Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MONROE now has Sensatracs specifically for the xB:

No idea how these compare to the Echo Sensatracs we have been using, but I'm sure that someone will give them a try, eh?

Front Struts: 72245
Rear Shocks: 5601

·
HORNBLASTER
446 Posts
Well my echo struts are ride so much better than the stock shot shocks so im sure the new xb shocks will be just as good:D

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Question is, are they built to the xB OEM specs ( I think they are ) or do they also come with the 1/2" lower mount like on the struts for the Echo?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suspect the front struts will have the OEM sizing and spring platform mounting position - anything else and they would specifically spell it out as they would not meet specs as a replacement part.

I do have a question in to Monroe about specific differences between the 5987 and 5601 rear shock specs. If I get any decent info, I'll post it up here...

Tom

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Naw, just a tired and retired engineer. :D

·
Banned
126 Posts
So has anyone road tested these front stuts to see if they ride as nice as the rear shocks did?

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you use struts and shocks that are made for a stock height xb and your car is lowered you will compress the strut and shock by the amount that the car is lowered, shocks are already preloaded so when you install lowering springs you perload the shocks even more causing a rough ride. Thats why your ride is rough with stock shocks and lowered springs. If you buy a shock that is a bit shorter it isn't preloaded as much and will give you a better ride. BUT a shorter shock is usually made for a lighter vehicle so you ride could become "bouncy" and your car could sit lower because the preload weight is greater than the vehicle weight rating for that shock/strut. I hope this helps some...

·
Banned
126 Posts
If you use struts and shocks that are made for a stock height xb and your car is lowered you will compress the strut and shock by the amount that the car is lowered, shocks are already preloaded so when you install lowering springs you preload the shocks even more causing a rough ride. Thats why your ride is rough with stock shocks and lowered springs.
:confused: The xBs ride rough on stock shocks because the valving is wrong on them. They do not compress easy enough when you hit a bump. They transfer the bump to the car with great force instead of allowing the suspension to compress and absorb it. This is where the Monroes shine. Monroe got the valving right so the ride is still controled but not harsh. I cannot wait to get some Monroe front struts on my xB.:D

·
Registered
130 Posts
anyone have any updated suggestions on what i should be looking for. our company just left and the dude asked me why i did not take the opition of rear shocks when i bought my box. well, now i see that stock shocks suck. i'm ready to go buy some good ones, is monroe 5601 sensa-trac still the best

·
Registered
937 Posts
ya, these are stock replacements. i would still say get the echo struts if possible, especially if you're lowered. i'm running the echo shocks in the rear and will be adding the front ones soon

·
Registered
130 Posts
I do have a question in to Monroe about specific differences between the 5987 and 5601 rear shock specs. If I get any decent info, I'll post it up here...

Tom[/QUOTE]

tomas, what's the word, any more info, thanks. retired? me too, nice, ain't it. so what do you think - echo stock or 5601's?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never did get any sort of answer from the to my written inquiry to the manufacturer on that. :(

Retired 'cause I had to, so I dipped into my retirement funds much earlier than I intended, but other than that, it's fine. :)

My box is running the Echo rear shocks, and for MY use of it they work excellently. I do not know anything about the new ones intended specifically for the xB, but I expect they are probably between the OEM and Echo in stiffness.

Take care,

·
Registered
51 Posts
ya, these are stock replacements. i would still say get the echo struts if possible, especially if you're lowered. i'm running the echo shocks in the rear and will be adding the front ones soon
Do you mean echo like a Toyata Echo or is echo a brand of shocks. I just ordered a set of Eibach lowering springs F/R 2.0/2.0 and want to upgrade the rear shocks for now. Would these be the best shocks for a 2" drop? and where can I find them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
ocxb is right your shocks do seem to get preloaded because of the lowering spring! and my stock are already worn out so any good sugestions for that!?

·
Registered
570 Posts
ocxb is right your shocks do seem to get preloaded because of the lowering spring! and my stock are already worn out so any good sugestions for that!?
If your lowered I'd get the monroe's I know they'll lower you a bit more and smooth out the ride some, on the flip side to that I already scrape on most driveways and I can barely make it up and down my driveway (I am on a hill and my carport is on top of my garage so the driveway is as high and as long as the garage) I have to back down at an angle to barely scrape, if I go any lower I'd never make it up or down. Can you say "AIR BAGS"

·
Registered
937 Posts
Do you mean echo like a Toyata Echo or is echo a brand of shocks. I just ordered a set of Eibach lowering springs F/R 2.0/2.0 and want to upgrade the rear shocks for now. Would these be the best shocks for a 2" drop? and where can I find them.
i mean get the monroe struts that are for a 2002 toyota echo. they are 1" shorter than a stock xb strut, thus giving you more travel at a lower stance and less preloading.

i just called kragen auto parts, and they can have them in store same day for 62$ each. :eek:

·
Part-Time Alkoholik
86 Posts
So..dumb question here...do I have to change the strut mount to Toyota echo mounts also to get the "extra drop" from the Monroe struts for a 2002 Toyota Echo? Or can I keep the xB mount? I gotta 2005 BTW. Just wanna get it right. Not "well-funded".:(

·
Registered
77 Posts
Glad this is alive again. I think I'm lowered about 1-1.5, would I buy the Monroe for the 02 Echo as well? And will new rear shocks help with me bottoming out?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.