Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the original owner of a non-descript 2005 silver metallic (there's more than a few of those around...) ToasterMobile xB. The only distinguishing feature is a black Yakima Q-tower roof-rack with low-profile in-between basket and twin bike racks ~ not a bright color, or flashy rear spoiler/visor, dramatic lowering, etc.

At 245,000 miles (mostly highway - that's the secret), the interior is still pristine (seat covers !), and the exterior is still in great shape. Still drives and handles almost like new - but as I'm approaching geezer-hood, that ride is starting to feel a bit stiff (!).

All around, best car I've ever had - better that the Mercury Sable and Crown Victoria road-cruisers I've owned.

Sadly, around 240,000 miles ~ though a bit tired, it still runs really great ~ for some odd reason, I started leaving the radiator cap off when checking, then driving at 75 mph, as usual, up the hill. Naturally a leak developed from the head or head gasket into the radiator juice, and it started boiling over, on hot days going up hill, at 75, or down the hill 30 miles to Sacramento... It seemed to get worse the more often I left the radiator cap off (huh !?). Those things hide themselves, wherever you put them, and I've lost a couple of them going down the road...

I discovered my problem: the cap is semi-hidden underneath the cross-bar that holds the front grille & etc., and for some reason, I just started to be more careless about making sure that I had put it back on before I drove off. Note to all ToasterMobile owners: Watch that radiator cap ! Drill a hole in the outer "finger-wings" of the cap, and run a string or wire through it, tied to something else under the hood - and start leaving it hanging out in front of the grille when you remove it - to remind you to put it back on before you shut the hood ! I was hoping for 300,000 miles before I had to overhaul, but, sadly, not to be...

I cannot find anything comparable, roomier, better riding, with fewer electronic gizmos, nor cheaper than doing an engine overhaul. I guess I'll ride it 'till it dies and the wheels fall off !

·
Registered
2005 Scion xB Gen 1
10 Posts
I'm the original owner of a non-descript 2005 silver metallic (there's more than a few of those around...) ToasterMobile xB. The only distinguishing feature is a black Yakima Q-tower roof-rack with low-profile in-between basket and twin bike racks ~ not a bright color, or flashy rear spoiler/visor, dramatic lowering, etc.

At 245,000 miles (mostly highway - that's the secret), the interior is still pristine (seat covers !), and the exterior is still in great shape. Still drives and handles almost like new - but as I'm approaching geezer-hood, that ride is starting to feel a bit stiff (!).

All around, best car I've ever had - better that the Mercury Sable and Crown Victoria road-cruisers I've owned.

Sadly, around 240,000 miles ~ though a bit tired, it still runs really great ~ for some odd reason, I started leaving the radiator cap off when checking, then driving at 75 mph, as usual, up the hill. Naturally a leak developed from the head or head gasket into the radiator juice, and it started boiling over, on hot days going up hill, at 75, or down the hill 30 miles to Sacramento... It seemed to get worse the more often I left the radiator cap off (huh !?). Those things hide themselves, wherever you put them, and I've lost a couple of them going down the road...

I discovered my problem: the cap is semi-hidden underneath the cross-bar that holds the front grille & etc., and for some reason, I just started to be more careless about making sure that I had put it back on before I drove off. Note to all ToasterMobile owners: Watch that radiator cap ! Drill a hole in the outer "finger-wings" of the cap, and run a string or wire through it, tied to something else under the hood - and start leaving it hanging out in front of the grille when you remove it - to remind you to put it back on before you shut the hood ! I was hoping for 300,000 miles before I had to overhaul, but, sadly, not to be...

I cannot find anything comparable, roomier, better riding, with fewer electronic gizmos, nor cheaper than doing an engine overhaul. I guess I'll ride it 'till it dies and the wheels fall off !
I'm about same mileage on mine too and it runs like a champ and is clean in and out. The 300k mark I feel is possible! As long as I don't leave the radiator cap off ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts