Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,713 Posts
OK, if you are burning oil and have developed a tick then I would suggest looking into a replacement engine. You most likely have run into the oil consumption issue with these engines. The fix is to replace the pistons and ring with the updated parts and replace or repair any other issues that have happened due to oil starvation. This gets very expensive if you are out of warranty. Toyota did extend the warranty 10 years or 150K miles, which ever comes first, for this specific problem. If you are not still under warranty then it's generally considered cheaper to drop a good used engine in instead of doing all the engine work. Already posted a shop recommendation on one of your other posts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Got some clicking in the top end but engine runs perfectly. Sounds like a broken spring or set. Too much for me mechanically speaking. ..... Anyone? View attachment 80725 View attachment 80726 View attachment 80727 View attachment 80728 View attachment 80729
Sposidly the Second Gen's are bad about burning oil.

me: would run engine flush per the instructions on the bottle with the oil on the top mark on the dipstick.
Then change the oil and filter and run the engine idling for at least 15 minutes at normal operating temp. then change the oil and filter again.

on an oil change, I first pour in a bottle of https://www.amazon.com/High-Mileage...motive&sprefix=polydyn+t,automotive,63&sr=1-9
and a bottle of https://www.amazon.com/ATP-AT-205-R...=automotive&sprefix=at+2,automotive,69&sr=1-3

then top it off with the oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, if you are burning oil and have developed a tick then I would suggest looking into a replacement engine. You most likely have run into the oil consumption issue with these engines. The fix is to replace the pistons and ring with the updated parts and replace or repair any other issues that have happened due to oil starvation. This gets very expensive if you are out of warranty. Toyota did extend the warranty 10 years or 150K miles, which ever comes first, for this specific problem. If you are not still under warranty then it's generally considered cheaper to drop a good used engine in instead of doing all the engine work. Already posted a shop recommendation on one of your other posts.
I agree with Greg S comments and would add it could be the timing chain. If it is loose, it will make a noise and if you don’t do anything about it, the engine will self-destruct when the engine timing jumps timing because this is an interference engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts