Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious... Not looking to do soon but was wondering what might be the reccomendations for a non-lowered box to decrease the wheel gap? I ask because I had an xA basically dropped on Hotchkis springs, then went with 17" rims with a a 205/40 tire. Looked ok, but the gap seemed even bigger. The ride sucked I wanted a bigger tire but the next size up would have rubbed.

The guy at the tire shop said had I not dropped the car, I might have gotten away with it.

My question is this thinking of trying this again either with a 16 or 17 (without dropping) is there a combination that will decrease the wheel gap without dropping? Ohio winters suck and I am not all that interested in scraping like I did in the xA. Pictures would be great...

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
not sure about wheel/tire combos, but I would suggest the TRD springs. At only an inch drop the car still rides like normal and you don't have to worry about scraping, but it takes a good chunk out of the wheel gap

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you have the money go for air bags, if not stick to a minimal drop, like ^^^ said. I am riding on the trd setup, I cannot go any lower or I scrap on the horrible washington dc streets. I know about the wheel gap and it drives me nuts. I figure eventually I will be going to air, but until then try going +1 on a 16" rim. I did it and it's very subtle but the gap went from 4 fingers to 2.5 with the stock steelies. My current rim and tires are about 5% smaller then stock. 205/45/R16, the gap is about 3 fingers right now, but I could always go up to a 205/50/R16 and the gap would go to 2 fingers.

Remember this with a rim, tire, and drop combo; it is important to make note that the larger the rim and smaller the tire the larger the gap will seem. That is one of the reasons why air/coilovers are so sought after. They allow the driver to neatly tuck the tire under the fender eliminating wheel gap. Perfect example are the hondas around town, I've seen a 14" rim, tire, and drop combo look a hundred times better then a 17" rim with lopro tires and a huge wheel gap.

Suggestion is to look for pics of specific combos which are to your tastes. If you have no choice like myself, an air suspension might be up your alley. . . well that minus the price :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks... air a little more pricy then I would go, TRD with 16" might not be bad call, larger tire = more sidewall = smoother ride;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts