Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The GoatFather
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my xB only has 1700 miles on it and it is blowing blue smoke when I take off or get on it to pass. Is this normal for a new engine? I was told the my rings might not have set yet, but I would have thought that they would have by now! Should I call the dealership?

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
if it's visible it's not good. it happens when the cars are brand new like first few hundred miles , and then when the rings are bad.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Shouldn't be normal. I've ran my xB down the 1/4mile 8 times before even 500miles and have never had smoke. Just past 15k and still never smoke.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Smoking is bad for your lungs and for the xB. Better get that checked out soon. Warranty is a good thing. :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yeah. That motor is toast. It should NEVER do that when the car is new. There is that other white smoke that disspiates REALLY fast. That's normal. Usually happens when the car is cold & lots of humidity is present, but blue smoke that comes out of the exhaust while the engine is under heavy loading & that takes a long while to dissipate is a sign that the motor has a bad head gasket, bad piston ring(s), or somethng major like that.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Good luck Goat! I hope they get you taken care of. I had a Honda CR-X that had a computer poblem one time. It was telling the fuel system to send too much fuel into the intake. Basically, the car was flooding itself. It had some blue smoke as well. The computer was shot. Once reset, the car ran perfect and smoke free.

·
The GoatFather
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, after spending the day at the dealership, they couldn't get it to smoke! They ran a compression test, pulled codes (had none), checked the plugs, external and internal leak checks, sprayed something in the cylinders (don't remember what he called it), but couldn't find anything wrong. It never felt like it wasn't running right and I never saw it smoke as I'm the one that's always driving it. So I guess I'll just drive it til it dies!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Maybe some bad gas??? Interesting.... Could have also been during the period the ECU was "learning" I believe during this time it makes adjustments to timing and fuel maps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
GoatiusMaximus said:
Well, after spending the day at the dealership, they couldn't get it to smoke! They ran a compression test, pulled codes (had none), checked the plugs, external and internal leak checks, sprayed something in the cylinders (don't remember what he called it), but couldn't find anything wrong. It never felt like it wasn't running right and I never saw it smoke as I'm the one that's always driving it. So I guess I'll just drive it til it dies!

What did the compression test read?

Toyotas are known for having issues with oil consumption from time to time. Its pretty rare but I have a friend who has a new celica who had the dealer replace the shortblock after she complained enough about going through a quart of oil every 1000-1500 miles. Her car also had less than 40K on it.

·
NEXT LEVEL MOTORING
3,810 Posts
we had our 2000 4runner running sluggish all of a sudden. took it in to the dealer, and told me yadayadayada.......said that it was the coilpack which is not covered under warranty, i paid HUGE.

back on the road, and still the same, took it back, more yadayadayada........wanted me to pay more, and anyways to make it short, burnt valve, bad parts. i was upset due to them giving me the run around, so i got hold of the reg. gen. mgr. and they took care of me and then some.

thanks to SCVSCIONS for diagnosing with his expertise!
cert. tech to boot!!

·
The GoatFather
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't know what the tests read, but I had checked the oil before I took it in and it was at the full mark. It hasn't run sluggish or felt like it had a miss. It has ran excellent the whole time I've had it. Just that a couple people had told me that it was smoking so I figured I should have it checked.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.