Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, a few months back I remember reading a thread about someone who had bought a few yards of carbon fiber and wrapped their headliner in it (maybe I'm hallucinating?). I'm thinking of doing mine in CF or Suede, but I've got a few questions.

First off, how much fabric do I need? What width so it's seamless?

Where can I get the rolls of carbon fiber/suede that are wide enough for this application?

How much sewing would it take to do this myself?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I found a place that appears to have CF pretty cheap and the width is 54", which should be wide enough. (My quick measure was ~51" on the inside, so that gives a bit of overlap) $22 per yard on roll or $25 per cut yard. They carry it in color too. :)
http://www.glfi.com/vinylbook_carbonfiber.htm

·
Registered
16 Posts
check out scionlife...there have been some posts there about using carbon fiber and difficulty getting it to adhere when using it as a headliner.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Ain't too Funk to Druck.
17,243 Posts
LOL PCH. true that. normal people freak out ridin in the massacre box. but yeah black vinyl and leather would be sexy and cheaper. but if you're into CF then go for it its' your xbizzle.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Hi guys, a few months back I remember reading a thread about someone who had bought a few yards of carbon fiber and wrapped their headliner in it (maybe I'm hallucinating?). I'm thinking of doing mine in CF or Suede, but I've got a few questions.

First off, how much fabric do I need? What width so it's seamless?

Where can I get the rolls of carbon fiber/suede that are wide enough for this application?

How much sewing would it take to do this myself?

Thanks
No sewing required. Just use a really strong glue that is high heat/high resistance. I used this glue with really good results http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=302 bought from www.yourautotrim.com The only thing is that it does require a compressor/spray gun set up. I bought a $20 spray gun from the autoparts and it worked really well. People do use aerosol glue bought from home depot with good results, but I'm not sure exactly what type works the best. Most importantly look for something that is high heat/high resistance.

That thread you linked has a boat load of info. read up, and give it a shot!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No sewing required. Just use a really strong glue that is high heat/high resistance. I used this glue with really good results http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=302 bought from www.yourautotrim.com The only thing is that it does require a compressor/spray gun set up. I bought a $20 spray gun from the autoparts and it worked really well. People do use aerosol glue bought from home depot with good results, but I'm not sure exactly what type works the best. Most importantly look for something that is high heat/high resistance.

That thread you linked has a boat load of info. read up, and give it a shot!

Thanks!

Ketchup_xb: You have one totally BAMF interior. The black vinyl does look nice, I'll have to think about it. :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Where could/should I go in order to get a quality headliner in my box? Like in velour or twead...I know what you're all thinking, but I'm Mexican and hella barrio so twead and velour while stereotypical suits me.

·
Registered
154 Posts
LOL where are you from? I'm from Arcadia, VA 3rd highest murder rate in teh country when I lived there. I don't know why everybody was super nice.

·
Registered
229 Posts
no prob, n yeah i know watchu mean, right now all my interior is blue and white but i was thinking of mixing it up, any suggestions such as something you guys haven't seen but would like to see done?
I was also thinking making a stars headliner using some fiberoptics but i dont how hard that might be

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.