Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 124K on the original tranny.
I have a bad syncro with 3rd gear, (i have to rev up and wait to put it in third).
I have also been finding that when initially putting it in reverse it gives this clunky dropping feeling.

Im a single mom and this is my daily driver so it doesn't need to be super fancy but i do love to rally it around corners ;)

any advice?
and how much to have this all fixed?(need to know to save up)
Im in San Diego so if anyone has a specific place to take it that would be great.
Im leery of the dealerships costs!

Brave Toaster

---------- Post added 05-30-2013 at 01:44 PM ----------

forgot to add its a 1st generation.

·
Tactical Toaster
2,397 Posts
I would pick up a used tranny with low miles, and have your clutch swapped with the new transmission. Stage 1 clutch will have a snappy feel to it, but will run about 3x the cost.

You can have your transmission rebuilt, but it runs about 2-3K depending. BUT AAMCO has a pretty legit warranty on their rebuilds.

New clutch and used tranny will run you around 800-1000 depending. Shops have R&I transmission listed as 9 hours shop time for this car, so expect to shell out for that, too.

·
jpfxB
4,139 Posts
I would pick up a used tranny with low miles, and have your clutch swapped with the new transmission. Stage 1 clutch will have a snappy feel to it, but will run about 3x the cost.

You can have your transmission rebuilt, but it runs about 2-3K depending. BUT AAMCO has a pretty legit warranty on their rebuilds.

New clutch and used tranny will run you around 800-1000 depending. Shops have R&I transmission listed as 9 hours shop time for this car, so expect to shell out for that, too.
What he said

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was hoping that it wouldn't cost that much!
ew... is the tranny hard to get at? my brother is a pretty good mechanic but on classics pre-80's. is this something you think he could do easily?
do you think the rebuild/new tranny is really necessary?

shoulda kept my '65 c10....

·
Tactical Toaster
2,397 Posts
He could do it.

If your syncro is gone, then that needs to be addressed, unfortunately. Whether you just address that, or you address the whole transmission, is up to you, either way it's affected your transmission already. Did you buy it like that, or have you had it for the last 124K miles?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my brother had it before me... he drove it hard and i learned to drive stick in it and third got worse through that learning curve. he told me it had a "cookie bite" out of it and thats why 3rd had issues but im not sure what that means. i know quite a bit about cars but not the ins and outs of trannys so i feel a bit lost on this one. i just know its getting worse and i dont have the money to fix it so i have to go cheap and effective!

·
Tactical Toaster
2,397 Posts
I have never heard that term applied to a car, so I'm at a loss for what it means.

Jamming or muscling through the gears (shifting hard and fast), skipping gears, things like this will wear out your syncros, as will driving with a bad clutch. I think there's quite a combination of your brother's driving habits that have worn this transmission out. Unfortunately, replacing the clutch a while ago from the sounds of it would have saved a bit of money.

Is the car a daily driver?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it is a daily driver and my 3rd gear is just odd. it grinds if you try to shift it in like the other gears, you have to rev up and wait a sec or two. grrrr...I appreciate all your help tho my brother is not in the country at the time so i cant bug him with my questions.

but what i find so odd is that i got my oil changed about two months ago and asked them to drive it and see if they thought it needed help and they said my tranny was fine. this coming from toyota!!

·
Tactical Toaster
2,397 Posts
I have that problem too, every now and again, It's just synchros. That's why it's an intermittent problem (for me it happens a couple times a month) and a tech (if they're well versed in driving a stick especially) might miss it. Try to add rev-matching into your shifting pattern. It'll help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would not rebuild the transmission, I would buy one from a wrecking yard, but not from California.
I have bought transmissions and complete engines, much cheaper than doing repairs, guaranteed to work, by the seller, or they will give you another.
Best bet is from Nebraska, Ohio, Kentucky, price plus shipping probably 300 dollars.
Best deals are on the east coast, but they will not ship to California.
The site for wrecking yards nation wide is, car-part.com
Also if your brother is going to replace it, he can buy a transmission jack, and engine support at Harbor freight, that will do the job, both for around 150 or less.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
great website! thanks for that! i was also wondering if we did the build ourselves what do you think of this clutch kit? (Ralco RZ Stage 1 Full Organic Clutch Kit 03-06 SCION xB) like i said earlier i use it as a daily in san diego traffic. i dont want it to be too graby just nice and smooth. i got lots a hills and parallel parking!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you only have automatics i do not understand why you even commented on my thread. It is clearly for a manual transmission vehicle and any advice you have is a mute point because you don't understand the workings of the vehicle.

Can someone with actual manual transmission knowledge answer my quandary?
Maybe the informed blogger i was chatting to before.

no hard feelings. still appreciate the website link. but i need someone who understands a manual.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you only have automatics i do not understand why you even commented on my thread. It is clearly for a manual transmission vehicle and any advice you have is a mute point because you don't understand the workings of the vehicle.

Can someone with actual manual transmission knowledge answer my quandary?
Maybe the informed blogger i was chatting to before.

no hard feelings. still appreciate the website link. but i need someone who understands a manual.
I have had standard transmission vehicles, but I have never wasted money on modifications to a transmission, my main priority with a transmission, has been good service, keeping it running cool, this alone is costly with today's syntetic fluids.
Really I could care less what you do, someone else will use the info I have provided.:D

·
Tactical Toaster
2,397 Posts
If you couldn't care less, then you should stay away from "helping" people. Her response, while a little harsh, is still valid. And most wreckers do NOT provide a warranty with a used part. Don't know why you think it's costly to keep a transmission serviced, the dealership just charged me 52 bucks the last time I had my gear oil changed.

The stage 1 is going to be a bit snappy, but it'll definitely last longer on the hills and traffic. I haven't heard of Ralco, but they've gotten a couple decent reviews that I've read, but that they also tend to be a little soft. Might be just what you're looking for, actually.

Rev-matching is putting your engine at the same speed it would be turning at in gear, and then putting it into gear. Double clutching helps too, but it's a pain in the arse to master.

If you shift from, say 2 to 3 from 3500 RPM, when you let the clutch out and your car goes to, say 2200 RPM, if you keep the engine at 2200 RPM it'll make it easier.

I do recommend an overhaul or replacement, yes, it sounds like your transmission is having not a fun time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why modify a family wagon, when there are much better handleling cars out there if you wanted a race car, this is not it.
I know plenty about transmissions, I have done transmission rebuilds, too easy to screw up.
Most wrecking yards guarantee the parts you buy, maybe not in Oregon, but the rest of the nation does, if they did not, why would a customer come back to buy something that does not work.

·
Tactical Toaster
2,397 Posts
I said warranty. NOT guarantee. TL ; DR: I'm more informed than you are.

Why modify a family wagon?

Because it's fun.

Stay out of peoples threads if you're not really going to help.

I for one think you're an un-helpful jackass that doesn't belong on this site.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
THANK YOU Liquid snak!!!! he is a jackass and obviously isnt paying any attention to what this thread is concerning and i feel that even i know more about all this than he does.

BTW: my tranny crapped out on me on my way home from work after all the info you gave me and today im getting under it myself and pulling this thing apart to see what i need to do. im thinking i will either get it overhauled or buy one that already has been.

so for now im off the road and might hit you up if i need any more info about how to move forward once i know what im looking at.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts