Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a second vehicle so my Miata can finally stop having daily duties.

After lots of research I think an xB is perfect for me. I also love that, like the Miata, there is a great community around it!

Anyway, there is a 2012 base that is local to me and listed for $5000. It has 132,000 miles. I drove it last night and it seems pretty tight mechanically (engine ticks over nicely, it shifts smoothly, although the body is a bit rough).

BUT - and to me this is a big but - it has a rebuilt title.

The seller (small highly rated local dealer) was very upfront and said it was a front drivers side impact as well as a slight sideswipe. He said the damage was professionally repaired, although he has no documentation…

In our back and forth he’s come down to $4,200 cash.

My 'buyer beware' sense is telling me not to pursue it. But if I can get into it for way less than I was planning to spend, I would have some abilityto fix things down the road..

Just curious to see what you all would think about this if you were in my shoes.

Thank you!

·
Old School xB Builder
1,712 Posts
I'm not sure on the rebuilt title thing. Not sure how that works were you are but I know where I am in my state if it has a salvage or rebuilt title is pretty much worthless. You can pick Scion xB he's out here in South Carolina all day long with a good title four between 5000 and $6,000 for a second gen. First Gen Xbs you can pick up for between $2500-4500.

It's also going to depend on why the title was salvaged in the first place. If for instance they had a big huge car stereo system in there and it got broken into and stolen, I have seen them total Vehicles out for that reason alone. which there was no structural damage or a wreck or accident so the vehicle is structurally sound. however they just had more audio equipment in it than the vehicle is worth.

My recommendation would be to pull a Carfax report to see what the initial accident report or issue was. A lot of second hand Car Sales places will buy them at the auto auction with salvage title for pennies on the dollar and then turn around and half-ass the repairs and try to mark them up to make a huge profit.

Sent from my pimped out xB

Reactions: blackeyedsusan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure on the rebuilt title thing. Not sure how that works were you are but I know where I am in my state if it has a salvage or rebuilt title is pretty much worthless. You can pick Scion xB he's out here in South Carolina all day long with a good title four between 5000 and $6,000 for a second gen. First Gen Xbs you can pick up for between $2500-4500.

Okay thanks! Yeah I’m in AR and while I can get it insured with that title, obviously resale will suffer. But the thing is I don’t intend to sell it, just drive it into the ground for however long it has left.

I have searched and searched and I don’t see any xBs within a couple hundred miles of me at anywhere near this price. And trying to travel to bring one here isn’t really feasible unfortunately.

·
Old School xB Builder
1,712 Posts
Do yourself a favor go spend the 10 bucks or whatever it cost for the carfax report. If you have no intent on reselling it and you feel that it is a good deal by all means by it. They are great cars I have never owned a second generation. I have had 11 first gens. I normally buy them customize them to the point that I get bored with them and then start over with a different one. I've been involved in the Scion world since the beginning of 2004.

Reactions: wagonbldr

·
Registered
20 Posts
I second getting the car fax!! If you’re in the market you can get a monthly subscription. My last xB got in a fender bender- caused some cosmetic damage to the bumper- but if I wanted to get insurance money for it, it would get a salvage title, so I didn’t pursue it. Maybe it’s similar? You say the body is beat up, but they’ve allegedly repaired it? I’d be worried about frame damage, not having air bags, and who knows what else.

They are really great cars and they’ll last forever, but with that being said, I’ve pillaged Scions at the junkyard before, I get inside and it’s like wtf happened in here?!?

if something is telling you it’s not right, go with your gut. It’s not a bad price, but the dealer had to mark it up to profit. From a private seller, the same car might be 2k.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts