Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would a crank pulley be worth $119? would it add anymore power or should i go for some new stainless steel headers for $86? and also would it be worth it for another $150 to go for ceramic coated headers?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If you want to skimp on a header I would get the Megan header. You can find it on ebay pretty reasonably. Not as cheap as $86 though.

If you are willing to spend a few more bucks you have some decent options. MMW (Weapon R) has the only decent 4-2-1 stainless header on the market. It should supply a little better bottom end and mid-range performance. For better top end take a look at DC and Strup. You'll see about the same gains with either. DC is ceramic coated for less heat, and the Strup is stainless for better looks.

DC is the only header that is street legal in California. If that even matters to you.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I'd skip it. It looks similar to the Megan, but an even cheaper knock off. Do a search for Megan header. You should be able to find them on ebay. Even though Megan is Chinese made, it does have a certain level of quality above the other knock off headers you find on ebay. (Including OBX.) At least for the xB application.

Also, if you have $200 you can spend, you can get the MMW header from WeSellCarParts.com until the end of the month.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I have the Megan Header and it is very nice.
I would go with the Perrin Pulley over the header if I had to do it again, I have both.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I felt a big difference with the pulley, hardly felt any difference with header. You don't have to replace the belts or anything. Both have about the same install time and difficulty.

·
Registered
309 Posts
i noticed the pulley gave me the most kick.
i had intake, headers and exhaust before i had the pulley in there and i still noticed a good amount more pull.

·
NEXT LEVEL MOTORING
3,810 Posts
here is some info that may help you. PULLEY

i have the AGENCY POWER Pulley and helps alot going up hill with ease.
never had problem with it.

steer away from unorthodox underdrive pulleys, i heard that they wreck havoc on electrical, so i've heard......
i'll try to search for that post. i'll try.....

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
This might be a heavy winded post, but there's good reason.

I suggest you get the pulley, as from my experience, it's truly the best bang for the buck.

I've had my car for 1.5 years. I've done an engine performance mod just about every 4-6 months. Greatest thing about the 1nz-fe: Each engine performance mod you do, you'll definitely feel a gain. I had Timfiredog help me install my intake, and we both noticed better take-off and highway passing/merging. Axle-back mufflers just add sound, as I found out when I had that done. Then it comes to my beloved pulley. I wish I'da spent my money on this first! the engine was much more responsive and I noticed an increase in power all around. With the pulley, you can definitely tell there's more torque at the wheels - especially during take-off. No, I don't mean just mashing the pedal, with the pulley you don't have to push it as much to get the car going, trust me.

Each mod I've done, a friend and I have raced to see what the box has to offer. She has a stock auto tC. I could barely keep up when I had just the intake and muffler. The pulley made such a difference that I was able to take her until I reached 5k in 3rd. By then her car downshifted and blew by. We did it 3 times, and each time it was the same. GET THE PULLEY, you won't regret it.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Thundergod is correct on the under-drive pulleys. what they do, is underdrive the electrical system so you can get maximum performance from your motor. I'm sure there's a few here and there who have the under-drive pulley, but I bet they're not running anything more than the factory radio and under-hood electronics. No stereos or cathodes....or motorizations .....or....well, you get the point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.