Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I drive over 60 mph, my steering wheel starts to shake. Do you think it is from the aftermarket rims or something else? The new rims are 215/35/18's.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I'm running the same size and my wheel shakes like crazy at 70+ mph. Almost embarrassing, I hold the bottom of the steering when so other cars can't see my arm shaking.

I guess we need alignments.

·
Registered
317 Posts
my buddy had the same problem what you need to do is either tighten the nuts or get spacers, in my buddys case he hot spacers.

·
Ain't too Funk to Druck.
17,243 Posts
that's funny padanky. i did the exact same thing. i didn't want people to think that i have terrets or somethin. i changed my wheels back to the stock steelies until i get more moolah for an alignment. 70 dollars at american tires. or just shop around for other prices.

·
scikotics
1,005 Posts
I'd check and make sure they were balanced properly when they put on the tires. The best is spin balance. I had a set of tires that were defective one time (sort of out of round ) they couldn't balance them. But when they were installed they bubble balanced them and didn't catch the prob. I took them to a friend he did a spin balance and found the problem. If they are not new tires and no problem until you put on new rims then it could be the rims are bad. However the shaking or bouncing at higher speeds is usualy balance or frontend problems. (ie; Tie rods ect.) Usualy if it is alingment it will pull to one side or another. If it's the toe (in or out) you will only know by tire wear unless it's real bad then you might be able to see it or hear tire squeal. My bet would be improper balance. I've been known to be wrong on these things though. (lol...my wife says alot :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
69 Posts
IF you were not having this problem with the stock wheels then my guess is you need hubcentric adapters. Usualy aftermarket wheels come with a hub bore of 73mm the xB has a 56.1mm hub. You will need an adaptor for the wheel - usually the manufacturer/seller will provide it when you buy the wheels.
I can't believe that it is alignment if you had no problem before. If is is a balance problem, take them back and ask for them to be checked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Put hubcentric rings in. and where ever you go have them rebalance them..if you still have the problem it is something with the tire..

·
OG Member
1,635 Posts
I had that same prob when I took my steelies off and put on 18's with 215/35R18. I went to Americas Tire redid the balance and the prob went away. The tire shop that I went to balanced it diff. Now I keep it about 80/85 on the freeway and no shaking.

·
bB Squad son!
678 Posts
SHOOBOX said:
IF you were not having this problem with the stock wheels then my guess is you need hubcentric adapters. Usualy aftermarket wheels come with a hub bore of 73mm the xB has a 56.1mm hub. You will need an adaptor for the wheel - usually the manufacturer/seller will provide it when you buy the wheels.
I can't believe that it is alignment if you had no problem before. If is is a balance problem, take them back and ask for them to be checked.
I agree with Hubcentric rings. That's usually the problem that people tend to overlook. Plus this is a cheap way to find out if this is why you're having this rattling issue rather than getting another alignment or tire balance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I bought the rims/tires from the dealer so maybe I should go back there and get them to check them. I really do not want to go back to the dealer because its a PIA! I figured the they were not balanced right anyway, I am glad though for everyone's input though. If I do need the rings, shouldn't the dealer have put them on when I bought the rims?

·
Registered
69 Posts
drac151db said:
Well I bought the rims/tires from the dealer so maybe I should go back there and get them to check them. I really do not want to go back to the dealer because its a PIA! I figured the they were not balanced right anyway, I am glad though for everyone's input though. If I do need the rings, shouldn't the dealer have put them on when I bought the rims?
Yes, they should have but have them check.
I also made a mistake when I typed my message yesterday. The hub is 54.1 NOT 56.1mm, I must still have MINI on the brain. But surley the dealer will know this.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just to let everyone know, I took the box to the dealer today and they rebalanced one of the rims and the problem went away. Now my box rides as smooth as cadillac, :)

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I guess I do need to take mine in.

·
Registered
611 Posts
hayalex6 said:
yeah shaking wheels = not properly balanced.
i agree, have whoever balanced your wheels. balance them again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts