Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm a pre-buyer I guess ;)

I've narrowed down my car search pretty much to the box (other vehicle in the running is the '07 Saturn Vue - decent mileage and good options for the price, and the pricing's similar when combined with the GM discount we get....altough the xB is leading by a landslide so far) - just have some newbie questions to air!

If (when?) we get the xB - we're torn between the '06(.5 - new) and the '08.

...while I don't love the '08's look, and HATE the camry engine upgrade to 2.4L (seems like most of you are quite happy with the 1.5, but even the 1.8 would've been fine...)....the '08 has more of the options/standards that I'm looking for....(airbags, stability which I believe are n/a on the 06? and things like cruise, remote keyless, which I was planning on paying for anyway)...

I priced out a new 06 with some basic options I wanted and the price is within a few hundred bucks of the '08 (08 base is $16,600 I believe, and that's with more options.)

So - which one to go with?

- MPG is important, gas prices are ca. $3/gal around the Cleveland area today (and it's still April). '08 w/ the Camry engine should get ca. 22/28 (still not bad, but not anywhere near the mileage you guys are getting!)

- Airbags are important (I was t-boned by a blazer and should have been hurt...got lucky!) and don't seem to be possible on the '06....

- keyless entry, armrest, etc. is all nice, and included on the '08...other than that, don't really care (and not a modder, sorry...)

Some other stupid questions:
- Do the back seats come out on the '06? Any word on the '08? Does the front passenger seat fold flat? I can't find any of this anywhere (here, on the official site, edmunds, etc.). I'm a drummer and need to haul stuff to gigs, plus the gf occassionally riding shotgun.

- anyone having problems with the 04-06 windsheids cracking? I read that on another xB forum....looks like the new body style should fix that...

I'll stop the rambling now.......

Thanks,

Dominic

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Welcome Dominic.

IMO, I believe the price/features ratio is in favor of the new xB. You being a drummer, the extra cargo space is a plus. The rear seats are not removable on any of the 1st Gen xB's. You're gonna have airbags galore on the new xB (side airbag curtains are standard IIRC), but I haven't noticed anything as far as Traction Control. VSC is still there, and it has an on/off switch for it.

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
Get a real BOX, 1st gen hands down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
the 1st gen. for me wins on style but the 2nd gen might be more suited for hauling ( but i have yet to see one in person) because of motor size i wonder about mpg besause of bigger motor

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I'd prefer the 1st gen for it's uniqueness. The 08' has the added power and cargo space, but has the everyday nothing special CRV/Rav4 look.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I'd consider the Mazda5 over anything else the size of an xB. Mazda5 is sweet, I seen one the other day with wheels, drool.

Attachments

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
Yeah my roommate has the top of the line mazda 6 speed and its pretty sweet.
Very fast and comes w/18" wheels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice...

Anyone know when the '08s are available?

I was told by a dealer "Late April/Early May", then "Late May/Early June"... Maybe they're waiting for a closer-to-zero inventory number? (I saw the "Last Ones" xB site somewhere here, was somewhere around 960 left yesterday.)

I don't want to wait too long if I don't have too...might just get the '06...might answer my own question...

The Saturn Vue was the last remaining in a long list of possibilities, other than the box (mainly because of the GM discount). The box is, by far, winning in a landslide so far.

(My gf's mom has an 04 Vue that she loves - we driven it and it rides/handles/hauls well - decent gas mpg for the size, and nice inside/out. however, our last ride was a Saturn wagon - 99 SW2 - and the engine siezed up in the middle of Cleveland winter, on the way to a big gig - we had below 0* temps, and I guess it was "consuming" oil - not burning or leaking, but "eating" oil - happened within about 2 weeks, and in between oil changes - needed a new engine so we sold it for cheap....just 133k!....that's what we get for buying an american car...lol)

We looked at the Mazda5 - but the 2nd row seats don't come out and you can't get power sliding doors....so why bother?

With gas prices where they are now ($3/gal today in Cleveland) the box still beats them all - 06 or 08, but the 06 is clearly at the top of the heap in that regard (not to mention style/look for sure, etc.)

I was under the impression that Traction Control is included on the 06, and they added VSC on the 08 (along with all the airbags.) Too bad you can't add a/m airbags like you can add everything else! (or can you??)

Not crazy about the 08 styling or the significant drop in mpg with the big camry engine.

thanks,

Dominic

·
Blah.. :D
1,466 Posts
welcome to the club man.. im also a musician(drummer) .. i have a 05 box... and man... let me tell u.. i can fit everything into it... i dont really have to fold down my back seats.. hence my bass box but yeah.. i fit everything in the backseats... this is where all of those years of playing tetris come into play... :D ..lol.. but yeah.. i live in cali and gas prices are almost reaching 3.50 per gallon... bout 2 years ago i used to fill up with like 17-20 bucks... and now more like 25-27.. its not bad as opposed to driving a dodge ram hemi 5.7 hemi... this car is economical, spacy, cute, and ummm iono..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Toyota/Scion Press Release....guess this answers some '08 questions...
Scion xB Price Announcement

Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc., is excited to announce pricing for the all-new next generation xB urban utility vehicle. It will be arriving at dealerships in early May 2007.

Iconic Style
The all-new 2008 xB will uphold the Scion icon status of the previous generation. It separates itself from the crowd by incorporating distinctive design elements from the t2B concept vehicle. Exterior styling cues include a wide stance, high beltline, elongated headlamps that wrap around the side of the vehicle, inset taillights, rectangular grille, pronounced fenders, and a single rear backup light on the left bumper. The xB also features halogen headlamps with a projector low-beam lamp, tinted rear windows, and turn signals integrated into the side mirrors.

Bigger Box
The xB’s driving experience is enhanced by an overall size increase. At the request of current xB owners, the next generation xB dimensions grow significantly in comparison to the current model. The wheelbase increases four inches, overall length increases by a foot, and overall width by almost three inches. Standard 16-inch wheels are one inch larger than its predecessor, and are offered with a choice of three wheel covers. The xB also receives 4-wheel disc brakes, upgrading the rear brakes from drum to disc. A MacPherson strut front and rear torsion beam suspension produces a sporty, yet smooth, comfortable ride.

Performance Boost
xB owners asked for a more powerful engine. Scion responded with an all-new xB equipped with a 2.4 L dual overhead-cam four-cylinder engine with Variable Valve Timing (VVT-i). The engine churns out 158 horsepower, 55 more than the previous generation. It is available with a five-speed manual transmission or four-speed sequential shift automatic, a first for automatic four-speeds in the Scion or Toyota line-up.

Creature Comforts
The xB interior was designed to create a lounge-like feel with a focus on utility, storage, and seating flexibility. The versatile interior provides 21.7 cubic feet of cargo area behind the rear seats. The 60/40 split rear seats fold flat, providing a spacious and flat cargo floor to accommodate larger loads with ease. To further increase cargo space or to take a break and relax, the front seats have the capability to fully recline. A captain’s chair style armrest and seat height adjustment are added to the driver’s seat for increased comfort.

Cruise control and steering wheel audio controls become standard for the 2008 model year xB. A deep orange illuminated circular 4-dial combination meter includes an LCD speedometer with odometer and trip information. An LCD drive monitor positioned to the left of the speedometer displays outside temperature, driving time, cruising range, average fuel consumption, average vehicle speed, and current fuel consumption. It can be switched to display either a clock or the drive monitor at the push of a button. When the ignition is turned on, the drive monitor and speedometer together display the welcome message “SCION xB”. In addition, the heating and cooling system performance has been increased by 10% over the previous generation model, resulting in enhanced cooling performance in the summer heat. The center and side registers now have improved capabilities to direct airflow, yet are much quieter.

The xB’s standard 160-watt Pioneer AM/FM/CD audio system is upgraded with direct iPod connectivity and a mini-jack port. iPod song navigation and selection can be controlled from either the controls on the head unit or the steering wheel. While the iPod is connected, the track, artist, and album information is displayed in one-line on the audio screen. xB’s optional premium audio system has the added ability to download images, four-second video clips, and eight-second movies onto the head unit. Both audio systems retain key Scion audio system features such as Scion Sound Processing (SSP) where listeners can choose from three pre-set equalizer settings, satellite radio compatibility, MP3 and WMA capability, Automatic Sound Leveling (ASL) and Sound Retouch Technology (SRT), which provides clearer CD sound quality. Both systems feature six speakers, which consists of one tweeter and two speakers in each door panel. An ultra-premium Scion Navigation System (SNS) is also available, taking in-car infotainment to the next level.

xB buyers will discover abundant interior storage in some unconventional locations. A center console box with a front compartment keeps essential items close at hand. The front driver has an easily accessible convenience tray and front door storage, along with a glove box. A fixed storage tray is located under the rear seat to hide away items like umbrellas, magazines, cameras, laptops, cell phone chargers, and CDs. In addition, the cargo area has a practical under floor storage area. Spilled beverages are a thing of the past with double cup-holders integrated in both the front and rear consoles, and bottle holders on the front and rear door pockets.

Standard Safety

* xB offers a broad array of standard safety features, including:
* 4-wheel Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
* Vehicle Stability Control (VSC)1 with Traction Control (TRAC) and Brake Assist (BA)
* Driver and front passenger dual stage airbags (SRS)
* Driver and front passenger seat-mounted side airbags
* Front and rear side curtain airbags
* 3-point front seatbelts with force limiters and pretensioners
* 3-point rear seatbelts with Auto/Emergency Locking Retractors (ALR/ELR)
* Direct tire pressure monitor system
* Side impact door beams

Customization
The xB is engineered with special accommodations for customization. Most Scion customers add accessories to personalize their vehicles specifically to their tastes. In order to accommodate customers’ needs, holes have been placed on the bumpers and body side to facilitate the addition of aftermarket exterior body enhancements. Sheet metal access holes also exist in the inner side of the rear luggage door to allow for easier rear spoiler installation. In addition, the rear bumper is shaped so no notching is needed when adding an exhaust diffuser. Pre-wires for the front fog light kit allow for a quicker installation with less disassembly, resulting in a higher quality installation. The premium audio unit now comes with standard rear RCA jack outputs for those owners wishing to take their sound system to the next level. They will no longer need to replace the factory audio unit in order to add external amps to enhance the output of their audio/video systems.

1 with VSC OFF switch

Accessories
TMS Corporate Accessories Department, TRD, and Optomize will offer a broad array of accessories that will exceed all Scion /Toyota accessory offerings to date and allow customers to create a vehicle that is both unique and personal.
Coming from CAD will be over 40 accessories, with over 30 available at launch and the remaining scheduled to be available within a few weeks of launch. There are several all-new and exciting genuine accessories such as the Scion Navigation System (SNS), the illuminated door sill plates and DVD headrest monitors which are certain to satisfy Scion owners’ desires for cutting edge electronic products.

TRD will offer 17 performance related accessories, including such items as a cold air intake, quick shift kit, suspension package and an exciting new 19-inch alloy wheel and tire package. For the real performance enthusiast a supercharger is in the works. It is expected to boost vehicle performance by more than 20%.

Optomize is poised and ready to fill in where CAD and TRD leave off. We have secured exclusive rights to market and distribute the exciting new body kit by FiveAxis. It will be the only xB body kit on the market at launch. This kit is styled after the FiveAxis xB show car that was on display at the 2007 Chicago Auto Show. In addition to the body kit, Optomize will expand its line up to include more under hood and exterior/interior dress up parts, Scion Release Series accessories and Tuner wear.

Pricing
xB is positioned to attract a youthful buyer that demands a high level of standard equipment and outstanding quality at an affordable price. Considering the increased size, enhanced engine performance, and generous list of standard features, the 2008 xB price is an outstanding value:

MODEL BODY STYLE TRANSMISSION MSRP
6202 5 Dr. Hatchback 4AT w/sequential $16,600
6203 5 Dr. Hatchback 5MT $15,650

xB is mono-spec with no factory options, however customers can personalize their xB with their choice of audio, wheel cover design, and a sizeable list of available genuine Scion accessories. Additional accessories are available through Scion Optomize and TRD.​

·
Registered
84 Posts
My mom has a new 07 saturn vue and its really nice... and the new ones come with a honda engine in them so you know its not a POS... but, its still a saturn in my book... and they depreciate rather quickly. The only thing you need to think about if your looking at the 06.5 box is to get really good gas mileage, you need to stay around 3,000 RPMs... and dont have a lead foot all the time... anyone second that? lol

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
Sweet cuz thats a little over 75mph for me, I think. Just fast enough for the highway.

·
Project Cop Box
540 Posts
The only thing you need to think about if your looking at the 06.5 box is to get really good gas mileage, you need to stay around 3,000 RPMs... and dont have a lead foot all the time... anyone second that? lol
i get 32 mpg consistantly and i don't have to stay around 3k rpms.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you have rims on your xB? What about an intake and exhaust? I have 18s so maybe thats why? I dunno... I also switched my box over to fully synthetic, but was told i was supossed to get better mileage after doing that. Today I filled up though and i got 32.8 mpg... so hopefully it stays this way :0)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hmmm. I just bought an 06 Salsa Red Pearl. It came with airbags standard (side airbags were the option), stability/traction control, and remote keyless entry. Cruise control, like the side airbags, is an add-on.

(airbags, stability which I believe are n/a on the 06? and things like cruise, remote keyless, which I was planning on paying for anyway)...

So I wouldn't drop consideration of the 06 xB for those reasons. ...

Cheers,

·
Registered
84 Posts
There is no doubt or regrets here...and I own an '05 BOP. Fuel economy is great...in the mid 30's. Cargo room is plentiful being a college student and outdoor camper. Plus the 1st gen beats the 2nd on looks hands down. With a few modifications here and there, you will be cruisin in style. But hey it's all about what YOU like.

Just thought I'd throw my .02 in good luck with the buy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.