Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello im pretty new to the bagging thing and from all the reading i kind of wanted to know what exact parts and brand would be best that i need to piece together my own airbag system i also wanted to go digital if that is better. any information will help thank you for you time..... jstoybox

·
Registered
158 Posts

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I will suggest Universal Air in San Bernardino. (not stopping to see where you're located) They have good stuff, good prices and great customer service.
www.universalairsuspension.com

As for the digital monitoring system, if you have the bucks go for it. It was out of my price range but if I could have done it I would.

ps: Doobie has a complete setup for sale.

·
Floating Around Somewhere
11,800 Posts
As for the digital monitoring system, if you have the bucks go for it. It was out of my price range but if I could have done it I would.

^^^ I agree with Taz on that one. ^^^

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If you are new to bags... you should start here...

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=106196

An excellent resource for xB air suspension if I do say so myself. ;)

And to be quite honest, if you are new to bags I would avoid Chassis Tech / AIM like the plague. Yes, Randode is using Chassis Tech components on his car. But, Randode is also very experienced with air suspension, and has a working relationship and lives near Chassis Tech.

Ask anyone else in the know and they can tell you about Chassis Tech / AIM/ Joe Morrow's reputation.

If you are looking to piece together an air suspension system, I would get the Airlift / Easystreet front and rear kit. Then piece together your own air management. I would go Dakota Digital for controls and air monitoring, but there are other options out there. Check out TerribleTed's setup for a very well put together system. (You may also want to consider some custom Cusco camber plates to address positive camber issues on the Easystreet struts.)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
does anyone know how hard it is to diy for the airbag system? taz i heard you did yours, how did it go and do you have a step by step information you could share with me? thanks for everyones imput by the way... jstoybox

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
does anyone know how hard it is to diy for the airbag system? taz i heard you did yours, how did it go and do you have a step by step information you could share with me? thanks for everyones imput by the way... jstoybox
I didn't do a DIY on mine but as soon as Cravin gets off his arse we will be installing his and doing a write up on it. Every system will be basically the same, just different mounts and choices on compressors, tanks and valves. I'm in the process of re-running my air lines now, I'll post up pics in a few days of the upgrades.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
all im going to say about the digital managment is make sure you have the computer somewhere where it wont over heat. Ive dealt with mine overheating several times and it sucks. Make sure its in a ventilating area.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I am running Airlift front struts and rear springs. There is an issue with the front struts making rattling noises. Airlift is at this time redesigning their struts to fix this. I would wait till their new struts are available and then purchase their stuff. I am happy with mine except for the annoying rattle at low speeds (sounds like a sway bar bushing is missing). I used Air Ride Technologies digital level sensing control system (Level Pro), Dakota digital makes a similar system. The best digital control system uses a mechanical electrical sensor to feed a computer to be able to memorize and reset preset heights at will, not just digital pressure readouts. Installing the sensors is a bit invloved but is not particularly hard to do. You will need a welder to weld some tabs on suspension arms for the actuating links to the sensors. You will also need to fabricate mounting brackets for the sensors and tinker with the rod lengths to make them work properly (dakota digital uses the same sensors as Air Ride or at least evry similar so the work will be the same with either brand. I have my alignment height(riding height) memorized and simply push a button to return to within 1/8 inch of that setting every time regardless of air temperature (which changes the pressure necessary to get a given height). I am glad I spent the extra money to go this route. For accuracy 1/4 inch lines are used so it does not go up and down fast. If you want fast , I would say forget the sensors and use either a digital or gauge monitored pressure based system (but it will not be very accurate for actual vehicle height unless you measure when you level...(altho you will get pretty close if you know that xx psi at 80 degrees is what you have to put on an 80 degree day to get to level...etc). With the clearances I have in my xB with my tire and wheel combo....pretty dam tight..... moving fast would be a BAD idea anyway:) I recommend that if you can fit it put at least a 5 gallon tank. I have 1 3 gallon and really need more air as I deplete the tank bringing it up from all the way down one time. In fact I can not bring it up all the way on one tank of air. I mounted my 3 gallon crossways under the rear and with a bit of tinkering a second 3 gallon can go there also....soon I will add a second 3 gallon tank.

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
ok im gonnna be baggen my car real soon :) should i pay the extra cash and get the digital kit thing or should i just have the switches if i do just switches how would i know if there is a leak or anything would my car just fall to the ground if there is a leak or what im all new to this to so i would like more info about all this stuff:) also how do bags pop and all that thanks guys for ur info

·
Registered
39 Posts
if you go with a switch box, you still be able to detect a leak , the car/truck with drop psi after so much time . depending on how bad a leak will depend how fast it will drop. like a small leak will let out over night , but a large one can go as fast as you put the air into something.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
If you end up doing your own install a spray bottle with soapy water in it will become your friend! Use it to find air leaks. It took me a while to locate all the tiny little leaks but once it's done you'll find your compressors won't kick on every time you start the Box.

I finished redoing my air lines using extra 90 degree fittings and I find it's working the same but there is a lot less stress on the air lines.

My new digital gauges...

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.