Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill make this short and to the point...

Hooked up a Kicker zx750.1 Amp (750w rms @ 2ohm) to Kicker S10L7.

Im using 4awg from battery - split into 8awg thru Distro block - 8awg to Amp - 8awg to Ground

I turned the car on, the HU went thru its boot up thing after the battery had been disconnected. As soon as the audio tried to kick in, the front right speaker started popping like crazy. I shut the car off quick.

Checked all the wiring, it was connected good. Tried to turn car on again, the dash lit up then dimmed and everything shut off. I disconnected all the audio wiring, and the car started up fine....

Im clueless as to whats wrong. Ive had 3 different amps hooked up to this wiring in the xB. Never had a problem. Please advise.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
You're gonna need to check all of your wiring. That's a grounding problem for sure. Chances are that:

A: The positive wire somewhere, of ANY wire has lost a bit of shielding and is touching metal. Same goes for crossed wires.

B: Your grounding point isn't solid and contact isn't that great so it's refeeding the power through the positive wire.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you think the size of the power and ground have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
73 Posts
i hooked up two amps in my xb and at first was just running a sub and the front speakers then i finally got a chance to hook up the rear speakers and my front right speaker pops too, but only when i listen to music loud, or listen to something with lots of highs like something metal or rock???? is this the same problem? anybody its driving me crazy

·
Registered
73 Posts
i'm running a power wire from the battery to a power ditrubution block to a 550w sub amp and a 100x4 high amp

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
pull power from amp and turn the car on and see if it happens again. if not add fuse at the amp, if nothing then add fuse at the battery. you should be able to find the problem then.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As long as the power wire going into the amp and the ground from the amp are the same gauge then you are fine. I'm with BoomBox though I'm going with bad ground or a 12v source is touching something. Have you checked the remote wire? Are you running a high amp or just the one sub amp?
Removed all wiring, checked connections, and the speaker still pops when the car is shut off. when speaker is disconnected, nothing happens, when reconnected then I get pop again.

I was told that it may have to do with the "protection mode" on my HU and amp. It also could be a bad speaker.

When I hook up my 2nd amp and replace speakers with Kicker components, then we'll find out if it really is speaker or a wiring issue.

And the ground is attached to rear seat bolt. There really isnt a better ground in the hatch. I might rewire the Remote to somewhere besides the ACC wire... anyone know if its possible to connect the Remote to the fuse box? I figure I can get one of those fuse adapters that let you connect wires to a fuse. Just not sure if there is an open spot in fuse box that could be used...

·
RS4.0 #1526
193 Posts
Yes you can run the remote from the fuse block but it more than likely isn't the problem. I'm sure there is an open spot for it just haven't looked I'm not at that point in my install yet.

What kind of amp is pushing the front stage usually they have a visual warning that protection is occuring like red leds and whatnot.

·
Registered
382 Posts
You might want to try a better ground. If you cant run a ground wire directly from the battery back to were your amp is then try to find a better grounding spot. I have had issues in the past using the seat bolt grounding option

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
run 4guage straight to the amp now. see, you never specified what HU you are using. But I feel you have an amp that can't handle the choking 8 guage power and ground. And you need to ground to a good bolt and bare metal.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
run 4guage straight to the amp now. see, you never specified what HU you are using. But I feel you have an amp that can't handle the choking 8 guage power and ground. And you need to ground to a good bolt and bare metal.
lol, sorry. Yeah Im running 4awg for everything, I just forgot to update that part when I came back to this topic.

HU = Eclipse AVN6600

Ill try and find a better ground but there is really nothing better in the back. Im not going to run another 4awg to battery so thats out of the question.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts