Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
biscuits and gravy
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before summer comes around im doing some preventative maintenance on my ride. Recently (about 3 months) I've been having a squeal in one of my pulleys when I cold start. Lasts about 45 seconds -1 minute and is extremely disturbing for neighbors in the am. I'm shopping around and im leaning towards lighter components to help with throttle response but I dont want to disrupt the harmonic dampening properties of the existing crank pulley. So here are my questions

1.) Will replacing the existing harmonic dampener with a lightened (not underdrive) pulley have a negative effect on my cars harmonic balancing?
2.) If so, is there an elegant way to correct this?
3.) Is there a product you recommend for swapping out my old bushings (chassis) or should I just get OEM bushings?

If anyone has 80k plus miles of experience on a single engine with a lightened pulley I'd love to hear your input in particular but am open to any experiences. Gathering as much info as possible before I tear into my car.

·
Registered
26,572 Posts
Agree with the power steering belt but you ma need the belts adjusted as I had this and took it back and now no squeal any more !!!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Power steering belt is a PITA to adjust. When mine squeals it is usually the AC belt. I made a DIY adjuster for tightening the AC belt. It's in the DIY section.

Attachments

·
biscuits and gravy
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow this is great help, thanks y'all for the resources.

So my suspects are:
Power steering
AC
Crank
Or serpentine belt or any associated bearings. If anyone has XP with any of these please holler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts