turning off the light in the case of momentary mis-fire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had OBD readers. Used them mostly to monitor MPG in motor home and full sized van. Now my car has that display. They were helpful identifying reason for check engine light, and turning off the light in the case of momentary mis-fire.
I, too, have employed several OBD port devices - from a 1995 Honda Del Sol (with an adapter) through my 2005 Scion xB - several that were accessible via the DashCommand app on my iPhone. Most all are portable between vehicles.
Now driving a 2017 Subaru Impreza that displays most everything, but still use OBD2 device in order to diagnose and clear any thrown codes (so far, none with the Impreza).
My '05 xB was by far the best vehicle I've ever owned (45+, over 50 years of driving)!
I'd suggest watching for higher reviews at Amazon than the one you chose shows... and there are multiple sub-$100 units that pair with multiple (free) OBD reader programs...

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The goal here is mostly to NOT have to see it, but hear it, he says....
my eyes are better than my ears so visual is where it's at for me. fixing to do all coolant hoses, new tstat and new juice. Also have an insert block for coolant sensor to feed that water temp gauge in my pic above so water temp and oil pressure will be online soon. obdii doesn't pull oil pressure. volts and cabin temp come off a gauge in cig lighter hole.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts