Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
As you will notice here, most owners keep these cars for a long time. I got both of mine new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good. Bought this to replace my gfs pos car. So far I like it. Out of curiosity, on the air box, above the air filter, what is it? Looks like a filter that is non removable.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I know what you are talking about, but can’t remember now what it’s called.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sounds like you're talking about a carbon filter in the air intake. I haven't had the stock air intake on my car in 13 years so I don't really remember if it has one or not. If there is a carbon filter there, it's there for emission reasons. It's there to absorb gas fumes flowing back out through the intake when you turn off the car. Carbon filters aren't replaceable and don't need to be replaced. And they don't cause much air restriction to reduce MPG or HP.

·
Old School xB Builder
1,570 Posts
Welcome!

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added 12-05-2019 at 08:50 AM ----------

You finally figured out where the cool kids hang out.....

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

Reactions: se-r_dad

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
913 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Chrisdesil is on target, the device is a Vacuum Switching Valve (VSV). It also collects fumes from the EVAP system to prevent release into the atmosphere. No need to replace unless it is defective. But be sure the rubber hoses are attached tight and are not hard or brittle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts