Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked the experts at Patterntek to make me a dark wood pattern for my interior and they came through with flying colors. It was exactly what I asked for, all black and gray burlwood.

I highly recommend them to anyone that wants to change up their interior, they have multiple patterns and any color you can imagine, including all the factory Scion colors.

www.patterntek.com

Pics:

I even had them do the domelight, i just need to ...um...figure out what I did with the rest of the parts so I can install it.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Looks pretty cool!

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
How is it done? Kinda like marblelized paint?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm gonna quote Paul from Patterntek on this:

The pattern itself, whatever the pattern may be (straight-grain wood, marble, snakeskin, burl wood, carbon fiber, or brushed aluminum) is printed on a thin, water-soluble film. We cut a piece of the film that will be big enough to envelope the part in question, then lay the film on the surface of water floating in a specialized current controlled stainless steel tank. An ink release prep chemical is sprayed on the film that dissolves the film, leaving just the ink pattern floating on the surface of the water. Then the part is dipped in the water slowly, and it picks up the pattern, much like an Easter egg and permanantly becomes the surfaces new look. The last step is to spray a high gloss clear coat on the part to give it depth and shine. Now you are left with a part that looks like it came from the factory in a wood grain, carbon fiber, or whatever finish you choose. No appreciable thickness is added to the part. There is no film to peel off. Did you know this is the same process used by the OEMs right now to achieve the wood grain and carbon fiber finishes in their vehicles?
They also sanblasted off all my old crappy spray paint....lol.

·
Floating Around Somewhere
11,800 Posts
Nice Jon -- Very nice.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't disclose how much I paid for everything as it is part of a sponsorship.

But most of you who know me know I won't endorse products or companies I don't completely believe in. Hell, I've sent free products back because they sucked and I didn't want to attach my name to them.......lol

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Wow Jon, that's friggin' awesome. When are we gonna see your Box on a magazine cover...it's ready!

·
Registered
974 Posts
DAMN!

I met you at the All Scion Show 3.0 last year. I'm the guy with the sliding ragtop and I had those DEEP steelies on my ride if you remember that.

Anyways.

I thought your xB was one of the best ones there and I thought it deserved more recognition than it got. Now you are just raising that bar even higher.

I've been looking for something like this for a long time. I'll have to talk to them about doing some work on my xB and on my wifes Focus.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Well, alright, don't tell us how much YOU paid for it. Tell us how much the shop would charge for it to us.....regular joes. I don't wanna take all the time and effort to snap pics, upload them on my computer, send them to those guys, and end up with a pricetag of like 2k to have it done. If it's 2k, I guess it's 2k, but know what I mean?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here ya go, I'm cutting and pasting:
The PatternTek process explained...

We first start by sanding the part in question till its smooth. Next we base coat prime, base coat paint, chemical prep, *dip, wash, dry, clear coat, wet sand, polish, bubble wrap and mail.

*Sure but how do you get the ink pattern on the part, Is the ink pattern vynil, paint or what?

None of the above... The pattern itself, whatever the pattern may be (straight-grain wood, marble, snakeskin, burl wood, carbon fiber, or brushed aluminum) is printed on a thin, water-soluble film. We cut a piece of the film that will be big enough to envelope the part in question, then lay the film on the surface of water floating in a specialized current controlled stainless steel tank. An ink release prep chemical is sprayed on the film that dissolves the film, leaving just the ink pattern floating on the surface of the water. Then the part is dipped in the water slowly, and it picks up the pattern, much like an Easter egg and permanantly becomes the surfaces new look. The last step is to spray a high gloss clear coat on the part to give it depth and shine. Now you are left with a part that looks like it came from the factory in a wood grain, carbon fiber, or whatever finish you choose. No appreciable thickness is added to the part. There is no film to peel off. Did you know this is the same process used by the OEMs right now to achieve the wood grain and carbon fiber finishes in their vehicles.

Procedure / How to get your kit...
Since we have OEM Core Dash kits in stock all you need to do is pay for the kit and core charge. We then prepare and dip one of the kits we have in stock then ship to you. That is when you install our kit and return your OEM core kit to us for full refund of the core charge. This enables you to not be without your parts for any amount of time. If we do not have the core part in stock yet, such as grab handles or pillars, just ship those parts from your car and you'll have them back in 10-15 business days perfectly matched to the exsisting core kit you have or are buying.

Kit & what it includes / core parts we have in stock:

Remember, if you want to leave off some parts, it will bring down the price. And the core charge as well goes down because Im shipping you less core parts.

XB Kit $329.00 plus tax ...includes :
(Paint Match with no Pattern $309 plus tax)
1 Center Dash (Either just the silver edges dipped or the whole dash, same price)
1 Shifter Bezel Ring
2 Front Window switch plates
2 Rear window switch plates (currently not inventoried parts but is part of kit cost...Please send back to us along with OEM parts and we will mail these back to you within 10 business days for free)

For an extra $10 >> We will dip the steering wheel control plate covers and the knobs on the dash to match your kit. (currently not inventoried parts...Please send back to us along with OEM parts and we will mail these back to you within 10 business days)

For an extra $79 >> OEM Scion Shift knobs to match your dash kit.

We accept check, money order and Pay Pal.

Want to do Parts we do not currently have in stock... :
If you want to do your OEM non painted pillars, grab handles or any other parts we do not currently carry, you would only have to be without them for 10-15 business days and that is a true amount of time you'd be without them, no longer.

**If the parts you're sending have been painted or enhanced in any coating that will force us to strip the parts, it may take longer to complete.

***Extra fee may be incurred for excess multiple parts already painted or coated by you that are sent to us for Patterntek dipping or OEM paint mathced.

Parts to match your kit and Prices, soon to be available to the public :
Grab Handles
Speedometer
Engine Covers
Pillars
Pillar Guage Pods and more......

Core Charge :
Core charge is $175, unless local to South Florida. The core charge is fully refundable see below.

PatternTek Core Exchange Policy

As a courtesy to our customers, King Pin Enterprises Inc has purchased certain models of cores for your convenience. In order for this program to benefit our customers we must ask that the cores be received within 2 weeks of the date shipped, otherwise full credit will not be issued according to the date the core is received back as illustrated below.

Amount of credit issued if core is received back within:

2 weeks >> full credit
3 weeks >> 50% of credit
4 weeks >> core return no longer accepted
Also, the core being returned must be in original factory condition. If there have been any holes drilled for alarm systems, cell phone holders or any modifications to the dash, full credit will not be issued.

Shipping cost :
We cover the cost of shipping the parts to you... Returning the OEM parts to us in regards to Shipping cost shouldnt be bad at all. I can tell you ground shipment is the way to go and also using the US post office helps save money as well opposed to UPS or Fed ex.

By owning a PatternTek core kit, you open the door to adding just about any other plastic part in your car when you decide to. Since Patterntek is UV stable and fade proof, future parts dipped in the PatternTek process will match your exsisting dash kit, like you bought all your parts at the same time.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
wait, is that serious? only 329? Seriously? add only the 175 for core charge? Hmmmm.................. Too bad I'm going to Cali this summer. This coulda been done to tha boombox this year!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts