Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Wow that looks awesome. If you don't mind me asking how much did it put you back and I assume shipping was not that big of a problem.

Looks awesome!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow that looks awesome. If you don't mind me asking how much did it put you back and I assume shipping was not that big of a problem.

Looks awesome!
Just PM Stylis on this board for a price. He is Precision Muffler. He'll take good care of you!!! Excellent customer service!! And yes this was shipped to me. It's a complete 2.25" header back bolt on system.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Awesome thanks man. What does it sound like on the highways at constant higher rpms? And do you like the second resonator that much more or was it a waste?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome thanks man. What does it sound like on the highways at constant higher rpms? And do you like the second resonator that much more or was it a waste?
It doesn't have a loud drone at freeway speeds if that's what your asking. It has a nice tone but not overwhelming. The second resonator was recommended as away to keep the tone lower (less "honda" if you know what I mean) and no it was not a waste. I had a MagnaFlow Cat-Back system before and it got annoying after a while. So when I decided to "fix" that problem and go with a complete header-back system, Stylis over at Precision Muffler recommended the second small resonator. He has done extensive testing of the flow of this system with both the single resonator & double resonator and you don't really loose much flow. Plus, these aren't really resonator's but rather glasspacks. He puts them in "backwards" (fins facing back rather than front) which helps the flow and still cuts down on the db level. I can tell you that this is a VERY GOOD system. Easy to install and it seems very well balanced, torque wise, with the engine and other performance mods I have. I also have a short ram intake, lightweight pulley and DC Header. This I/H/E/P combo is great. Plus it just makes more sense that if you have mods like I/H why would you just do a cat-back or even worse a axle-back, so the flow is great coming in, then great going out till it gets to the end of the header, then gets pinched by the stock exhaust & cat then get better flow after that? I feel it gives the engine better performance over a cat-back system and lets face it the only reason to do a axle back is for sound NOT performance.Not to mention this system sounds much better than both of them as well. The best part about this system is that it's not much more than a cat-back system and makes a lot more sense from a performance standpoint.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Dear Pit, I am glad to hear your response on the magnaflow. I had one put on my dodge dakotta, found it rather obnoxious and swapped it out for a flowmaster. Back to the xb, the stats on adding a magnaflow say about 4hp gain, do you think the setup you went to gives more than that? And if so, how much (hp)? Also, Many say gas mileage should improve but others say they feel more power available, makes them want to use it, and the mileage ends up not really improving. Have you evaluated what your mileage was before and what it is now? Thanx, rbarrett

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dear Pit, I am glad to hear your response on the magnaflow. I had one put on my dodge dakotta, found it rather obnoxious and swapped it out for a flowmaster. Back to the xb, the stats on adding a magnaflow say about 4hp gain, do you think the setup you went to gives more than that? And if so, how much (hp)? Also, Many say gas mileage should improve but others say they feel more power available, makes them want to use it, and the mileage ends up not really improving. Have you evaluated what your mileage was before and what it is now? Thanx, rbarrett
As far as actual HP gain unless you dyno this I have no idea. You might want to contact Stylis on this board he's the one that did the system and maybe he has dyno'd it. Well I agree that MPG would increase however you bring up a good point. Why increase the HP if you ain't gonna use it. As far as my Milage before, I drive 95% city miles and averaged 28 MPG. I have a Scan Guage II, which helps a lot with figures. I haven't had the new header back system an entire tank yet but if your interested I'll PM you the results. But I have a feeling it'll be less due to a rather heavy right foot :D

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Forget the pm just post it up. I am sure that many would be intrested in these figures.

I was intrigued by one of the figures of 4 hp. If you can find the tuner performance report magazine there are some graphs that they did on axle back and cat back exhaust. The gains were more noticeable in the lower rpm range which I like better, not the peak.

If you cant find it I will scan and email it to you, because the pics are too detailed to post up here with the resolution needed and the limitations.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Cool, keep me posted, i am still evaluating some things, i will be tinting...getting rims...a crank shaft pully first. Then, gotta get a bike rack before summer and (pump up the volume) sterio. After that, i will get a K&N for sure and hopefully have a decision on where i'm going with exhaust. So, i'm trying to see all the info and opinions that are out there.

·
Registered
657 Posts
rbarrett, already PMed you back. This system was dynoed back in 2003. The scion xA/xB has 94hp to the wheels stock. With this system we got a dyno result of 101hp to the wheels. This was on my xB way back in the day, and this was with 18inch heavy wheels on it too. :D

·
Registered
657 Posts
I love the look of the rolled tip. Is the entire system stainless steel? Also, did you do any tuning when it was dynoed? I was wondering if the car started to run lean. Does it still run well on 87 octane?
Thanks,
SG
The entire system is not all stainless steel, it uses aluminized pipe. Its still great metal. No tuning can be done with a stock xB, there wasn't even a turbo kit available in the US back then. :D Actually I was still using 87 octane back then too. The car should never run too lean anyway with the VVTI working its magic, the cat is still there so there is no check engine light.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.