Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I am a Newbie and have just purchased an RS 3.0. My wife and I have been searching for new vehicles for a long time and there was much debating on what we were going to purchase.

Last month I put 1k down on a 06 civic Si because I am in need of a new car. I currently am driving a ford contour, which has seen better days. The Si has a build date of 03/18/06-03/22/06. It should arrive in mid April.
My wife currently owns a 2004 Honda accord lx v6 sedan, which we are tired of. We are using this vehicle as trade for my soon to be Si. Contract already written through dealership with minimal trade-in value promised.

That leaves me with a new car and her with, uh.... my ford contour, which I consider my work car.

We have looked at the new GTI DSG 2.0 T, a new Passat 3.6 (fast as hell I might add but more than we wanted to spend) and an Audi A3. We also considered waiting for the soon to debut Camry and many others that aren’t worth mentioning.

You notice I didn’t mention the Scion XB. 2 weeks ago at the St.louis auto-show she sat in one and immediately decided against it. She is a "high class" Japanese woman who seems to be attracted to high-end automobiles only. Unfortunately, I knew that I was in trouble. I had already made a deal on trading the Accord V6 for a new Si.

One day she came to her senses and decided that she will consider a XB. We visited scion.com and read up on the car and it seemed to offer many features for such a fair price. Plus it has plenty of room and gets great gas mileage. I also checked kbb-nada-edmunds and was absolutely shocked on how well the xb's hold their resale value.

We went to our local Scion dealer later that evening and test-drove an xb auto; she refuses to drive a manual tranny. I was expecting a pathetic dog, but overall, I would honestly have to say that it performed much better than my 97 ford contour zetec.

The test drive impressed us both. We came back home afterwards and did more research and researched the RS 3.0 envy green. I think that the color is great. A little bit of a shocker, but it will do us both some good. It also offers features that I would never expect to have in an automobile of mine, no matter how upscale.

Great fuel economy, proven chasis and engineering, toyota build quality! More or less the "last of the breed".

So glad we didn't get in more debt of a GTI or even a more expensive Passat.

To make an already long story short, the dealer had one on allocation. It was an automatic. We put down our deposit and the car is practically ours. I am very excited about the decision we made and cannot wait to post pictures and share my ownership experience will everyone on this site.

I have been reading these forums for over a week now and am very impressed at how fair everyone is to one another. I frequent many other forums under the same screen name and I find many attitude problems and a lot of cockiness. Hence my taking the time to join and post this message.

Well, I'm practically a green box owner and am patiently waiting for them to reach St.Louis dealerships. I was told with in the next week. I am excited.

The only thing I am concerned about at the present is a rock chip. How do guys feel about 3m protectant across the tender front bumper cover? I like to keep my cars in showroom condition for as long as possible and want to try to defeat the flaws I read about.

Anyways, thanks--and peace. You will be hearing a lot from me over and over again the next few years I am sure.

Kevin

·
Registered
362 Posts
Kevin,

Welcome to Club xB and glad to have you as part of RS3 family~~!! (mine is arriving next week)

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Kevin,

WELCOME to Club xB!!!!!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Kevin, let me also say congrats to your purchase of the RS3. Get used to all the stares you will encounter for about a year.

That being said, consider getting a decent alarm system. Something other then the Scion security. Possibly one with a pager option and motion sensor inside. The reason, becuase you are rolling around in a marked car. It will only be a matter of time until everyone knows that a GREEN box = an Alpine CD/DVD player and 2 headrests with tvs. Make sure your insurance is aware that the car has these items too. Im not wishing ill will on you, just giving you a heads up. BTW .. those limited hub caps, those will be stolen and placed on Ebay in no time.

Once you get settled on security consider an intake. Do your homework and use the SEARCH button on all forums. Youll get several different answers, enough to make your head explode. For me the answer was simple, Injen short ram ( aka 1st gen ) because someone has taken the time to dyno it against several others. Injen was the best and almost the cheapest.

Any other mods you may want to do, do them privately. If you go to the dealership, you will pay premium price for everything.

Enjoy your box, and shop around everywhere for your future parts.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Welcome!

Hey Kevin, owning an xB is the most "legal" fun allowed by law! As for your concern about chips, you could look into a bra or maybe even a "clear bra" that covers the leading edges (and allows the paint to still be seen).

Anyone with info on the "clear bra?"

Alex, Jim??????........... Anyone?

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Welcome aboard! Do all the RS 3.0 come with the Audio/Video package, or is it a extra option?

·
Registered
49 Posts
The DVD audio/video with the dual 7" monitor headrest is part of the standard RS 3. package. Also part of the standard RS 3 package is an upgraded security package that has some form of radar sensor motion detection. From what I understand it will detect movement in the car if your windows are rolled down.

·
Registered
109 Posts
SoonerFever said:
The DVD audio/video with the dual 7" monitor headrest is part of the standard RS 3. package. Also part of the standard RS 3 package is an upgraded security package that has some form of radar sensor motion detection. From what I understand it will detect movement in the car if your windows are rolled down.
Thats cool if that is the case. It would be nice to have a decent theif provention system installed from Scion.

·
Registered
362 Posts
moriarty said:
excited much. i can't wait for you to come and get it! i am just a little sad that i won't have one to play with.

anyway, back on topic, congrats on the new whip.
Mickael,

I will give you a couple days to play with it but don't let anyone else in!! ;) I will be driving up there most likely Friday next week.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Scion Security sucks!!! :(!

Congrats on the new box!!

Notice most ppl already getting them are NOT in CA!! Isn't that strange??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CBSIMONSEZ said:
Kevin, let me also say congrats to your purchase of the RS3. Get used to all the stares you will encounter for about a year.

That being said, consider getting a decent alarm system. Something other then the Scion security. Possibly one with a pager option and motion sensor inside. The reason, becuase you are rolling around in a marked car. It will only be a matter of time until everyone knows that a GREEN box = an Alpine CD/DVD player and 2 headrests with tvs. Make sure your insurance is aware that the car has these items too. Im not wishing ill will on you, just giving you a heads up. BTW .. those limited hub caps, those will be stolen and placed on Ebay in no time.

Once you get settled on security consider an intake. Do your homework and use the SEARCH button on all forums. Youll get several different answers, enough to make your head explode. For me the answer was simple, Injen short ram ( aka 1st gen ) because someone has taken the time to dyno it against several others. Injen was the best and almost the cheapest.

Any other mods you may want to do, do them privately. If you go to the dealership, you will pay premium price for everything.

Enjoy your box, and shop around everywhere for your future parts.

Everyone, thanks for all of your kindness.

I will inform my insurance company about the model I own. I will just make sure they know that it is an RS 3.0. I don't want to mention anything else to them that will make my rate of $240/6mos full coverage go up. (If I dont have to) As long as I have that an RS 3.0 is insured on record and on paper I will be happy---If I can pull this off, then I will have the insurance company played.

We live in a nice area so I will keep my fingers crossed that nothing bad happens to my car. As far as mods go, I will wait until the new wears off. Whenever that may be. Right now I am running out of money.
If I would ever catch anyone stealing my hubcaps, I would chop off their fingers.

What do you guys think about 3m protectact for the fron of the vehicle. I have been reading that many people complain about rock chips??

Any ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One more thing.

I know that many people mod the xb.

If you scroll up, some-1 is mentioning an intake.
Not to be rude or sound stupid, but this xb is an automatic.
Can simple mods such as an intake or an exhaust on the xb make a worth-while difference?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Hey Kevin,

Welcome to the family.

Anyway, clear bra = good. I'm getting it on my RS1.0 in the next month and my wife's RS3.0 soon thereafter. Keep the edges clean and you'll never even see it.

If you do an air intake you WILL actually feel it. It won't make the xB a race car, but I drive stock xBs back to back with mine every day and I can tell that mine is faster.

Everybody here knows that the RS3 has an upgraded form of the Scion Security System, right? It's more than just the normal system and includes an interior motion sensor. There's no 2-way pager, but I was messing with it and it's pretty cool. It's not advertised anywhere, but I'm pretty sure it's an Alpine unit.

Congrats again Kevin on getting one of the 2200. Join up with either Scikotics or STLScions and come on up to Ames in May!

-Alex

·
Registered
109 Posts
grizzly_choppers said:
If you do an air intake you WILL actually feel it. It won't make the xB a race car, but I drive stock xBs back to back with mine every day and I can tell that mine is faster.
Thanks for the back up. I noticed the difference just as soon as i did the swap.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hi Kevin, I just finished day three with my new polar white box. All I can say is, "What a cruiser!" The garage currently has a Tc and an Xb. The new Si sedan is gonna freakin rock though. I can't wait to see them:cool: .

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Is the security system from Scion with the added radar or is it from Alpine. I read on another board that someone had the Scion security system and that it turns off with turning the key, so when the thief pried the drivers handle and lock off turned the latch with a screwdriver it turned the alarm off and away they went. Something to look into since you are right ENvy Green should now be called Alpine Green and have the Alpine Vinyl on the windshield like the cars in the 90's who could not afford a system and wanted to pretend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
just financed my rs 3.0 02/17/06

It feels kinda stupid cuz here I am 22 yrs old my first brand new car financed in my name and I did not even see the exact vehicle b4 I got. Anywayz I'm confident that I will be vey satisfied. The process was so sweet. Different from what we had to go through when my mom got my mazda3 in 2004 or when we refinanced it. They did not even ask me to C a paycheck; guess cuz my credit is great for a 22 yr old) plus they beat the lowest rate that I had been offered by capital one auto finance which was around 7.75 for 60 months. Well cant wait to be cruising in my box-o-envy on Monday. By the way I'm in NW Georgia.:)

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.