Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie questions.

2K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  ScottyTuned 
#1 ·
So I've decided that I'm going with TRD springs. Like I've said before, I only want a little drop, nothing I'll scrape with. So that problem is solved.

Now, my ex pokes in and offers his opinion. While he's not a total idiot when it comes to mods, he's not exactly a pro either. He told me that if I want to put 18's on, I should put them on first, then the springs because it would be hella easier. True or False?

Also, how easy was it for you guys to put the springs on? As you can tell, I really don't have a clue as to what I'm doing, but my dad is good at this stuff and I'm pretty good with an instruction manual. So on a scale of 1-5, 5 being "hire a professional," what do you think I'm looking at?

#2 ·
I dont know what your ex is talkin about honestly. Do them in any order ya want really. It makes no sense to me why itd be in a specific order.

I didnt do my spring install. I have a guy that does my suspension work for me. I figure if I screw up on a fiberglass grille, at least I wont veer off at 80 mph on the interstate into an oncoming semi. lol. The install, honestly though, is really easy. I was with him the pretty much the whole time he did my DFs, and I could have done it if I had the lift and tools he did. It wasnt a challenge. On a scale of 1-5, Id say its a 2 probaby. If you can use a wrench, you can pretty much do them. If I remember correctly, he might not have used a spring compressor even (I ran to get pizza and beverages a couple times)

Scotty

#3 ·
Here's a link to a DIY spring install http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20769&sid=593e25d4b01c46539ea84d2ad81d5c8b It's not very difficult at all. It took me maybe an hour or so to do it by myself. It should go alot qicker if you have some help. OH and about the wheels before the springs thing, I don't see what it would matter since you have to take the wheels off to do the springs anyway.

P.S.
I'm not sure about the rules on posting links to other forums, If it's not allowed just delete this post please, Thanks

#4 ·
I think he might mean in the terms of which mod looks better to do first, not so much as which one needs to be done first...

But i would reccomend doing which ever one you would like to have more first, then build around it...like if you want a certain rim, get them first then drop so you can make sure the rims fit when dropped. and if the don't then its not a big deal. But if you want drop i say drop it first then, put rims that work with the drop.

#5 ·
You can do either mod first or second it won't make a difference other than the way your ride looks.

As far as installing the springs. It's not that tough. Cravin helped me with mine the first time and I've done the a couple of times since. I even did them alone one time (although I don't advise that route) and I've lowered another Box too. Just follow the directions, take your time and above all else, be safe. If you have any specific questions about the spring install, just send me a PM.

#6 ·
Thanks for the input!

JSYK, the ex did mean it was easier to do the rims first. When I asked why, he didn't really have an answer, just a big tough guy attitude like your parents give you when you're a kid. The "because I said so, that's why" kinda thing. :rolleyes:

#9 ·
WhoDisFoo said:
That's a coilover, right??

*ducks in fear of being wrong*
You are correct and I believe Pete is planning on bringing those to the Scinergy meeting on Thursday night and leaving them in my Box. Or I could just be a little high...yeah, that's probably it. :D

#13 ·
ScionScotty said:
yea it is. tein though. for the price, it really honestly doesnt go that low . kinda disappointing almost IMHO. i thought about buying a set of bB tein wagon coilovers, but the lowness wasnt enough. it doesnt matter though since you dont wanna go low.

scotty
Yeah, I agree w/ Scott. If you wanna ride on 15's, dont get em, go with Cusco. But if ur ridin on 18's and above, go for it. I ride on 18's with a 40 series and I still have an inch left to drop it more. When I get my 35 series, I'll be lowering it more :D If you get Tein though, you can get the device called EDFC which lets you control the stiffness of the ride from inside the car. No other manf. offers such a thing. Thats on my next to do list also :cool:

#15 · (Edited)
You are correct the pic above are coilovers, then there are airbags. Basically the airbags allow you to raise and lower like hydrolics on those lowriders. As far as what you should first rims or springs, do them both at the same time. The gap between the tire and the wheel well is insanly large.

I have the TRD springs, they don't lower much and unless you have crazy offset on the rim you shouldn't be worried about wheel rub. Now as far as how good it looks, it's about the difference of one finger. For example, stock rims and springs four fingers between the top of the tire to the wheel arch on the fender. After TRD springs three fingers. Tire size, offset of rim, rims size, and some other things are something you should take into consideration.

I know this cause I am riding the TRD springs shocks and struts. You really can't tell the difference in hieght unless I am next to a stock xB and even then it's barely noticable. On the other hand when I see stock xB's with stock rims I can tell when they are still riding one stock springs by looking at the gap between the tire and wheel arch.

I got some 16 inch rota grids with 205/45/16 tires on them and even though they look like they are the same hieght as the Stock rims. But after I put them on I noticed the wheel gap looked larger with the Grids on then when I had the stock rims on.

Hopefully I didn't confuse you. I can point you in a better direction if needs be.

here are some pics

#21 ·
hayalex6 said:
what are you lowered on?

Also, are you positive it's rubbing? have you checked your tires and wheel well for marks?

im not lowered on anything yet... i just bought my xB like a week ago.. it came with 18's, but i like the 17's that were on my civic so i put them on since the xB and civic have the same lug pattern. I checked the tire and there were no marks, but i heard a noise come from the passenger side when i turned the wheel to the right.

#25 ·
ScionScotty said:
yea it is. tein though. for the price, it really honestly doesnt go that low . kinda disappointing almost IMHO. i thought about buying a set of bB tein wagon coilovers, but the lowness wasnt enough. it doesnt matter though since you dont wanna go low.

scotty
Not to bring up a dead subject, but I also wanted to point out that Scott's coilovers, are more for looks. Mine are more set up for track purposes, as I wish to someday auto-x and road race the lil toaster. I'm not worried about going low enough, but more worried about adjusting the damper from inside my ride with the EDFC that TEIN produces to go along with my set up. :cool:

#26 ·
Defintly. Thats a good point to bring up. Call me crazy, but the more i drive with the Progress coilovers, the more I think that my Tanabe DF210s were much better for handling. Its taken a decline since i put coilovers on oddly enough. Then again, I dont usually take turns at crazy speeds, and theres no track around to race, but yea, Progress are for looks and slammage. Tein and Jic and HKS and all those are much better for handling IMHO. I personally would rather lay out than track it, so thats what I went for.

Scotty

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.