Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just letting everyone know that I am now running 245/40/17's on my xB in the rear and 235/40/17's in the front.

yes, I am stock height, but there is still plenty of clearance for lowering.

no compression rubbing even fully loaded with weight, no rubbing even at full wheel lock.

test fit the 245's in the front and only slight wheel rubbing on the inner fender well at full wheel lock, but still no compression rubbing. so now I have a second pair of 245's in the back of the box that will be going on within the week.

for all those that doubted...you can do it. and now mine will out handle yours... :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats Huge - Now how off i your Speedo? Thats gotta be a good inch taller than stock. What size wheels are you running?
I am exactly 4.1% larger rolling diameter than stock. 1" taller overall and only 0.5" taller radius.

The wheels are 17" x 7.5" and total weight of my wheel/tire package is the exact same weight as the stock 15" wheel/tire package.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Agreed. Youd get better handing probably by lowering and getting some good offset wheels. Remember, theres no use putting a Magnum on a baby carrot. (that is TOTALLY random, and has no other sexual implication)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed. Youd get better handing probably by lowering and getting some good offset wheels. Remember, theres no use putting a Magnum on a baby carrot. (that is TOTALLY random, and has no other sexual implication)
just curious...what is your definition of good offset wheels?

typically lowering does improve a car's handling, but in this case, I can guarantee that with as much surface contact the 245's have, I can out drive any lowered xB with smaller tires. The stock spring rates are already pretty aggressive and lowering the center of gravity by 1.5" will add handling characteristics, but I'm going for the whole sleeper thing.

·
bB Squad
704 Posts
I don't believe that you're able to use the whole surface of the contact patch with those skinny wheels. It just seems like a bunch of extra rubber added to the side wall.

Either way, glad you feel so good about it.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
just curious...what is your definition of good offset wheels?

typically lowering does improve a car's handling, but in this case, I can guarantee that with as much surface contact the 245's have, I can out drive any lowered xB with smaller tires. The stock spring rates are already pretty aggressive and lowering the center of gravity by 1.5" will add handling characteristics, but I'm going for the whole sleeper thing.
Something that the fender doesnt look like it is swallowing. Something like +20 offset on a 7.5 would be pretty damn good. Drop it on some Ksports. Get sway bars. I dont care if you're running 245s, you arent going to handle a car on coilovers with sway bars and 205 tires. Ill put money against it. What would I know though, Im just a noob.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Something that the fender doesnt look like it is swallowing. Something like +20 offset on a 7.5 would be pretty damn good. Drop it on some Ksports. Get sway bars. I dont care if you're running 245s, you arent going to handle a car on coilovers with sway bars and 205 tires. Ill put money against it. What would I know though, Im just a noob.
If you are ever nearby SD, you are welcome to take it for a spin.

I do feel that many (not everyone, but many) people on these boards are more stuck in the traditional ways of doing things (probably the smartest way) instead of trying to do something different...and I'm all about being not so conforming.

I respect your opinion and comments, but I hope you aren't trying to discredit me because of my low post count. yes, I am new to xB's...but I have been nsxprime, bimmerforums, clublexus, and supraforums, all with large post counts. I am use to working with understeer, toe, caster, camber, bump, rebound, and even with double adjustible motons. My best friend races in the US Touring Car series and others that work with Grand Am cars, not to mention my personal techs support all the local club racing teams (track and auto-x). With all the professional race techs I've spoken to, I know a little info about cars as well. ;)

Just so you guys understand, the wheel/tire set-up I decided on is also based on my other mods on the car. I currently have a stage III clutch, so when I let out the clutch, the 205's I had on the car tend to give lots of wheel spin, but this combo allows me to make the car more drivable for me.

this thread wasn't designed to begin a debate on who's car ultimately handles better. I just wanted to prove to everyone that 245/40/17's do indeed fit on the car...that's all.

Oh and I DO have a whiteline rear sway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pic's man that sounds like a sick width!!!
It's raining here today, but I did just install the front 245's. It should help with the slight understeer that the box still has.

as soon as it clears up, I will take some pics for you guys. unless you want to see it dirty, then I can put some of those up.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
I have my trident, and it's look kinda clean today.......I wanna see pics!! :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have my trident, and it's look kinda clean today.......I wanna see pics!! :D
orbitz boombox it keeps it cleaner!!!! man i wanna see some pic's!!!

·
Registered
679 Posts
wow thats a big tire, must look like those inner tubes people float around on in a pool. i used to run 245/40/17 on my 17x10s

1 - 20 of 34 Posts