Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK

As some of you may know, I purchased the Sportmax 501's. Gunmetal, +15 offset. They will be here in roughly a week. They will NOT be on the box until a month later, when the weather is warmer, and I can afford to get the tires mounted/balanced.

Anyways, I'm looking for suggestions on the different sizes of tires, what stretch they'd give, and so forth. No, I do NOT require name dropping, but sizing. I know there's a thead about wheels and offsets and what people are running, but I need something a bit more....Niche.

I'd also like to know, since some of you are already running them, what spacers are you using, and do I need spacers?

I'm planning on getting some OTG camber plates for the rear, and for anyone running those, are you using spacers? What about camber up front? I do plan on dropping the box on a 2" spring, when I can get them, for now, they're just my saggy TRDs - which may get cut, that's another thread.

This will be my first 15x8 run and I'd like to go stretched, of course. I know many have thrown the stock tires on, and have had excellent success.

I spent a few hours earlier tonight before the post of the CnD leak, and I searched Sportmax, 501, 002, 15x8, stretch(ed) and so forth with no luck. So please do not flame me if this has been posted elsewhere. If it HAS, ScionScotty, do us all a favor and just delete the thread, and point me in the right direction.

Please help a brotha out. Thanks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
The 3 sizes that are use the most are 185/60 (stock) , 195/50, 205/50. You could also use a 195/45. I have the 501's and will be running the stock tires which will give you the most stretch of the 4. Some people are running into problems getting the stock tires mounted because of the stretch so you might have to look around.

I will be on Tanabe DF 210's and Toyota Echo struts to get an extra 1/2" in the front. For spacers I would just go with a 5mm in the rear. These rims are designed for the xB so not much is needed. If you do 10mm in the rear you might get some rubbing problems if your fenders aren't rolled.

Hope this info helps.

·
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yes, yes it does. Very much! Thank you!

Anyone else with tidbits of info?

BTW, I don't really need such an aggressive stretch like some have with the stocks. If my stock tires are good enough to use for a few months, I'll try to get those mounted, but since it's my DD I'd like to keep it as "safe" as possible.

If it comes down to getting a tires that are a bit wider so it's not as stretched, that's ok with me. I just wanna make sure I do things right the first time. Ya hear?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I hear ya. I was told by a cousin of mine than managed a Just Tires that its not that bad of a stretch for the tire. There are quite a few guys on here running stocks with a 15x8. I probably wouldn't do any road course racing on them but for driving you should be fine. Look into a 195/50 I have seen those going for 39.00 a tire. They are Kumho I do believe. I can get you a link if your interested.

·
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm good on the link. I'm just more concerned on what would fit, and so forth. I think there may be a couple of months use left of my stockies, and then onto something a tidbit wider so the stretch isn't so much. Like I said, I LOVE taking corners, and I know going stretched isn't the best way, but I couldn't stand not going with a rim that makes the xB look sick.

That, and I can't afford staggered 19's. Lol.

·
Registered
66 Posts
195/50 is a little too small. If you want your speedo to be off, go ahead and get them.

I run 195/55 on my 15 x 8 Work wheels. It has a minor stretch but I didnt want a huge one because I drive a little quick in the curves for a super stretched tire. Here is a pic from the back to give you an idea of the stretch. Its actually a little more stretched looking in person but you get the idea.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Brian, is that 15x8 +25/10? Are you running any spacers in the rear? How low are you? I was thinking of getting 195/55 too for my 15x8 steelies...
That is the correct offset but you need to know a few things about that pic.

when that pic was taken i was still on my winter suspension (TRD springs/struts etc) so its only a slight drop. I also had OTG 10mm rear hub spacers so that offset is actually 0 in that pic. thats why it sticks out so much in the rear.

I have one pic of the car on my coilovers (D2's set around a 3 inch drop) and OTG rear camber plates. No spacers. Sorry about the angle, it was taken from a deck at the beach house we were staying at last summer.

·
-[bB SQUAd]-
606 Posts
i have the same wheels only im using 195/50 and on tein basics all the way down... the pics have bad angles but these are the only ones i have at the moment. i hope it helps.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
^^They are Work Equips and are discontinued, and yeah they can be pretty expensive.

There are replicas of it that can be found on eBay for cheap, but they are far from the same quality.

·
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, yes guys. This info REALLY helps me a lot! This is why I love clubxb. Always willing to throw in a few pics too!

They should be here next week. If I can get the stock tires mounted, I'll use those for now, speedo off or not.

I really appreciate this info guys, you guys totally rock!

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
^^^What spacers are you using, I have the same set-up with 5mm in rear and stock tires and haven't rubbed yet.

·
Registered
155 Posts
well...im thinking of getting some red 501s in about 2 months and im planing on mounting them on the stock tires.i drive about 130 miles round trip every day .average about75-80 mph on the freeway.now ...will i have problems with the stretch of the stock tires on these wheels.meaning safety issues.if so what tires would you guys recomend.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I'm running my stocks till they wear out. I've cornered really hard on them, and they don't seem to suck too bad. They don't feel like 18's, but I don't think anything with more than 3/4" of sidewall will.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts