Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need some input (what parts would you like to see me design)

As some of you may have read in other posts I work in the automotive industry in computer aided engineering. I have access to just about any engineering software possible (work at one of the big three right now). A coworker and I are talking about starting a business offering two completely different services.

The first on is we are going to start working on designing parts to do one of two things with. First thing would ideally be to design parts and manufacture them to sell to other retail companies or the public direct. The other thing would be design parts and sell the design to other companies to produce and sell.

I know their is extra love for JDM parts or parts from Japan on here. Would people be interested in parts that are designed using our engineering background to make sure that their is actual performance improvement.

An example is this. I am thinking of designing a complete 4 wheel disc brake system, and a hybrid suspension that could possibly include coil overs and a way to adjust ride height in car for speedbumps. I am also looking into chassis bracing. If I did design this it would probably be made in China.

That is where the question lies, would you be willing to buy something made in China for your xb or bb? (We already have manufacturing connections. If any other companies are interested in production in China contact me and I will see if we can be of assistance)

If so what other types of parts would you be interested in?

The other part of our company would be parts locating (like others do on here). I am in the process of looking for some JDM bb parts for my car and wondering what other people are looking for. I will try to help you locate them.

Just needed to get my ideas out there for feedback. Thank you for your time.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Where exactly the part was made never really influenced me to buy a part over another part. Cost is always my biggest factor, if I can't affort something I either look for it cheaper or scratch the whole idea.

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to hear that.

What type of parts are people looking for? I have the ability between myself and my coworker to design anything imaginable.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Lightweight alternator and power steering pulleys (not underdrive). Adj. Pillow mounts. Billet inner door handles like the JDM ones I've seen, A/C knobs, Shift boot bezels, Gauge rings and cup holder rings. Thread in tow hooks that look like the good tow hooks (not a loop).

Lightweight throttle body cable pulley thing (i've seen them for other cars). Like Below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Agen...ryZ38656QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

And I get the hook up on any of these parts that you produce.:)

]

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lightweight alternator and power steering pulleys (not underdrive). Adj. Pillow mounts. Billet inner door handles like the JDM ones I've seen, A/C knobs, Shift boot bezels, Gauge rings and cup holder rings. Thread in tow hooks that look like the good tow hooks (not a loop).

Lightweight throttle body cable pulley thing (i've seen them for other cars). Like Below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Agen...ryZ38656QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

And I get the hook up on any of these parts that you produce.:)

]
A lot of those parts are in our plans. For tow hook do you want thru bumper, hood or both? I actually know someone who I think has a JDM bumper one for a reference. I am intrigued by the thru hood one though.

For trim rings would you want plastic, metal you could paint, fiberglass?, brushed steel, powdercoated a selction of colors?

Yes if you help with an idea we will do our best to provide the hookup in return.

I have also been approached about fuel rails, cat back exhaust, header, intake, turbo improvement, supercharger improvement.

I thought of this one today. How many of you have removed the front splashguards? How about nice smooth paintable front wheel well liners?

I will be working on some things, I am trying my best to find the CAD model of our car. I may have to use the calipers and make my own cad model from a scaled model.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Either tow hook would work, I'm thinking something that would thread into the front tow hook location that looks like the real deal.

Trim rings could be any of them that fit and mount around the oval around the cup holders or the circles around the outer a/c vents.

The others you listed would be good too, just pricey.

A high flow mid pipe with cat delete option would be nice.

I was thinking about the intake manifold but that would need a lot of R&D.

A lot of those parts are in our plans. For tow hook do you want thru bumper, hood or both? I actually know someone who I think has a JDM bumper one for a reference. I am intrigued by the thru hood one though.

For trim rings would you want plastic, metal you could paint, fiberglass?, brushed steel, powdercoated a selction of colors?

Yes if you help with an idea we will do our best to provide the hookup in return.

I have also been approached about fuel rails, cat back exhaust, header, intake, turbo improvement, supercharger improvement.

I thought of this one today. How many of you have removed the front splashguards? How about nice smooth paintable front wheel well liners?

I will be working on some things, I am trying my best to find the CAD model of our car. I may have to use the calipers and make my own cad model from a scaled model.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Heck yeah I'd be interested. I have much love for true JDM parts, but when it comes to price, I'm with Padanky. I search everywhere first and then go for the best deal.

You say anything imaginable huh? What about overhead handles that have a bit more oomph to them, or ones that come with prefabbed locations for leds and such?
A new headliner with premolded spots for installation of flip-down tv's or again, adding leds.
How about creating some designs for rear spoilers?
I'm also interested in having rear well splash guards. If any of you have ever cleaned back in that area, it definitely grimes up A LOT of dirt and road debris. I can think of many more things, but a lot of them have already been stated.

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not afraid of the R&D costs because I will be doing it all on the computer and then I have the ability to design the molds for the manufaturer. Sometime this spring or summer we hope to have a space to get the three axis (converted to 4) CNC machine out.

If I get the CAD model of our cars I could have new body kits, spoilers, wheel liners etc...... done soon.

I am going to be doing something for the headliner and tv mount. Mine looks rediculously cheap and I need to have a dark headliner put in.

Is anyone on here a member of SEMA they are supposed to be able to get the CAD model of competitior vehicles. Or does anyone have access to a 3D scanner. You could scan in a black version of a morel car and I can work from that.

I am glad to see I am not wasting my time. We are also going to be doing motorcycle parts and once we get the cnc machine out we can do engraving to.

If you have a really good idea that you do not want to make to public feel free to pm me or email me. My work email is [email protected].

Also let me know if you are interested in being part of the review panel. Depending on how many people are interested I will be selecting a few people to be my test audience. When I have a design I will share it with them to get feedback on it. I would reward them with a special price plan. Once we have a name we would of course provide you with vinyl to show your selected position. The vinyl would very unobtrusive and your choice to run. I actually would rather have you list my company in your signature on all of your forums. That is better exposure in my opinion.
But I am getting a head of myself.

Keep up the ideas.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
You know you can count me in on your review panel.

Billet Old School mirrors that bolt-on, nice set of billet pedals w/ dead pedal, Billet dress up kit for under hood, billet OSH handles, Billet knobs & rings, billet inner hatch cover, billet rear hatch handle cover, billet one piece fff, billet everything.

Front windshield Visor that matches the esam's and lets the air escape, esam's style qtr glass visor.

Old School luggage rack like on the old VW's. Now I'm just pulling stuff out my a$$.

Woo Hoo, 4000th post. God, I'm a looser!:)

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
what about a throttle body spacer?. i havent heard/seen anything about them for the scion. their very popular for other applications.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
what about a throttle body spacer?. i havent heard/seen anything about them for the scion. their very popular for other applications.
Design Chaos make them already, Check the performance section, or search "TBS"

·
bB Squad
562 Posts
As some of you may have read in other posts I work in the automotive industry in computer aided engineering. I have access to just about any engineering software possible (work at one of the big three right now). A coworker and I are talking about starting a business offering two completely different services.

The first on is we are going to start working on designing parts to do one of two things with. First thing would ideally be to design parts and manufacture them to sell to other retail companies or the public direct. The other thing would be design parts and sell the design to other companies to produce and sell.

I know their is extra love for JDM parts or parts from Japan on here. Would people be interested in parts that are designed using our engineering background to make sure that their is actual performance improvement.

An example is this. I am thinking of designing a complete 4 wheel disc brake system, and a hybrid suspension that could possibly include coil overs and a way to adjust ride height in car for speedbumps. I am also looking into chassis bracing. If I did design this it would probably be made in China.

That is where the question lies, would you be willing to buy something made in China for your xb or bb? (We already have manufacturing connections. If any other companies are interested in production in China contact me and I will see if we can be of assistance)

If so what other types of parts would you be interested in?

The other part of our company would be parts locating (like others do on here). I am in the process of looking for some JDM bb parts for my car and wondering what other people are looking for. I will try to help you locate them.

Just needed to get my ideas out there for feedback. Thank you for your time.

Definetly would be interested inthe 4 wheel disk brake, as for importing products, i like the fabulous exhaust and kenstyle exhaust.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.