Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ALright, 2005 XB with a 5/04 build date, been a great car but I let my friend in another state borrow it for a while and getting it back last week I realized my AC doesnt work, which is a BIG problem seeing as I live in Dallas, TX and it is constantly 100+ in the summer with 40% and higher humidity.

Everything blows as it should, just not cold.

I have checked fuses in car and bay and both are good, have done a recharge and it didnt help at all, low side port didnt even get cold when recharging. When I turn the AC on inside I get the green light, the car surges and the rpm's drop about 100 or so and then come back up so Im pretty sure clutch is engaging. I have checked low side and high side pressure port and while running I get about 45 PSI low and 150 high. I also checked the view port and through there I get a steady stream of bubbles. I have cleaned the condenser however the lower part has some dents and what not.

The fan does engage behind condenser and does run.

I dont know what else to check, the thing is that is the air is semi cool, I mean not cold but def cooler than the outside texas air by far. It blows about 75-80 at the vents.

I dont know what else to do, anyone that has ideas please help me its driving me crazy, :eek::confused::eek: any help is appreciated. Thanks. :)

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope pinching cable didnt work. I dont have a set of professional gauges so I cant check the gih side, I dropped some through low side port but and checked it with auto sone gauge that came with my AC refill kit. :) I am getting the proper bubble on the sight gauge.

Any other thing I can check before I go on to replace the compressor, I guess would the compressor still engage like it does if it wasnt working properly?

---------- Post added 07-24-2012 at 07:40 PM ----------

It kinda seemed to be working coming back from Arkansas but it was raining and about 75 at night, but it was def cold, I had a can of fresh synthetic polar ice freeon so I dumped all the freeon from the low side port until it had 0 PSI then I refilled it with the fresh can, could the drier or whatever be shot and causing me not to get cold air?

·
jpfxB
4,139 Posts
Stop looking at the bubbles lol. Need to have it checked out professionally imo. It costs a lot less to have know for sure vs throwing parts at it. Without proper gauges and knowing charge level you're shooting in the dark friend.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I did take it somewhere a few days ago and he pulled a vacuum on the lines and it held, put dye in it and had gauges on it and refilled it, then comes in and tells me my compressor is shot. But he also said the part is 1800 and he would install for 900.00, So I found reason not to believe him, it was a little shop here in dallas that wasnt very busy. He said well your compressor works but its broken, as in the parts on the inside are not working. He did have HVAC gauges hooked up to high and low while and after pulling the vacuum.

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
You can find brand new compressor for as low as $400 (google is your friend, also check ebay).
Slightly incorrect pressures readings may be because it was checked at idle and not at 1500 RPM.
When it's running at max cool is the larger diameter A/C pipe getting cold?
Before replacing expensive part you gotta be sure the compressor is getting the right signal from the A/C amplifier, max cool switch and the cooler thermistor signals are correct and few other things. Very few shops know how to diagnose the new systems as they are very different from what everyone is used to working on: there is no clutch or expansion valve, the compressor is controlled by a modulated voltage signal, etc, etc.
Factory info: http://scionlife.org/Scion_Docs/200...pair Manual/55 - Heater and Air Conditioning/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts