Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a new xb in about a month. I am going to get 15" alloys cause stock rims look cheap and boring. The 17" look pretty cool but i just think an extra $1995.00 is a crapload of extra money. The 15" are only $665.00 more. It was interesting to read somewhere on this site that with alloys, the gas mileage will be better. Is that because of weight savings or? Does anyone feel there is a handling and or traction differance on differant size wheels? I was under the impression that all these differant wheels differances was just about looks and or prestige. thanx, rbarrett

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Get the hub caps, you can get a good set of 17" rims and tires for under a grand anywhere.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
My opinion is that any wheels you get through the dealer are way overpriced. If you can swing it, buy something on your own. I had my 15 TRDs added in to my financing, but they look as cheap as hub caps to me and I don't feel that I really got my money's worth. And I'll be paying for it for awhile still!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good reading

Rodek said:
I chose the 15" EM-7 Alloys. No need to buy larger tires, or upgrade the brakes/suspension. I also retained my stock ride quality.

If you have a few minutes, read this article.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=104526
Thanx for that info. Answered all the questions i had. I was already planning on doing just what you did for the same reasons but i was curious about the "bigger wheels" rbarrett

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
To make a long story short, to give me the better ride, vastly improved wet traction and tire wear, with slightly improved cut-in, directional stability, and noise, I went with the BF Goodrich Traction T/A in the OEM size for the JDM Toyota bB. This also corrected the stock speedometer error (~3%).

At the same time I went with the Sport Edition D3 alloy wheel, which looks appropriately 'robust' on the box, instead of some lacey spiderweb wheel or Conestoga wagon wheel. :)

Together the new wheels AND tires AND chome lugs AND wheel locks AND balancing AND shipping cost me just over $600.

I'm pleased with the look, and VERY pleased with the tire's performance.

(more pics in my CLUBxB gallery)

Tomas

·
Registered
94 Posts
Rodek said:
I agree. Maybe there would be some safer people out there if more people read that article.
However, the article also has the comment "Going from 16s to 18s is no big deal. Going from 16s to 22s can create issues"...

So, going from oem 15s on the XB to a set of 17s is no real issue. I think the 18s are a stretch, but...

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Lizard1 said:
I think the 18s are a stretch, but...
I believe 18's are the most common size upgrade. 17's are kinda like 20's to the import world, everyone is either going bigger or back to wide 15's and 16's. It's no big deal to have 20's on a SUV or Truck any more because now most come stock with them, so people are going 22's and up. 17's are a stock size to a lot of imports now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Padanky said:
I believe 18's are the most common size upgrade. 17's are kinda like 20's to the import world, everyone is either going bigger or back to wide 15's and 16's. It's no big deal to have 20's on a SUV or Truck any more because now most come stock with them, so people are going 22's and up. 17's are a stock size to a lot of imports now.

the conversation entailed going up many sizes from OEM standard sizes. Guy in the article was stating that a vehicle with 16s on it from the factory isn't so hot with 22s on it. If it came from the factory with 20s, a 22 isn't a stretch.

It's bumping up 5 sizes that is the point. thus, my response that going from 15s to even 18s is ok, but beyond that is getting into a grey zone...

·
Registered
201 Posts
yeah i wanted bigget but if you want to go bigger you have to get custom fenders and some sort of lift kit so it will actually fit... the way way it would actually work, is all grey area now.

p.s. xBs are not allowed and should be destroyed if they EVER get on lowrider magazine.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I, personally, bought the 15's because I wasnt about to pay 2g for some TRD wheels and I hate steelies. Also I know someone who powdercoats wheels so I will prolly get him to powdercoat the wheels black and have a slick set of stock wheels.

Im lookin at some 20's for $1500, and they are much nicer than the TRD's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts