Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a performance shop in my area, and the owner of the shop told me the best thing I can do to add power is put nitrous on the box. He recomened the Zex system because of all the safe guards it has. He said the wet system with a 50 shot would be safe to run on the 1.5. I was just wondering if this is true? I would love to squeeze, but not if it isnt safe on the stock internals. Also, he said that a 50 shot will only give like 35 horses without a bottle warmer? Any information will help.-Jake

·
Registered
368 Posts
The ZEX System, in my opinion, is one of the best and safest to use.:)

But, a simple rule of thumb is not to add more than 30% power gain with bolt ons with out internal work.That being said 108hp stock would put the nitrous at 32.4 hp gain to be safe.Now if you have I/H/E already subtract those gains
from your 32.4hp and you'll see that your 50 shot takes it a little over the "safe" level without internal work.

And even without the blanket, which only keeps the bottle warm keeping the pressure up, you'll still shoot a 50 shot. The inside of your car still get warm, which in turn keeps the bottle warm. They only keep the bottle at a constant temp, the bottle gets colder when you use it, the blanket keeps it at a constant temp. You would still be shooting a full 50 shot the first time you hit the juice.

And yes, I run a nitrous system on my box for those that don't know:D . Mine isn't just for show, it is a go mod. My 30 shot will take my box from 80 mph to 120 in a little over 3 seconds :eek: , which is about all the little motor needs.

A 50 shot is, according to the old rule of thumb on the heavy side and will, if not used correctly, kill your box. I have seen people use it wrong, and burn things ( header, pistons, O2 sensors and such the exhaust gets REAL HOT when you juice).

Hope this helped a little, the ZEX is a safe system, but use it wisely or you will be sorry.Also cost around $50 to fill a bottle.

·
Registered
813 Posts
so wait..if i have headers, exhaust, intake, a crank pulley, and some other engine mods i should only be using a 30 shot ? or should i just not go above 50 ? i know jackshit about nitrous

·
Registered
368 Posts
For safty only go 30% added hp with bolt ons.

Our little 1.5s have a very strange set up. The center line of the piston run about 12 degrees off center of the crank. Making the connecting rod wrist pin area the area that takes the stress.

the bolt ons you have really just free up hp.

if you want to be safe, stay with a 30/35 shot when tuned for it.
if your not too worried about your motor lasting, go 50.not saying stay away from it, just use caution if she is the only thing you got to drive

NOS by itself just adds oxygen into the system, then you need more fuel to burn to make more power. too much and something gives. Had 2 forged pistons melt during a 1/4 mile run with NOS, didn't even get half way and WHOOSH no more motor.still got the pics somewhere of them.

by the way please remember that any warrenty on headers and exhaust goes bye-bye when you add NOS. it burns hotter, sorta like adding O2 to propane to weld. so it has a tendency to melt headers and the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how much were you squeezin to melt forged pistons? Must of been over a 50 shot. I only plan on using it when some civic or other huptie revs on me. On the other hand I plan on building a engine this summer. I can pick up a engine at a junk yard for $650. I plan on getting the hp kit that I found on "the other site". It is like $950 for new gaskets and forged pistons, hp bearings, hp thrust washers, and well I forgot what else but seems like a good deal. Do you think forged h-beam rods are worthe the extra $1500, or should I just shot peen the stockers? The one thing I have not heard is how the crank holds up? Are they anygood? Any information would help. Thanks. -Jake

·
Registered
368 Posts
I was running a bit more, it was a little built datsun motor, she had an estimated 400hp till she went whooooosh.

And I would, if building a motor for a box, would upgrade all the internal, the rods would be worth it.otherwise you might have to start over.If your gonna do it, do it right the first time.

Here is what I found after opening her up

·
Registered
176 Posts
Is there a reason that a good dry system wouldnt work?
For my prior vehicle with NOS I used NX and i liked it... Never tried Zex though.
I just feel that it is less intrusive. just my .02 cents though....

·
Registered
61 Posts
My other car was a 89 CRX Si with a 1.6ltr motor and I was runnin a 65 shot with i,h,e and I never had problems with it (the kit was ZEX). I sold the car and bought a new ZEX Dry kit for my box but I don't wanna void the warranty on it. My dealer said even if I installed it just to purge the juice it would void my warranty. ::Shaking fist at the warranty:: :mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.