TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
O' So Cool...

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Skeeter said:
One more pic, the acvent and the leds for the mirror and dimmer controls

That's the pic I was waiting for! Looks Cool.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Nice work. Have you tried any EL wire yet? You can get into some cool spots with it.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Man those are cool. I've been wanting to do the vents also. Its time for me to just go crazy with the CCs...

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the dash out installing all my stereo crap, I cramed a 5.25 in the dash where the 4.5's were, me and my dremmel tool did a little modification, so why it was out I put in the LED's, I wired them with plugs so when and if I need to pull the dash again I can just unplug them. My neon is the only thing left.

Taz, I tried elwire and I didnt like it, it didnt give off much light, the LED's are 10,000mcd that I picked up here in Houston at Electronic Parts Outlet andyou can see how bright they are.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Skeeter said:
I had the dash out installing all my stereo crap, I cramed a 5.25 in the dash where the 4.5's were, me and my dremmel tool did a little modification, so why it was out I put in the LED's, I wired them with plugs so when and if I need to pull the dash again I can just unplug them. My neon is the only thing left.

Taz, I tried elwire and I didnt like it, it didnt give off much light, the LED's are 10,000mcd that I picked up here in Houston at Electronic Parts Outlet andyou can see how bright they are.

They are bright, I'm just not a big fan of direct light points. I prefer more of a "glow" effect. Yours look good though, nice placement.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Skeeter - that looks friggin' hot! Nice job..

I hate to rain on your thread.. but could someone point to me a beginner's guide/DIY/something on hooking up LEDs like this? I know the electrical draw is next to nothing.. I just didn't know if hooking more than 5, 10, 15, 20, whatever LEDs directly to the battery is a smart idea or not.
I should've paid attention in high school when we discussed amps and voltage.. maybe then I wouldn't have such a dark box. Haha! Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well lets see, i just happen to have an electrical engineering degree so this is second hand to me, You can hook up as many LED's as you like to the battery as long as you have a current limiting resistor on the power lead, with out this resistor the LED's will smoke. These diodes only pull 20 milli-amps. Heres a link to figure out what size resistor you need for the current rating you are looking for.http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslaw.asp or heres antoher one you can enter your values in, you know the voltage is 14.4 or so, the current is usually .020 amps or 20 millamps per diode. Do a google search for led circuits and you will get a flood of links.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Who ever thought electrical engineering could make someone an expert in modding cars? :D

Thanks for the links - I'm considering pre-wired LEDs with resistors attached. I've gotta keep reading some more though.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chris Fuses??? I dont have a fuse on my LED's, the current draw is so low, and when a diode goes bad it shorts and blows immediately, it only take .020 amp or 20 millionths or 20 milli amps anythingover and BYE BYE of course all LED'sa re different and you have to read the documentation or data sheet on them. I do have fuses on my cathodes since those are at .5 amps for each cold cathode power supply. You can run several LED's inline with one resistor which would be a series circuit, but i chose to do a parrallel circuit and use a resistor for each LED, also in a parrallel circuit each LED has the same voltage and current. If anyone needs help just let me know. The 3 LED's for my controlls are connect to teh head light switch, so when the head lights are turned on the LED's come on.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Skeeter said:

Yeah, I could spend hours at that store, lots of cool goodies there!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The LED's are pointing down, so there is no glare in your eyes. You could hook them up to the dimmer circuit if you wanted to.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Big K, what how to hook them up to the dimmer? ll have to poke around in there tommorow and get the color codes for the wiring. I cant remember what the codes are down for the automatic shifter lighting. Ill try and get a pic tommorrow.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Skeeter said:
Chris Fuses??? I dont have a fuse on my LED's, the current draw is so low, and when a diode goes bad it shorts and blows immediately, it only take .020 amp or 20 millionths or 20 milli amps anythingover and BYE BYE of course all LED'sa re different and you have to read the documentation or data sheet on them. I do have fuses on my cathodes since those are at .5 amps for each cold cathode power supply. You can run several LED's inline with one resistor which would be a series circuit, but i chose to do a parrallel circuit and use a resistor for each LED, also in a parrallel circuit each LED has the same voltage and current. If anyone needs help just let me know. The 3 LED's for my controlls are connect to teh head light switch, so when the head lights are turned on the LED's come on.
You should have a fuse to protect the circuit,If you short the wirring the diode (LED) will not protect your car from catching fire.

Scott

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Skeeter said:
Big K, what how to hook them up to the dimmer? ll have to poke around in there tommorow and get the color codes for the wiring. I cant remember what the codes are down for the automatic shifter lighting. Ill try and get a pic tommorrow.
Domo arrigato...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.