Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love road trip, but I hate the noise! Does anyone have any ideas on how to quiet her down? I bought the box used, so I can not tell you anything about the exhaust, except it is big and noisy! I think it was a repo because I also have a set of lights underneath it that are not hooked up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not want to go back to stock. My boss and I were discussing yesterday why I got from Cruces to Albuquerque on half a tank. He says that it is because of the exhaust that I have on it.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Well I hate to tell ya, but thats not why you get good gas milage. Guaranteed. At MOST 1 mpg, more, but that can be being light on the gas. Go back to stock, or have a muffler shop hack it up and throw a diffrent muffler on.

scotty

·
Registered
368 Posts
If the noise from the exhaust gets to you, you might try dyno mat or a similar product in the truck area to cut the noise inside the box.

it might help.:)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Also use the search button. A great tool when it comes to getting info on exhaust.

I don't know how many millions of times I have givenout valuable advice on exhaust.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Definitely post up a pic of the exhaust if you can. If not, at least get under the car and take a good look at it. See if you can see any badging or etching that might reveal the manufacturer. Your best bet once you do that is finding a silencer that will fit the tip.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I am really surprised that there were not more posts recommending sound deadening. Everyone really should add sound deadening to their xB. The weight addition is rather minimal, but the effects are incredible. The xB is a very noisy car, especially with bigger wheels, wider tires, and aftermarket performance parts. Sound deadening will dramatically reduce the exhaust drone and outside noise in the xB. Its benefits are evident in the stereo system, as well. By deadening the doors, one can expect to hear an increase in overall volume of the door speakers, especially in the lower frequency range. Low frequency response is increased, as well as an overall "tightness" that aids in creating a better sound quality and more accurate image. Sound deadening will also reduce the rattles that are commonly associated with large subwoofer systems as well as increase interior SPL.
Dynamat is relatively expensive. I recommend using eDead from ElementalDesigns.com. It produces the same result at half the cost, plus you get excellent support from the guys at ED. Try ordering some eDead, deaden the rear hatch and spare tire well, and see for yourself. I almost guarantee you will buy more and do the whole car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.