Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DTRAIN619 said:
Oooohhhhh, Ahhhhhh!!!!!!!

Looks good, how much sanding did you have to do?

Thanks. Actually, not a whole lot of sanding. I sanded the cover down when I first started. I used some 800 grit paper so I wouldn't put any scratches in the plastic. I then sprayed it with primer, then gave it a once over with the 800 again. Then about 3 coats of the base coat (silver) for good coverage. Again the once over with the 800. Then I started with the final color, which is actually Red Metalcast paint. I put a total of 10 coats of the red on to get it the color that it is. If you make sure that the surface is very clean in between each coat, very little sanding is required. After the red, I put the lettering on it, and then applied 4 coats of clear. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Ghosthunter said:
Thanks. Actually, not a whole lot of sanding. I sanded the cover down when I first started. I used some 800 grit paper so I wouldn't put any scratches in the plastic. I then sprayed it with primer, then gave it a once over with the 800 again. Then about 3 coats of the base coat (silver) for good coverage. Again the once over with the 800. Then I started with the final color, which is actually Red Metalcast paint. I put a total of 10 coats of the red on to get it the color that it is. If you make sure that the surface is very clean in between each coat, very little sanding is required. After the red, I put the lettering on it, and then applied 4 coats of clear. :cool:
Nice! BTW, I'll be shipping my cover to you!!

J/K!!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
haha i just ordered the chrome overlay from randode also! and a few other things. But Yay! Can't wait. going to paint my engine cover then get the overlay on and it will be my first mod under the hood.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
What kind of paint are you guys using for all of the plastic pieces?

Looks like something I'll be doing this weekend.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Kartel (Mike) let me in on a Duplicolor. It's what he used on his insides.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sweet. Good luck with the painting. Post pics when it's finished. I also ordered the Chrome rear hatch overlays from them. I also made my own Chrome hood prop overlay. It looks much better than the stock finish.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hayalex6 said:
What kind of paint are you guys using for all of the plastic pieces?

Looks like something I'll be doing this weekend.

I actually used Metalcast paint by Duplicolor on my engine cover. I used the Red along with the silver basecoat that they have for the metalcast paint. I bought it at the local parts store.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I got a few things from him.. lol Can't wait to get them. I'm hoping to have a few things on before the meet saturday.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ghosthunter said:

dude if you make mine in BSP, ill pay for shipping both ways, paint and time.

·
Registered
2004 Scion xB RS 1.0 #788
2,912 Posts
This is an old thread. He doesn't even have that engine cover anymore. He has a polished aluminum one or something like that....all i know is it's shiny and says injen on it. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.