Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow XB'rs.

I live in the Beaumont area of Texas and I recently purchased a used 06' Scion XB Black Sand Pearl. This is my first Scion to own, but I've been a fan since '05.

I am not really a mechanically gifted person. I know very little about proper terminology and maintenance, but I love to learn.

My car has a few modifications to it: (done by previous owner)

-Injen cold air intake
-Lowered
-Replacement white light covers in back
-Strobes in front/back lights
-Various carbon fiber vinyl stickers on different places
-Replacement grill in front with HID's

I am looking forward to getting to know some of you and offering my thoughts on things. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Loving the WoW reference (if indeed it is a WoW reference). I'm new to the site and learning too, but the DIY section here is amazing! I'd be interested to see how your mods go, since i'm looking at it from the same perspective!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey there! I bought my 05 Saturday and its black sand pearl also, but it had a set of gold and red pin stripes on it soi spent today taking them off. I am in love with mine and I can say now barring a complete disater I will never get rid of it. Something else to mention, this XB was last owned in Texas :p

·
Registered
841 Posts
Welcome to the site!
I live in the Houston area, so if you ever need a hand with mods, feel free to give me a shout. I'd be more than happy to help. I know it's a bit of a drive, but I thought I'd throw out the offer anyway.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Unfortunately, I am WAY too close! Here's a map shot from yesterday evening. I live south of Magnolia, just east of Stagecoach on the map.

This is what I see coming home in the evening. Those aren't clouds. It's all smoke. Scary!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh, man, that is NOT good... You guys haven't had any rain since, what...May?

As a former wildland firefighter I look at the conditions down your way and just cross my fingers for you guys... Which direction are your prevailing winds?

·
Registered
841 Posts
The winds have been out of the north lately, which has been driving the fires south of 1488. I'm only a few miles southeast from the fires.
Unfortunately for me, the winds are supposed to switch out of the northwest today, which pushes everything back towards me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Winds are fickle indeed. You have all the important stuff boxed and ready to go? Hopefully you won't have to go, but it makes all the difference having pics and papers after the fact. Even slurry bombers can do damage to structures when attacking the flame front or laying a line.

I wish you all luck, man...

·
Registered
841 Posts
I've got papers in a filing cabinet, my guitars are in their cases, and my rig is on casters. I can get both Bs out, but I'm probably going to lose the Camaro if the house gets hit. It's in pieces right now, so moving it in a short amount of time would not be easy. On top of that, I'm not sure where I'd take it.
The dog and my snakes would be easily moved wherever I go, but I'd have to abandon the fish tank.
I guess what I take all depends on how much warning we have. They did ask a few subdivisions west of Stagecoach to voluntarily evacuate a few nights ago, but they have since let those neighborhoods come back. There are, however, many neighborhoods to the northwest that have been evacuated for a while now.
Man, what I wouldn't give for some heavy rain! Hell, I'd even tolerate a hurricane or two if it would just drop some water for a change.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Watch what you wish for...:) Texas is a state of extremes. Hate to see you go out of the frying pan and into the flood...

It's good you've got a plan. Seconds count in an evac, especially for you guys down in oak and scrub country, where the fires burn hot and move fast.

I'll keep my fingers crossed...

---------- Post added 09-09-2011 at 10:20 AM ----------

Also, in case you're interested, here's a link to the inciweb page about the Riley Road fire that's knocking at your back door:
www dot inciweb dot org/incident/2614/

It'll have the most current updates and tactics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts