Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently bought a 2005 xB with aftermarket 17" rims and the previous owner claimed that he got 35 mpg driving on the highway and I've been driving it for the last 2 weeks and am getting about 30 mpg as it's mixed city and highway, plus I have yet to figure out how to keep the RPM's from revving too much.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has plugged an ECU Chip into the OBDII to increase the fuel economy? I've read up on a few chips and found some that boast it'll increase the horse power and fuel economy. ACD is once such distributor (http://autochipsdirect.com/Scion Performance Chips/Scion XB 2004-2011) and I'm just curious if anyone has tried this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, fair enough. The brand of rims is hard to read, even when it's a few inches from my eyes. Since these pics were taken, I've put on Winjet Smoke Fog Lights and Spyder LED Smoke Tail Lights. Learned how to install both from reading articles on this site, which is why I joined.

---------- Post added 04-18-2014 at 09:36 PM ----------

That didn't work...try this again.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Looks good. TCM is one of my favorite non Release Series colors.
How much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no biggie, $7500. Looked at a few others from dealers and they were priced way higher. This one has 102k miles on it, which is about right for a commuter vehicle of 9 years old.

·
JokerBox
375 Posts
Welcome to the club. The rims kinda look like some made by a company called Focal.

---------- Post added 04-19-2014 at 06:00 PM ----------

Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone out there has plugged an ECU Chip into the OBDII to increase the fuel economy? I've read up on a few chips and found some that boast it'll increase the horse power and fuel economy. ACD is once such distributor (http://autochipsdirect.com/Scion Performance Chips/Scion XB 2004-2011) and I'm just curious if anyone has tried this.
I don't really like nor trust "chips" like this. They have a tendency to "argue" with the ecu, and ignore it. Which ends up causing you issues. Just be careful with them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, well I just filled my tank and had 34 mpg (310 miles for 8.9 gal), so I'll hold off for now with the chop. I was just checking to see if anyone uses one as it increases your horsepower by 50 or so.

·
Box Abuser
327 Posts
Welcome brother! Good to see another first gen!

Personally I don't trust or recommend 'chips'. Most are scam products, and at best they're performing resistor mods the ecu will cancel out or throw codes over. No magic to unlock in our tiny anemic blocks unfortunately.

We've got a club in the area, find Rocky Mountain Scion Club on Facebook if you're interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, well I'll just stick with Hypermiling as best as I can. If any of you haven't seen the Mythbusters episode on it, I highly recommend checking it out.

Now for those that want to see some of the recent mods, here's new pics:

---------- Post added 04-21-2014 at 12:23 PM ----------

We've got a club in the area, find Rocky Mountain Scion Club on Facebook if you're interested.
That's what I love to hear, done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts