ok so im planning on going the VIP style and im looking at getting some 20's

my 1st question is about how well they work with the xB
do you need to make any modifications to the wheel wells
and what the bolt patern is or w/e

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
The wheel pattern won't be your problem. Start learning terms like "wheel spacers", "suspension rub", "rolled lips" and "will that be cash or credit?" I thought about the 20's but stayed with 18's. They fit better and I didn't have to use any spacers to avoid suspension rub. The ride suffers enough with just the 18's on, I shudder to think what it would be like with 20's. Good luck though and post pics of whatever you decide on.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
if you're going 20s, you're not going VIP style. thats the sad truth of it. you need to order some custom offset/width wheels and airride if you want to get the right stance. i suggest you search around on VIPstylecars.com before you bite off more than you can chew.

scotty

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
yeah man i could tell a big difference when i went from my 15's to my 18's. i couldn't imagine 20's the ride wouldn't be too good. i'd stick with some 18's witha nice lip. ask the few people that have 20 on their rides on here. i know theres a few but luvmyxb is the only one that comes to mind right now.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Umm...I have a question: what is the difference in the ride from a 15 to 18's?

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
caden_stargate said:
Soft bumps turn to hard bumps!

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
caden_stargate said:

The rubber is much thinner on the 18's. Picture it this way, the stock 15's are like a nice fluffy pillow on your bed, the 18's are more like a bamboo mat under your head. The 18's have less space between the edge of the rim and the outside of the tire. Less space for air which gives the tire some give for bumps and makes the ride softer.

It's a sacrafice for appearance that I'm willing to make. I still have my steelies though, I use them when I go to the mountians and may have to use tire chains.

Hope that helps explain it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok... how about these wheels? do yall think these look good? remeber im going for a vip style and i have a PW

these ones are gunmetal... i could also get black

these are 18 by 7.5

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah...see heres my delima... im 18 im still in HS and i pay for my brand new box all on my own... so theres lil cash for mods... bc im in scikotics... i get a half off dicount on wheels at www.perfectlyround.com

so im kinda limited on choices BUT! heres one that loks promising

those are definently better i think (hope) lol

·
Registered
283 Posts
Oh man! 20's are REALLY huge. I mean, we're talking about a gigantic wheel with rubber bands as tires. But yeah. Those 18" X 7.5" are a better choice.

I personally think that 16" is the largest to go on an xB while trying to keep the speedometer fairly accurate & still having enough rubber (205/50-16 or 225/45-16) to save the wheels from most road imperfections. I guess I favor practicality over looks. I don't like bending wheels every week or trying to dodge potholes or road imperfections all the time. I have 15" X 6.5" wheels & 205/55-15 tires on my box & I think it looks nice.

I don't have to dodge potholes that much either. :p

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
trying to keep the speedometer fairly accurate
thats somthing i never htought of... rim size will mess that up?

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Flecs said:
yeah...see heres my delima... im 18 im still in HS and i pay for my brand new box all on my own... so theres lil cash for mods... bc im in scikotics... i get a half off dicount on wheels at www.perfectlyround.com

so im kinda limited on choices BUT! heres one that loks promising

those are definently better i think (hope) lol
Wow, still in HS and paying for your box?! I'm impressed!

Now those wheels are in the right direction IMO. Remember, it's all about style. Since our boxes are not on a "VIP chassis", it will never be a true VIP vehicle. But don't let that stop you from applying "VIP styling" to your ride.

Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
oh yeah it makes sense... thanks for the applause... its just alot of work... but i fell in love with the box and i knew i would get one as soon as i could...

i love all the cool JDM VIP kinda stuff... but its all so dam expensive... so my car will be coming along slowly! lol

i like those wheels... but the center cap looks a lil strange (could just be the pic) so that may require some custom work on my part when i get these

·
Registered
283 Posts
Flecs said:
thats somthing i never htought of... rim size will mess that up?
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

http://gs.tolan-hoechst.com/tirecalc.htm

^ These will give you an idea.

To keep the stock 23.7" diameter (185/60-15), you'll need some 215/35-18 tires for those 18s. I don't know if you've taken a look at the cost of tires in the 18" size. They're quite pricey. ('o' )!!!

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?sw=false&cs=215&ar=35&rd=18

Compare to the 205/55-15 or 225/50-15 tires.

205/55-15 http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?cs=205&ar=55&rd=15&sw=false

225/50-15 http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTiresBySize.do?cs=225&ar=50&rd=15&sw=false

But yeah. There's a lot of cost involved. Good luck! ( ^_^)/

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the great info! yeah i figured id be spending about 900 on this... lol thast way to much money! but its worth it... rims are one of the first things people tend to notice on a car

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Flecs said:
i like those wheels... but the center cap looks a lil strange (could just be the pic) so that may require some custom work on my part when i get these
We have a guy here who's running those rims in black on a PW box, they look really good.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
BTW, his wheels are 18x8 with a 40 offset, tires are 215/40/18. He's also running the OTG rear spacers to flush out the rims.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts