Scion xB Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
sure! ummmm...shoot me a pm when you get a chance to remind me....Im off to work right now, so I'll send you the CAD 3d file and the 3d print file (assuming I still have it).

I know for our 3D printer we had to put the piece diagonally on the printer to make it fit, just an fyi....also, takes aboout 18hours per handle....1 handle at a time...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know what kind he's talking about. They're spring loaded and are always in the "up" position flush with the headliner, until you grab them or put weight on them, then they are perpendicular with the headliner.

Here's 2 options.

h t t p : / / h e m i p o w e . i p o w e r . c o m / G R A B . j p g

h t t p : / / m e d i a . c a r a n d d r i v e r . c o m / i m a g e s / 0 9 q 3 / 2 9 1 1 5 4 / 2 0 1 0 - b m w - 7 6 0 l i - a l c a n t a r a - h e a d l i n e r - a n d - g r a b - h a n d l e - p h o t o - 2 9 1 1 8 3 - s - 1 2 8 0 x 7 8 2 . j p g

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm actually JUST doing that now. Mine were fabric covered then rubber coated/sprayed black and now I'm doing yellow to match my RS2.0 Solar Yellow. I just put the first two coats on today using Duplicolor Engine Enamel Ceramic because it holds up better than the acrylic/vinyl spray, plus it's a better yellow shade. I'll put another couple light coats on them then 1 or 2 heavy to give them a nice coating and hit them with 600 grit to take out any imperfections. Oh, before I painted them initially, I hit them with a 180grit to rough them up a bit. After the yellow is smoothed to my perfection I'm going to hit them with Duplicolor clear coat enamel to protect them further. A lot of people that have painted theirs mentioned it chips especially the more you use them (grabbing them all of the time) Which fortunately I do not do often. After I finish painting and coating them I have yellow LED's I'm going to mount in them. I did have 4" cold cathodes but those keep breaking as people grab my handles unknowingly . I'll be sure to take step by step pics and then post them when I have them installed again. There's a decent hurricane hitting starting tomorrow night into like Wednesday (I'm in MD) so I'll be laying low until then, maybe do some painting in the garage while it blows over, we'll see...

·
Crunchy PB on my TOAST!!!
66 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to wrap mine with colored Carbon Kevlar. I'm in that boat as well with the Hurricane coming, and will probably be going home around lunch. Should get some more work done on the System enclosure too, while I'm out there in the garage. Will post pictures showing progress and procedure along the way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've taken a couple of pictures so far. 2 handles are stripped of the rubber coating and black paint and repainted yellow. The other two just got their second coat of yellow, 3 more coats to go (I do a little at a time for a nice even look) After that I'll figure out where to put the yellow LEDs then glue or some other way mount them into place and take pics too. Next will be the wiring up to the car and deciding on whether to put them to their own switch or wire'm to the door so when the door is open /dome's on, they're on.

When the cathodes were in, I hooked them up to the doors and they even dimmed as the dome dimmed once the doors were closed, it was pretty cool.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Scion xB Automatic
317 Posts
Just now saw this thread... Damn those are sexy! I know this is a 10 year old thread and @Waldo hasn't been on here in over half a decade, but would love to get a copy of the 3D print file(s). Otherwise I may just have to design my own as well...

There were also no new posts this morning. Everyone's probably gearing up for turkey day...

Side note, CAD-wise... Has anyone ever gotten a copy of the original CAD files Toyota used to make our beloved toasters? I realize they're proprietary info and are probably never ever going to be released to the general public, but since these were discontinued, it suuuure would be nice... Anyone good buddies with a Toyota engineer or anything? :D

21 - 36 of 36 Posts